• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connect dac direct into power amp

Jaysz

Hi just joined
My smsl m500 should be here in a few days
I have nad pre and power amps both have fixed and variable rca inputs
Can i connect dac straight into power amp or is it better to use preamp
J

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
We are supposed to don't know about the measured performance of either the M500 (@amirm is waiting one for review) or your preamp.
Still, SMSL published a measurement showing 117db SINAD (at 6V):

14077-smsl-m500-inpage5.jpg

If that is true, I don't know much preamp which may perform better than this.
In general, DAC outputs are cleaner than analog preamp outputs. And without channel mismatch due to digital volume control (Again, in general)
So, theoricaly, it would be better to use your M500 straight to your power amp.
Hi just joined
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/member-area.36/

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
We are supposed to don't know about the measured performance of either the M500 (@amirm is waiting one for review) or your preamp.
Still, SMSL published a measurement showing 117db SINAD (at 6V):

14077-smsl-m500-inpage5.jpg

If that is true, I don't know much preamp which may perform better than this.
In general, DAC outputs are cleaner than analog preamp outputs. And without channel mismatch due to digital volume control (Again, in general)
So, theoricaly, it would be better to use your M500 straight to your power amp.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/member-area.36/
I agree with you.
Just a detail: The published measurement is for 6V peak, which is around 4.2Vrms.
Amir is measuring at 4Vrms for balanced output and 2Vrms for single ended output.

OP
J

Jaysz

Ok into the power amp then
Am going to see what difference the c162 preamp makes
So preamp cant improve sound even if I like the sound of it

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, the preamp may also add some gain...
Which may be positive to the sound (if clean enough and needed) in some cases.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
You need to add the distortion of all devices in the audio chain. So, no, a really good preamp won't do anything except add a little bit more distortion to the audio chain.

It makes sense, therefore, to minimize the number of devices in the audio chain. So if your DAC has a volume control and measures well, skip the preamp and go directly to the amplifier.

It won't reduce distortion by much, but this is a game of percentages and not absolutes.

Because of speaker's distortion figures, it makes sense to use an active crossover to keep the mains from going too low (a lot of distortion occurs when small drivers in the mains operate at the end of their excursion, as is the case when they try to reproduce bass frequencies at moderate to high spl).

The crossover will add noise, but (set up properly) it will massively reduce speaker distortion... which is noise of a far higher magnitude.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In general, DAC outputs are cleaner than analog preamp outputs.

Would you say, for instance, that using the JDS Lab Atom as a pre-amp after a fixed voltage DAC will not give as clean sound as, say, a DX3 Pro used in pre-amp mode?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Would you say, for instance, that using the JDS Lab Atom as a pre-amp after a fixed voltage DAC will not give as clean sound as, say, a DX3 Pro used in pre-amp mode?

Most likely indistinguishable by ear at matched levels.

OP
J

Jaysz

Ok no need for my preamp
From my pc would there be a difference in using optical or usb

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. Thats why I said "in general". "Most" DAC outputs are cleaner. Of course, a Benchmark HPA4 will not degrade a Topping D50s signal, for example, but it will not improve it either. The Atom will transmit the DX3 Pro output as it is , without adding or removing performance to it.

Azookey

I'm coming out of a SDAC and running through a vintage NAD 7240p preamp section. It "sounded" way better to me than straight to amp. Might not have been accurate, but it sounded really good.

taner

If you want to connect your DAC to power amp, these have to be considered:

1. Impedance mismatch
If your DAC 's output can't deliver enough current to drive amplifier's input, you need a preamp with low impedance output (or a buffer). Some amps performs better with very low impedance sources.

2. Volume control
Most modern DACs incorporate a digital attenuator which needs a programmable micro controller unit on circuit. Desktop style dacs with hardware volume knobs/buttons/remotes have this MCU. So, volume control is done in dac chip (or dsp) which guarantees the accuracy and precision.

Some producers decide to use USB bridge's MCU to control the dac chip's attenuator. Precision and accuracy is same as above. Other case is not dealing with dac chip's attenuator but implement a small software in USB bridge in order to contol the volume levels of the incoming signal before sending it to the dac chip. In this case, precision and accuracy depent on software algorithm and performance of the MCU. In both cases, volume control is done with volume slider of the device on computer.

3. Gain
If your DAC can't push your amplifier to its maximum output level, you need a preamp with more gain.

Top Bottom