• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

connecting amplifier to sound card

kulak

Since our Behringer UMC sound card does not give the desired level, we want to strengthen the output with an amplifier. Our sound card has 2 channels and we need at least 7 outputs. The system we want to set up will give 130 dB output between 125 and 20 kHz and will have at least 7 channels.
1) Can we control the 7 outputs separately when we connect the amplifier to the sound card?
2) Will this process be with a single cable? is it necessary to compress the audio data?
3) Does this system increase corruption?
4 ) Can you explain how to connect an 8 channel amplifier to a 2 channel sound card and how to control each output separately?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seems like you need a sound card with a 7.1 speaker output.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Congratulations!

This is the most mixed up question on asr that i ever did read. And i swear i did read a lot. See it would be much more easy to tell what you have and what you like to reach?

130dB output? What you talk about? 7 seperate channels with a stereo signal?

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The soundcard puts-out a line level signal. It cannot drive an 4 or 8-Ohm speaker. You need audio power amplifiers or powered/active speakers. (Regular computer speakers are "powered".)

The system we want to set up will give 130 dB output between 125 and 20 kHz and will have at least 7 channels.
The loudness depends on amplifier power, speaker sensitivity, speaker power handling capability, how close you are to the speakers, and reflections in the room. You're going to need "big" amplifiers and "big" speakers. It's hard to predict but you're talking about "rock concert" equipment.

1) Can we control the 7 outputs separately when we connect the amplifier to the sound card?
It depends on what you mean by "control". Each of the 7 amplifiers can have a separate volume control knob. If you want to control the volume from the computer you'll need a 7.1 channel soundcard or multiple soundcards and appropriate software. With "surround sound" it's easy to use a multi-channel recording, but if you want to control the channels in real-time that's going to take some special software.

2) Will this process be with a single cable?
Multi-channel digital can go over one cable but once the digital is converted to analog you'll need multiple mono or stereo cables. A "regular" 5.1 channel soundcard has three 2-channel outputs (left & right front, left & right rear, and center & LFE) so that's 3 regular "stereo" cables for six channels.

is it necessary to compress the audio data?
No.

3) Does this system increase corruption?
Corruption? You mean distortion? As long as your amplifiers & speakers are powerful enough you won't get excess distortion. I have huge speakers in my living room but I'd get distortion (and damaged ears) if I tried to get 130dB!

4 ) Can you explain how to connect an 8 channel amplifier to a 2 channel sound card and how to control each output separately?
You'll need a volume control on each input or for each channel. There are stereo amplifiers with two knobs but you probably won't find an 8-channel amp with 8 knobs. You'll probably need stereo (or mono) amps to get the kind of power you need.

Top Bottom