• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connect 5.1 speakers

rhenxoff

How I connect a system of speakers 5,1 to the two exit stereo of an amplifier.

OP
R

rhenxoff

Thanks gene_stl. My amp is stereo and have two channels, right and left. I have two bass or woffer, one midrange and two tweeters. How can i connect them?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Are you saying you have a pile of loose speakers that you’re trying to hook up? That aren’t mounted into an enclosure of some kind?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

OP
R

rhenxoff

Are you saying you have a pile of loose speakers that you’re trying to hook up? That aren’t mounted into an enclosure of some kind?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I have 5 old speakers and one stereo amp. The amp have only two exits (left & right). The spekers are distribute as 2 woofers 1 mid-range and two tweeters. How i mathch all this bunch? They are into wood baffles.
My previous amp had 5 outputs one for each speaker. The model of the equipment was Sony LBT-W900AV.

Last edited:

zermak

I see what @Wayne A. Pflughaupt is trying to extrapolate but I think you @rhenxoff are confusing some nomenclatures/terminology.
I feel like your 2 woofers refer to the bigger (of the lot) speakers (loudpeakers, or probably are all same size like satellites or maybe mini bookshelves) that you use as front speakers, your 1 mid-range is the center speaker and your 2 tweeters are the surround speakers.

If I am wrong then it's another story and it is more complicated that just hook all up to some amp.

OP
R

rhenxoff

I see what @Wayne A. Pflughaupt is trying to extrapolate but I think you @rhenxoff are confusing some nomenclatures/terminology.
I feel like your 2 woofers refer to the bigger (of the lot) speakers (loudpeakers, or probably are all same size like satellites or maybe mini bookshelves) that you use as front speakers, your 1 mid-range is the center speaker and your 2 tweeters are the surround speakers.

If I am wrong then it's another story and it is more complicated that just hook all up to some amp.
You are ok. Or say 2 are low frecuency 1 is mid range frecuency and 2 are high frecuency.

zermak

Alright and to make it simple, what's your current 5.1 system?

And to answer your fist question: if you have a 5.1 system (meaning 5 already made cabinet with their own drivers and crossover in them) you can not hook it up to a stereo amplifier; you need a 5(.1) amplifier and some pre (or an all in one solution) to feed the digital signal which will be then feed to the amp.

OP
R

rhenxoff

Alright and to make it simple, what's your current 5.1 system?

And to answer your fist question: if you have a 5.1 system (meaning 5 already made cabinet with their own drivers and crossover in them) you can not hook it up to a stereo amplifier; you need a 5(.1) amplifier and some pre (or an all in one solution) to feed the digital signal which will be then feed to the amp.
Can i use two 3 way crossover one for each channel of the stereo amp?

zermak

What's your actual 5.1 system? Does it have a name or brand on it or the speakers?

I think you are confused or just don't know much about this stuff and you're confusing me now asking me that question... so they are not completed speakers. Can you uploasd a photo of the stuff you have?

OP
R

rhenxoff

What's your actual 5.1 system? Does it have a name or brand on it or the speakers?

I think you are confused or just don't know much about this stuff and you're confusing me now asking me that question... so they are not completed speakers. Can you uploasd a photo of the stuff you have?
Ok i´ll do. My old equipment is a Sony LBT-W900AV

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you asking about using 5.1 channels and connecting each channel so you have 2 speakers with one channel for woofer, one channel for midrange, and one channel for tweeter?

If so the answer is maybe, but it would be more trouble than it is worth most likely.

zermak

Ok i´ll do. My old equipment is a Sony LBT-W900AV
Oh I see; it's a old Dolby Surround system and yes, you can use the speakers you have with that kit with another amplifier but you can't plug them all in a stereo amplifier (I mean you could but you will always have a stereo sound and the central speaker will be unused): you need a 5(.1) amplifier (and you would need a amped subwoofer also for the cinema experience, aka to properly play the 5.1 audio tracks of modern films) and a pre (or an all in one solution like an audio video receiver, AVR).

OP
R

rhenxoff

Are you asking about using 5.1 channels and connecting each channel so you have 2 speakers with one channel for woofer, one channel for midrange, and one channel for tweeter?

If so the answer is maybe, but it would be more trouble than it is worth most likely.
I supouse i must connect one low frecuency speaker to the one channel of the amp, then a mid-range to the same amp output and finally one high frecuency to the same channel, then i must do the same with the other channel of the amp. I don´t know if explaine well. The exit of the amp wll go to the input of a crossover, the crossover have tree outputs for low, mid and high speakers. The crossover Is a frecuency divisor filter.

OP
R

rhenxoff

Oh I see; it's a old Dolby Surround system and yes, you can use the speakers you have with that kit with another amplifier but you can't plug them all in a stereo amplifier (I mean you could but you will always have a stereo sound and the central speaker will be unused): you need a 5(.1) amplifier (and you would need a amped subwoofer also for the cinema experience, aka to properly play the 5.1 audio tracks of modern films) and a pre (or an all in one solution like an audio video receiver, AVR).
Thanks zermak, i see a frecuency filter that divide the input from the amp into three outputs one carry low frecuency, other is in middle and the last is high frecuency. Can i connect each of these outputs with his respective speakers.

zermak

This is confusing.
Are you gonna dismantle the system speakers and will use their drivers to make a new loudspeaker? And will the drivers (woofer, midrange and tweeter) be hooked to a passive 3-way crossover?
If you are using a passive crossover you just have to plug the input of one crossover to the output channel of the stereo (L o R) amplifier.

Just loaded your new message.
So your new stereo amp has an active 3 way crossover build in? Or is that a network board you have found?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I supouse i must connect one low frecuency speaker to the one channel of the amp, then a mid-range to the same amp output and finally one high frecuency to the same channel, then i must do the same with the other channel of the amp. I don´t know if explaine well. The exit of the amp wll go to the input of a crossover, the crossover have tree outputs for low, mid and high speakers. The crossover Is a frecuency divisor filter.

Approach one:
In a conventional speaker you feed one and only one power amplified channel to the crossover for that speaker. The crossover filters that one channel by frequency and outputs three different signals one for woofer, midrange and tweeter. So you only need one channel per speaker.

Approach two:
Another approach is to imagine you have 3 one channel amps. At the input you filter the signal so channel 1 is low frequencies and this amp goes onto the woofer speaker. Channel 2 has midrange frequencies at input and goes onto the midrange speaker. Channel 3 has only treble frequencies at the input and goes to the tweeter. For this you need a line level crossover prior to the amps in each channel.

So if you wish to use a 5.1 channel device it won't work for Approach two as you have no way to do the crossovers prior to the amp inputs.

If you use Approach one then you only use one of your 5.1 channels for each speaker. So for stereo you have 3.1 channels unused.

OP
R

rhenxoff

This is confusing.
Are you gonna dismantle the system speakers and will use their drivers to make a new loudspeaker? And will the drivers (woofer, midrange and tweeter) be hooked to a passive 3-way crossover?
If you are using a passive crossover you just have to plug the input of one crossover to the output channel of the stereo (L o R) amplifier.

Just loaded your new message.
So your new stereo amp has an active 3 way crossover build in? Or is that a network board you have found?
Finally you catch up. My new amp have not crossover built in so i need conect the speakers thru an external crossover. My doubt is if i have to place two crossover one for each output of a stereo amp.

Top Bottom