• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting High Quality Active Stereo Speakers to PC Sound Card

mj30250

For over 10 years, my PC speaker setup has consisted of a Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speaker system connected to a Windows PC via a Sound Blaster card of some sort, which is currently a Sound Blaster Z. I am considering doing away with the multichannel speakers and going with an "end game" 2 channel desktop system in the form of Neumann KH 150s. Their primary use will be for critical music listening while at my desk. Because my current system is essentially plug-and-play, I've never had the need to know how to properly connect up an active 2 channel system.

The 150s have RCA and XLR connections (no optical). The Sound Blaster Z has a single 3.5mm output port for both L/R channels (see below). My question is, how would I connect the 150s to the Sound Blaster without compromising any of their superb sound quality and without introducing noise/hiss into the signal stream? Would I need a different sound card entirely? Would a simple Y connector / adapter do the trick? Or would I want to look at an external DAC of some kind? Apologies for my complete lack of expertise in this area, and thanks in advance for any guidance.

full

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would suggest an external DAC, that has balanced outputs and with a USB input connection.
Topping E50 DAC ($200-$250), plus two cables, 1/4" jack to XLR jack.

BeerBear

The 150s have RCA and XLR connections (no optical)...
Note that the RCA inputs are digital (either S/PDIF or AES3, depending on the speaker model).
Your soundcard has optical S/PDIF out, which can be converted to RCA (coaxial) with a box.
But maybe your motherboard already has RCA S/PDIF out. Or you can buy a cheap dedicated soundcard with RCA S/PDIF.

You can also try connecting the 3.5mm analog out to the XLR inputs... It works with the right cable/adapter.

But a digital connection should give you the best quality, without the analog noise from the soundcard/DAC.
It's also the most direct connection for these speakers, because they operate with internal DSP (at 48kHz samplerate). Using an analog connection would involve two additional conversions (DA and AD).

Last edited:

jmf11

I wonder if the digital input of speakers like the KH150 have some "jitter mitigation". I imagine that the spdif of the sound card may not have a top notch clock, so that it could be a weak link in the chain.

Jmf

Top Bottom