• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connect passive Subwoofer to Behringer a800 via XLR?

Hegel-Pegel

I bought the Behringer A800 for my passive Desktop speakers. Its awesome.
Im working on a budget, so what I got my hands on for free is a big old Yamaha passive sub and a small ****** active sub.

I could transform the old sub to an active one using the old ones sub board and then connect it to my PC and its output to the a800.
I could transform it and connect it directly to my PC, using an extra programme to give different signal outputs via the jacks.
I could try to modify an XLR cable and directly connect the old passive sub to the a800. Could that work out?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm kinda confused. Can you reword your request(s) for info into something more detailed.

OP
H

Hegel-Pegel

Can I connect a passive subwoofer with the Behringer a800 via its XLR-output while the loudspeakers are connected to the amp via its regular output?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I connect a passive subwoofer with the Behringer a800 via its XLR-output while the loudspeakers are connected to the amp via its regular output?
The XLRs on the A800 are inputs not outputs.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...behringer-a800-stereo-amplifier-review.10499/
index.php

OP
H

Hegel-Pegel

Sheesh

what are the CH A and B on the output part then? Could I connect the sub to those somehow?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sheesh

what are the CH A and B on the output part then? Could I connect the sub to those somehow?

The only place you could connect a passive sub in at the output. (speaker output at the A800)

The Ch A & B connections are for left and right input connections. There are two different types of connectors for each channel. So when using it in a pro application there is flexibility in the connection used.

The A & B connections at the output are simply 2 more different types of connectors for pro applications.

OP
H

Hegel-Pegel

So I cant connect a passive sub and passive speakers to the amp at the same time, right?

Should I connect the PC to the active sub to the amp or the PC to the amp and the active sub at the same time via the different mobo audio jacks?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I cant connect a passive sub and passive speakers to the amp at the same time, right?

Should I connect the PC to the active sub to the amp or the PC to the amp and the active sub at the same time via the different mobo audio jacks?
What motherboard are you using?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
EDIT:
Is the blue output from the motherboard rear channels or line in?

OK. We are talking about a active and a passive sub. (Do you have 2 subs. One active and one passive?)
Which one do you want to talk about?
I suggest if you have 2 different amplifiers then use the passive sub connected to one amplifier and the speakers connected to the other amplifier.
Then split the green 3.5mm output from the motherboard into two connectors and then connect to the amplifiers using the RCA connectors.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this making sense for you? I want to make sure we are on the same page so you don't fry anything.

OP
H

Hegel-Pegel

I could do that, yes. Just need to buy a 3,5 splitter for that. Thats the best quality solution? Better than having the sub-amp in between? (in that case I need to buy a RCA cable)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which sub woofer sounds better and goes better for you? Does the active sub have RCA connectors? The passive sub has speakers wire connectors of course. Determine which sub woofer is preferred and then if you need to clarify the connections we can do that. But you need to decide which one.

OP
H

Hegel-Pegel

the passive one is bigger and better.

The splitting solution seems the easyest, but doesent that mean the bass frequencies are played twice?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the bass will be played twice if you use the passive sub woofer and 2 amplifiers. Try it and see how you like it. Then try the other sub woofer if you need to.

OP
H

Hegel-Pegel

If I connect the active sub in between the speakers don't play bass anymore?

Top Bottom