• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting Google Chromecast Audio Media Streamer (CCA) with Amazon Music HD.

wasclywabbit

I recently purchased a CCA audio streaming device so I can stream hi quality audio. I control it via my Android. The audio "out" of the CCA is connected to the auxiliary "in" on my stereo receiver. I added the CCA through Google Home. I then downloaded Amazon Music HD to my Android. After that there appeared an option when playing a song on Amazon to "Select a Device to Play Music." When I do that it lists the Living Room Speakers (the receiver) as an option. When I select that I get a test tone followed by the music through the speakers. That's all I had to do to set it up. I am now trying to connect my daughter's iPhone in a similar fashion. I've installed both Amazon Music HD and Google Home on the iPhone. All the devices in question here are connected to the same channel on my WiFi router. The Problem: When I click the Select a Device to Play Music"on the iPhone the "Living Room Speakers" option doesn't appear. Here's the weird part. When I use the iPhone to control the Living Room Speaker through Google Home it plays tracks from a Spotify app that I uninstalled on the iPhone, not the Amazon HD app that's playing on the iPhone. I spent two hours yesterday with some well meaning but marginally competent folks on Amazon's chat who finally told me the problem is Google's, not theirs. I'm not sure - in fact I have no idea - how the two apps link up. It just "happened"on my phone. Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently purchased a CCA audio streaming device so I can stream hi quality audio. I control it via my Android. The audio "out" of the CCA is connected to the auxiliary "in" on my stereo receiver. I added the CCA through Google Home. I then downloaded Amazon Music HD to my Android. After that there appeared an option when playing a song on Amazon to "Select a Device to Play Music." When I do that it lists the Living Room Speakers (the receiver) as an option. When I select that I get a test tone followed by the music through the speakers. That's all I had to do to set it up. I am now trying to connect my daughter's iPhone in a similar fashion. I've installed both Amazon Music HD and Google Home on the iPhone. All the devices in question here are connected to the same channel on my WiFi router. The Problem: When I click the Select a Device to Play Music"on the iPhone the "Living Room Speakers" option doesn't appear. Here's the weird part. When I use the iPhone to control the Living Room Speaker through Google Home it plays tracks from a Spotify app that I uninstalled on the iPhone, not the Amazon HD app that's playing on the iPhone. I spent two hours yesterday with some well meaning but marginally competent folks on Amazon's chat who finally told me the problem is Google's, not theirs. I'm not sure - in fact I have no idea - how the two apps link up. It just "happened"on my phone. Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I doubt the problem is googles. I suspect its amazon HD app not set up to chromecast. Took them ages to get their video app to chromecast.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the OP may have gone, but does anyone know if the Amazon HD app on iOS allows casting to chromecast/ cast built in devices?

Taddpole

Looks like the OP may have gone, but does anyone know if the Amazon HD app on iOS allows casting to chromecast/ cast built in devices?

Just had someone test it on current ipad mini with amazon music playing an UHD track, and it wouldn't show google home or even amazon devices that their android phone could see on the same network, it would only look for airplay.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just had someone test it on current ipad mini and it wouldn't show google home or even amazon devices that their android phone could see on the same network, it would only look for airplay.

Ah yes, the eternal apple /amazon /google love triangle. At any given point at least one isn't playing nicely with at least one other. Pathetic.

They will all point at each other when asked why it doesn't work too.

Taddpole

Ah yes, the eternal apple /amazon /google love triangle. At any given point at least one isn't playing nicely with at least one other. Pathetic.

They will all point at each other when asked why it doesn't work too.

Just surprised that amazon music casting to chromecast was belatedly sorted albeit not at uhd levels. Maybe one day.

Trying to find a receiver that works with all the HD services is proving a struggle, all seem to work with some but not all.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just surprised that amazon music casting to chromecast was belatedly sorted albeit not at uhd levels. Maybe one day.

Trying to find a receiver that works with all the HD services is proving a struggle, all seem to work with some but not all.

I fear their methods are working. Pick hardware partners and limit their ability to work with select other content providers.

Fwiw, my Cambridge audio cxn v2 has Spotify connect (OK, not HD, but plays nicely), tidal built in (not mqa) And you can cast from android qobuz and I believe amazon. Not sure about HD on the last 2.

Farce!

pwboater

I just subscribed to the free 90 day trial of AMHD and connected my Chromecast Audio to my Denon receiver. I was streaming from my chrome browser and it worked for about a week and then I lost the "HD" badges yesterday and haven't been able to the high res music back. Weird I can stream standard music, but not the HD or ULTRA HD. I contacted AM customer service who basically said what we all know about Google, Amazon and Apple don't like to play in the same "sandbox" but "they are working on it". If anyone has found a workaround, please kindly post for others.
Would love to utilize the terrific, but strangely discontinued Google Chromecast Audio device.

Taddpole

I just subscribed to the free 90 day trial of AMHD and connected my Chromecast Audio to my Denon receiver. I was streaming from my chrome browser and it worked for about a week and then I lost the "HD" badges yesterday and haven't been able to the high res music back. Weird I can stream standard music, but not the HD or ULTRA HD. I contacted AM customer service who basically said what we all know about Google, Amazon and Apple don't like to play in the same "sandbox" but "they are working on it". If anyone has found a workaround, please kindly post for others.
Would love to utilize the terrific, but strangely discontinued Google Chromecast Audio device.

I think it wasn't playing HD despite the badges showing.

They don't claim that it works above standard level.

Suspect all you have lost are the badges and you've only ever had non HD playing.

Top Bottom