• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connect wire shield to only one side

It depends upon the common-mode voltage and bias circuitry of the transmitter and the receiving circuitry. Professional audio components often include the provision for lifting the ground at one or both end(s), and/or are active devices with defined common-mode reference or transformer coupled with a ground reference being the transformer's center tap (at either or both ends). I cannot recall damaging a receiver in decades but have not been doing pro audio stuff for many years, and when I did blow a receiver it was due to unexpected (and undesirable) application of phantom power.
However, I am afraid that many here still do not understand why the balanced line MUST have the shield connected at both sides. I am not talking about improper implementations that need a ground lift switch. Explained in the images below.

CMV_issue_2.png

CMV_issue_2_time.png

Floating voltage has 50Hz frequency, signal voltage has 1kHz frequency. See the saturation. This is a better case, damage may occur as well.

Back
Top Bottom