• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

connect echo 3.5 to Toslink of DAC unit =24 bit ?

ghunty

Hi guys Just joined the audiophile folks after 66 years and so glad I found this site .
I want to simplify getting HI Res music . I only use Amazon HD /UHD for my music listening . Here is my questions .
I do not use earphones .I have 2 1000 RMS powered Mackie Speakers and a SMSL DO100 Dac unit. Can I just use my Echo to stream a 24 bit signal if I use the Echo Dot 3.5 out converted to toslink adapter cnnected to my SMSL DO100 DAC unit so I can use the voice features on Echo to control AMHD ? OR can I get a better signal from my computer usb a to usbc in SMSL Do100 .I really would rather my computer ,however not sure how to use computer and also my voice command from my Echo . The only other solution that I see is use WIIM toslink ...why cant I just use Eho as my only streamer and get 24 bit .
Thank so much for your responses
Gary

antcollinet

Master Contributor
You are very unlikely to be getting high res output from the echo dot analogue connection. In fact if you are taking an analogue output from the dot - you will be losing significant quality by converting back to digital toslink and then to analogue again in your DAC. You should send the analogue direct to speakers.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would use a Echo 3.5 to Toslink adapter to Toslink of DAC unit

If you have the Echo Studio, that should work nicely. I use a 3.5mm to Toslink out of my DAP to my DAC without issues with 24 bits, 192 KHz sample rate

Capture.JPG

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I would use a Echo 3.5 to Toslink adapter to Toslink of DAC unit
That only works if the 3.5 on the dot has an optical signal built in to connect to toslink.

It doesn't. It is analogue only. Only the echo link has digital output.

You would be better connecting your Dot to the amp using a bluetooth adapter.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Wiim mini works well with AmazonHD
Ehh, the website has bad grammar and the product looks like many other products that I have tested on amazon. Not much confidence in it lasting as a real device for the future. If they cannot even find people to write english properly and make a proper website then who knows how much life their product has in it.

Gphoton

Ehh, the website has bad grammar and the product looks like many other products that I have tested on amazon. Not much confidence in it lasting as a real device for the future. If they cannot even find people to write english properly and make a proper website then who knows how much life their product has in it.
I have 7 of them. 24 bit, 192khz max. Need a good wifi signal. They work fine... no drama. Toslink out into a DAC is bit perfect at 100 volume.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have 7 of them. 24 bit, 192khz max. Need a good wifi signal. They work fine... no drama. Toslink out into a DAC is bit perfect at 100 volume.
That is cool, however I just wonder how long this will last. As it undoubtedly needs a home server to talk to which is hosted by the company itself.... I test products like this in one of my businesses and many of these companies only last 1-2 years or they just abandon their old products making them worthless or having the apps stop working.

Gphoton

That is cool, however I just wonder how long this will last. As it undoubtedly needs a home server to talk to which is hosted by the company itself.... I test products like this in one of my businesses and many of these companies only last 1-2 years or they just abandon their old products making them worthless or having the apps stop working.
I have squeezebox touches gathering dust as Logitech dropped the product line. I have Paradigm PW Links that still aren't gapless after years of PlayFi "real soon now". The Wiim into the Paradigm finally delivers it.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have squeezebox touches gathering dust as Logitech dropped the product line. I have Paradigm PW Links that still aren't gapless after years of PlayFi "real soon now". The Wiim into the Paradigm finally delivers it.
Yeah I understand. Companies are really bad about supporting their products especially post sale. I really wish that we had a set of standards and the sort of softwares and servers that run our products would be made available publicly so that customers can host their own servers if the manufacturer decides to stop supporting the product.

I have various casting dongles that no longer work because the company went under. I also have entire camera systems which are useless because the company went under. What sucks is that some of this is literally brand new product sitting in my house that was sent to me for testing and is now literally worthless.

Gphoton

Yeah I understand. Companies are really bad about supporting their products especially post sale. I really wish that we had a set of standards and the sort of softwares and servers that run our products would be made available publicly so that customers can host their own servers if the manufacturer decides to stop supporting the product.

I have various casting dongles that no longer work because the company went under. I also have entire camera systems which are useless because the company went under. What sucks is that some of this is literally brand new product sitting in my house that was sent to me for testing and is now literally worthless.
Yup, landfills filled with abandoned products. Fortunately the Logitech Media Server still gets updates by the community and is a great server... just no Amazon Music as there isn't a published API. The Wiim will find it and stream from it as well.

But even big companies aren't immune to abandoning working products: Microsoft Zune, LG cell phones, Logitech, Google Chromecast... it isn't just the small new guys.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yup, landfills filled with abandoned products. Fortunately the Logitech Media Server still gets updates by the community and is a great server... just no Amazon Music as there isn't a published API. The Wiim will find it and stream from it as well.

But even big companies aren't immune to abandoning working products: Microsoft Zune, LG cell phones, Logitech, Google Chromecast... it isn't just the small new guys.
I totally agree. Chromecast Audio was a big blow and LG.... man I have an LG G8 as my daily phone. That really HURTS to say the least. Atleast they did keep supporting it past them not selling phones anymore. I did get software updates this year for both my G8 and my Velvet (infact the Velvet had another one 2 weeks ago).

I would hope that Amazon wouldn't drop their Echo Link but they did drop their Dash Wand so.... who knows? My first Gen Denon Heos still works though as does my first Echo (I beta tested the first one to ever come out, still works fine 7-8 years later).

nsfgp

Worth giving it new life and clean off the dust I am pretty sure. Do/Can you setup a LMS server for your library somewhere??
Start here you can find any info you need: https://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?34-Squeezebox-Touch

Personally I only use Pi/PC + LMS and no experience with a Touch. But it has tons of following still and community firmware, etc. It is probably weak in CPU power itself so yo probably want to run LMS outside of it.

telemike

If you read the big WIIM thread, the developers have been very active working on bug fixes and improvements. Many of us are on Beta software tests

OP
G

ghunty

It is best to use a computer to have higher quality and connect from the computer to a DAC via USB.
If you want to do Toslink then you need this:

This is specific for what you want to do.
I will not use WIII mini ...Will this work ?.....Computer USB to Dac USBC and XLR from Dac to powered speakers ...Is that right ? How would I bypass the computer from processing ? Will this be bit perfect ? Thank you so much

Top Bottom