• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting a subwoofer to an RME ADI2 PRO with Genelec Speakers

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all,

I have a question about how to correctly connect up my subwoofers to an RME ADI2 PRO FS R be and also which mode to have the RME set to.

My set up will soon be as follows;

Source 1 - Intel NUC (ROON Core) -------- USB ---------- RME
Source 2 - TV -------- TOSLINK ---------- RME
Output 1 - RME ------ AES break-out ---- AES/EBU --- Genelec 8341AWM
Output 2 - RME ------ PH 3/4 ---- TRS/XLR ---- Arendal 1723 S1 (x2)

My subs are being run as "dual mono".
I am aware that I will have to have the RME Output PH 3/4 copy the main out 1/2 signal in order for my subs to receive an identical signal.
With PH 3/4 being a stereo output but me only needing a summed mono signal, will a standard TRS to XLR adapter suffice?

I will be using a Harmony Remote to control it all so can switch sources with that but I've read in the manual that if USB is detected, then USB will become the primary source.
I'm unsure if the ROON core will still output a signal even with no music playing which would be a problem.
Will the RME "auto-detect" the sources and change it's own settings on the fly or will I need to manually alter the settings dependent on which source I'm using.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,

I have a question about how to correctly connect up my subwoofers to an RME ADI2 PRO FS R be and also which mode to have the RME set to.

My set up will soon be as follows;

Source 1 - Intel NUC (ROON Core) -------- USB ---------- RME
Source 2 - TV -------- TOSLINK ---------- RME
Output 1 - RME ------ AES break-out ---- AES/EBU --- Genelec 8341AWM
Output 2 - RME ------ PH 3/4 ---- TRS/XLR ---- Arendal 1723 S1 (x2)

My subs are being run as "dual mono".
I am aware that I will have to have the RME Output PH 3/4 copy the main out 1/2 signal in order for my subs to receive an identical signal.
With PH 3/4 being a stereo output but me only needing a summed mono signal, will a standard TRS to XLR adapter suffice?
Connect both PH 3/4 channels with the sub and let the sub do the summing. If you have 2 subs you can connect the second sub via both passthrough outputs of the first sub.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Connect both PH 3/4 channels with the sub and let the sub do the summing. If you have 2 subs you can connect the second sub via both passthrough outputs of the first sub.
I didn't realise the sub could do that, sum the signal. That's good to know! :)

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Hi all,

Looking at a potential change of monitor and subwoofer positioning for a much more balanced stereo set up.
As I have mentioned in this post previously, my 8341AWM's are positioned very poorly in the room with the left monitor being placed close to a corner and the right monitor being in open space. This causes a number of issues which GLM mostly clears up but GLM is no miracle worker!
Also, my subs are placed in non-ideal locations which, as luck would have it, works well as far as summing them together ...............anyway............

I have an opportunity to move the two subwoofers into the left and right corner of the room (along the short wall) with the monitors being placed either on corner floating shelves or using the Genelec wall mounting brackets directly above each subwoofer.
Again, as luck would have it, my main listening position will be the exact distance from both left and right monitors and subs and also the same distance between the actual monitors and subs themselves (3 meters).

Because of this potential change, I plan to run the subs in stereo as opposed to dual mono (which they are right now) which kind of knackers my current configuration up.
Again, as mentioned here, my current config is (RME ADI2 PRO) AES/EBU out to monitors with Phones 3/4 as the subwoofer output vis XLR.
I think I will have to simplify the set up and do the folllowing:

RME ADI2 PRO - Analogue XLR L Out - Subwoofer XLR L In - Subwoofer XLR L Out - 8341AWM Analogue XLR In
With the same set up replicated for the Right Sub and Monitor.

Does the above sound right to you guys?

I know I'm going from a Digital signal to an Analogue signal but I'm led to believe the Genelec SAM speakers will sound exactly the same regardless of input type????

Any thoughts?????

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You should run the subs in dual mono to improve bass.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
You should run the subs in dual mono to improve bass.
Really? I was always under the impression that if you had the opportunity to run your subs in stereo then that would be preferred.
Obviously, I'll look into this as I would much rather run them in dual mono as I think stereo subs would be horrific to time align whilst maintaining even bass at the listening position!

Thanks @LTig

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Audioholics had a useful discussion of the stereo vs mono considerations, I found it helpful and if I recall they recommended mono for most applications.

Top Bottom