• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Confused by center channel: 3xMTM vs 2xTM + 1xMTM

Descartes

Major Contributor
I have a projector so a lot of space under the screen (60cm).
The system will be used mainly for movies.
What would be the best configuration for fronts + center:
  1. Should I go with a "regular" center speaker mounted vertically and 2 regular fronts (towers/bookshelf)?
  2. Or go with 3x center channels all mounted vertically?
  3. Or even 3x regular bookshelves mounted low (assuming I can find a bookshelf sold not in pairs)?
(BTW this is for a system for 2 armchairs at 8-9' from screen so I think some decent horizontal beamwidth? Or am I overthinking it?)

I'm not even sure what the center channel usually carries other than dialog: does the soundtrack too usually come from the center?

And: why are the centers usually MTM instead of TM only?
I use 9 KEF LS50 three in front, 4 side and 2 rear! It is great

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
At the listening level you will be doing almost any speaker will work. The KEF bookshelf speakers would be great. There are so many to pick from especially because you will not be driving them hard at all. Three KEFs across the front would be very nice. Problem is we have no way of knowing what brands are available in Italy. That info would help!

Top Bottom