• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connect XLR(Dynamic) Mic to 3.5 input on a DAC(GSX 1200)

ramisrour

Hi!

I'm thinking of buying a new microphone(Røde Podmic. This one) which has an XLR connection, it's a dynamic mic, I was told this is the mic to go for if there's background noise etc in the room. I'm just going to use it for communication while gaming.
Today I have a USB microphone(Thronmax Mdrill One Pro), but there seems to be an issue with those as I've tried 2 different devices after getting a new one on warranty, they disconnect sometimes and reconnect after 5 seconds, causing my default mic input to change on the computer, disabling my ability to speak to my friends on Discord, until I manually change it back. It's so frustrating, because it seems as everytime I move my chair(the wheels), it disconnects! Or when my mini-fridge cooler which I have under the desk starts working(cooler turns on), it does the same). I haven't been able to figure this out, so I just wanna change the mic completely.

I'm using a DT 990 250 ohm headphone connected to a Monoprice Desktop AMP, which is connected to a GSX 1200 DAC(I am using the DAC because of it's surround feature, I know it's not necessary for power etc.), and the GSX is then connected through USB to the computer. The GSX has a microphone 3.5 connection which I want to connect this Røde XLR mic to, what do I need for this to be possible? Any other amps or anything, to power the mic, or is this sufficient? I'm a total noob at this, thanks for the patience :)

I asked a question here regarding my AMP + DAC setup a few months back and got incredible help, so I'm trying my luck again. Not even sure this thread is in the correct subject/topic.

So my question is basically if I need something else besides my GSX 1200 to power the microphone? I don't have any knowledge about this besides what I've read online today, I saw a guy using a phantom power supply or something? Do I need that for a dynamic microphone?

EDIT: Or, can I just connect the microphone to the back of my Monoprice AMP? There are RCA connections in the back, 2 of them being occupied by my headphones(RCA to AUX cable, going from the AMP to the DAC). But in this case, will I be able to select the microphone as input method in Windows?

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Today I have a USB microphone(Thronmax Mdrill One Pro), but there seems to be an issue with those as I've tried 2 different devices after getting a new one on warranty, they disconnect sometimes and reconnect after 5 seconds, causing my default mic input to change on the computer, disabling my ability to speak to my friends on Discord, until I manually change it back. It's so frustrating, because it seems as everytime I move my chair(the wheels), it disconnects! Or when my mini-fridge cooler which I have under the desk starts working(cooler turns on), it does the same). I haven't been able to figure this out, so I just wanna change the mic completely.
1. I've seen this sort of issue before. Last time it involved a ground loop running over the front panel. You don't happen to be connecting the microphone there? Try a direct motherboard USB port on the back then. If that doesn't help, maybe you have a TV connected? Then try removing any antenna connections from that. Ultimately it's going to be boiling down to a construction or assembly issue with your PC. I don't trust these modern cases with their paint everywhere and ever thinner metal, and front panels very commonly have issues. You need some substantial ground bounce for USB to hiccup.

2. I looked up your current "budget Blue Yeti wannabe" mic - seems to sound pretty meh. 16 mm capsule, eh? Cardioid mode does rather remind me of a cheap pencil condenser mic. I've definitely heard better (if single pattern) USB mics in this price range.

3. According to its datasheet, the microphone input on the GSX 1200 may be restricted to a 16 kHz sample rate (communications grade only). That's kind of a bummer, otherwise you would have been able to connect an external mixer there, even a little Behringer 502 or 302. Well, you probably still have an onboard line-in, right? Otherwise you'd have been looking at a USB audio interface (even a Behringer UMC202HD), and that brings us right back to the initial problem.

OP
R

ramisrour

You won't get enough output for connecting to RCA jacks. The 3.5 input may or may not have the options of turning on 50 db of gain for your mic. You need that gain. A dynamic does not need phantom power.

If you've not made a purchase yet why not try the Rode usb mic?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NTUSB--rode-nt-usb-usb-condenser-microphone
Aha I see. Well I actually went and grabbed the hyperx quadcast for a good price. I managed to trade in my Thronmax mic even tho I bought it in June very good service. And it's not disconnecting!!! My friends even said my voice is way clearer with this mic. I'm super satisfied now. Only thing is the red light on it which is distracting. But I just mounted a pop filter in front of it to dim the light a bit by blocking it. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

1. I've seen this sort of issue before. Last time it involved a ground loop running over the front panel. You don't happen to be connecting the microphone there? Try a direct motherboard USB port on the back then. If that doesn't help, maybe you have a TV connected? Then try removing any antenna connections from that. Ultimately it's going to be boiling down to a construction or assembly issue with your PC. I don't trust these modern cases with their paint everywhere and ever thinner metal, and front panels very commonly have issues. You need some substantial ground bounce for USB to hiccup.

2. I looked up your current "budget Blue Yeti wannabe" mic - seems to sound pretty meh. 16 mm capsule, eh? Cardioid mode does rather remind me of a cheap pencil condenser mic. I've definitely heard better (if single pattern) USB mics in this price range.

3. According to its datasheet, the microphone input on the GSX 1200 may be restricted to a 16 kHz sample rate (communications grade only). That's kind of a bummer, otherwise you would have been able to connect an external mixer there, even a little Behringer 502 or 302. Well, you probably still have an onboard line-in, right? Otherwise you'd have been looking at a USB audio interface (even a Behringer UMC202HD), and that brings us right back to the initial problem.

1. I was thinking it has to be something physical, like grounding or something. My pc case is mainly glass so I don't know, but I even tried without boom arm, I tried while holding the mic. Almost everything. Nothing worked. It drove me crazy. Also, I used USB directly to the motherboard, then I tried a USB hub as well. Nothing worked. It must've been something to do with the physical build of the microphone. Because the new mic I picked up today, doesn't disconnect at all! I'm so happy now lol. I seriously tried everything since I bought the damn thing in June. What a pain.

2. Yeha, only reason I bought it(my first microphone, I used to have headset with mic built in) is because it was on sale and people left great reviews for it on the website I bought it from. Jeeez... I don't know how they didn't notice the disconnects. I mean, lately it got worse, more often, AND when it disconnected, it froze my game for 2 seconds while doing so.

3. Yeah I do have on board line in etc. But I'm glad I didn't have to resort to buying another device, seeing that I already have an amp, DAC, Nintendo Switch, dock for the mouse, 2 monitors, and the pc itself on the desk! Not to mention the keyboard which is huge btw. Getting crowded.

I appreciate your help! After reading both your comments I went and bought the quadcast to try and see if there was really a problem with the build(ground or whatever, which you mentioned), and hell yes, I got rid of the problem.
Dude, at one point I thought some ghost was haunting me and messing with my mic.... Sometimes I just had to STAND UP, without even rolling my chair or touching anything, and it disconnected. It's the weirdest thing ever. I know it might be jard to believe, but I've had this issue since June and I've noticed when it happens, body movements or the chair! Haha.

But thanks a lot! Ghost is gone now and I'm happy with the new mic, especially since I only paid a 20 dollar difference to trade in for this one.
Appreciate the help! Have a good one

OP
R

ramisrour

This is an amazing forum. I get quick replies and I always get helpful answers which lead me to finding a solution. I wish I asked this in June :D *facepalm*

Top Bottom