• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Confused with the VTV vs Buckeye 1ET7040 Amplifiers

simplywyn

Several questions here: I recently bought a new set of R11's and they sound huge, I'm running them with one set of 1ET400 EVALs and they sound okay.

I'm looking for a power increase in the 1ET7040's but the VTV's show a 950W, the Buckeyes show a 700W. I'm a bit confused here as they both use the same power supply.

Anyone can shed some light into these implementations? What's buckeye doing differently that reduces the power by a whole 200W?

Also is it worth going these as I already have the Purifi EVAL1, is there a much better to upgrade to? (Benchmark AHB 2 perhaps, but they have lesspower)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps can answer better.

Maybe you can try one out and see if it is worth it?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
What THD are each amplifier's power rated at?

Could also be a thermal limit on the Buckeye - or just conservatively rated.

Or - VTV are quoting the short term maximum power from the module data sheet. Buckeye may be stating what the module can do continuous in their thermal design.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Ae you really running out of power with 1ET400's?

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unless your speakers present a 2 ohm load, the 7040 purifi will do nothing for you. Buckeye's power rating at 2 ohms is less because he is derating the output due to the voltage of the Hypex power supply not being high enough to drive the Purifi module to full power at 2 ohms. VTV doesn't and if he is using the same Hypex power supply, his numbers are false.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The VTV output power rating of 950 W @ 2 ohm requires a power supply voltage of >70 V. The Hypex SMPS1200A400 power supply only outputs 63 V typically, and therefore can only provide 700 W @ 2 ohm. The VTV spec is incorrect.

Anyhow, the difference between 950 W and 700 W is only 1.3 dB, which is just above noticeable.

purifi.png

It was discussed in the Buckeye Amps Purifi amp thread.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

The VTV output power rating of 950 W @ 2 ohm requires a power supply voltage of >70 V. The Hypex SMPS1200A400 power supply only outputs 63 V typically, and therefore can only provide 700 W @ 2 ohm. The VTV spec is incorrect.

Anyhow, the difference between 950 W and 700 W is only 1.3 dB, which is just above noticeable.

View attachment 229570

It was discussed in the Buckeye Amps Purifi amp thread.
Thanks for this info, that makes sense now

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
As was answered, I am quoting "honest" power output since the SMPS1200A400 is a limiting factor. I will be adding a note to my website (without directly calling out any competitors).

The 7040SA is really ideal for those who have speakers that are under 4ohms

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Ae you really running out of power with 1ET400's?
It's a good question - I just feel R11's lack bass, should I buy a pair of subwoofers instead?

The r11 dip to 3.5ohms around the bass area which is why I think it needs a bit more power

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
It's a good question - I just feel R11's lack bass, should I buy a pair of subwoofers instead?

The r11 dip to 3.5ohms around the bass area which is why I think it needs a bit more power
if you find the R11 lack bass, add more bass with eq..

goryu

You probably won't get anything more from the 7040 at 3.5 ohms to make it worthwhile. Would be a waste of money...

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
@simplywyn
With a -6 at 30dB, it could be argued you don't need a Sub in a Music only rig...

I would add a Sub or two. ;)

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

It's potentially the room, I will try to do some treatment and get back.. if it's not the amp problem

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
It's potentially the room, I will try to do some treatment and get back.. if it's not the amp problem
No.. Before measure your setup.. Then learn about Acoustics and then you can start to do some treatment.. If you dont know, better to pay profesional acoustic treatment.
But you can start doing some measurements and then use eq to fix or enhancement ur listening experience.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

No.. Before measure your setup.. Then learn about Acoustics and then you can start to do some treatment.. If you dont know, better to pay profesional acoustic treatment.
But you can start doing some measurements and then use eq to fix or enhancement ur listening experience.

Chill out dude, I have tons of sound absorbtion panels and bass sinks already in my house I can move around lol, there's more than one way to do things.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Chill out dude, I have tons of sound absorption panels and bass sinks already in my house I can move around lol, there's more than one way to do things.
Sure - but trial and error may or may not find and solve a problem. You may try everything you can think of moving absorption panels (and bear in mind most panels will do nothing for bass, and bass sinks can only go so low) and still think you are lacking bass - where a measurement will tell you immediately what is going on.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Sure - but trial and error may or may not find and solve a problem. You may try everything you can think of moving absorption panels (and bear in mind most panels will do nothing for bass, and bass sinks can only go so low) and still think you are lacking bass - where a measurement will tell you immediately what is going on.

Takes me 5 seconds to move some boards around and bass stuff.

Measuring takes me hours to google, finding a hardware, etc etc, sure maybe if you guys hvae all the time in the world.

Grotti

Forum Donor
Takes me 5 seconds to move some boards around and bass stuff.

Measuring takes me hours to google, finding a hardware, etc etc, sure maybe if you guys hvae all the time in the world.
For me it was ordering a UMIK microphone, downloading REW and borrow a mic-stand. And some reading how to use REW. The measurements were revealing!

Top Bottom