• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Confused between studio monitors for HT setup

Hifisound

Hi all,

My living room is also 4.26m L x 6.7m W x 2.9 H. Screen along long wall, so surrounds would be a bit farther than LCR too
I would be sitting between 9-10ft from screen
To avoid clutter on the layer 1 (ear level) I will be going with 5 channels there
And for layer 2 (height level) thinking of going with 4 channels
AVR would be either Denon X3600 or Marantz SR6014 (or their newer versions)

So layer 1 options are (actives)
1) Behringer 2031A x 5
2) JBL LSR308 mkii x 5
3) KRK 10-3 G4 x 3 (this one is almost 2.5 times costlier than option 1 and 2 , so only if its really that better than those 2) + KRK 8 G4 x 2

Layer 2 options (passives)
1) JBL Control X x 4
2) Behringer 1C-BK (but I think option 1 would be much better than this)

thought of using smaller versions for LSR/Behringer but they will still be large on ceiling/high wall for living room. JBL Control X are close to limit already

(and there would be 2 subs, yet to decide)

So confusion is mostly on layer 1. Listening to the 3 won't be possible so need to take a call on purely technical points (I guess should be ok since its mostly for HT)
Which would be the most neutral choice and would 10-3 would be substantial improvement ?

Thanks!

OP
H

Hifisound

One question, will there be issues using AVR unbalanced pre outs with above actives ?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
doesn't make sense to have big woofers if you use 2 subwoofers. I would go for 5-6" woofers as they tend to be better in the midrange then 8"+

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
One question, will there be issues using AVR unbalanced pre outs with above actives ?
Possibly.

If the AVR is earthed e.g. through network or antenna connections or source devices you may well run into ground loop issues. I would recommend making custom RCA to XLR cables (RCA side: signal --> hot, ground --> cold, ground(2) --> shield, XLR side standard).

Two more layer 1 options to give you even more to think about: Kali Audio IN-8 (3-way) and LP-8 (2-way). Those would fill the void between (2) and (3).

doesn't make sense to have big woofers if you use 2 subwoofers. I would go for 5-6" woofers as they tend to be better in the midrange then 8"+
OTOH, the less wide dispersion of a bigger box may well be beneficial at the kinds of distances that are planned. 8" makes a pretty good size, I think.

The Kali IN-8, being a 3-way, may be a good compromise here. (BTW, Amir's updated measurements of the non-broken sample are here.)

Ultimately it's a matter of budget as well. The 2031As clearly are major bang for the buck.

If the Behringer 1C-BK are anything like the JBL Control original, they are likely to be... a bit crummy. I mean, what do you expect for 102€ the pair. Still, there may be better options for the price if you don't need things quite as rugged. (Makes you wish they still made the B2030P.)

Last edited:

jcebedo11

The behringer 2030 were also made as a passive - b2030p. They are discontinued though so It might be a challenge to acquire them.

OP
H

Hifisound

Possibly.

If the AVR is earthed e.g. through network or antenna connections or source devices you may well run into ground loop issues. I would recommend making custom RCA to XLR cables (RCA side: signal --> hot, ground --> cold, ground(2) --> shield, XLR side standard).

Two more layer 1 options to give you even more to think about: Kali Audio IN-8 (3-way) and LP-8 (2-way). Those would fill the void between (2) and (3).

OTOH, the less wide dispersion of a bigger box may well be beneficial at the kinds of distances that are planned. 8" makes a pretty good size, I think.

The Kali IN-8, being a 3-way, may be a good compromise here. (BTW, Amir's updated measurements of the non-broken sample are here.)

Ultimately it's a matter of budget as well. The 2031As clearly are major bang for the buck.

If the Behringer 1C-BK are anything like the JBL Control original, they are likely to be... a bit crummy. I mean, what do you expect for 102€ the pair. Still, there may be better options for the price if you don't need things quite as rugged. (Makes you wish they still made the B2030P.)

I will look into cable aspects. Need to see if there are ready solutions..

For my room size, I think 8" should be good fit

Kali IN8 and KRK 10-3 are options but price jump is high. So as of now I am more inclined towards 2031A / 308 or even LP8 all 5 at the layer 1 as it should be quite a bit of SPLs at not so much costs

I hope Control X are a good match to 308s for layer 2, though there is no review

Foxxy

Forum Donor
The 308s are nice... as long as not in near field. At least MK1, I haven't read complaints about amplifier hiss for the MKII... yet. If this is truly gone, the 308s are just great.

OP
H

Hifisound

The 308s are nice... as long as not in near field. At least MK1, I haven't read complaints about amplifier hiss for the MKII... yet. If this is truly gone, the 308s are just great.
They will be at listening distance of 9+ ft for L & R and bit more for surrounds

q3cpma

Major Contributor
> Behringer 2031A x 5
Probably your best bet, I don't see any point in buying anything else that's not 3-way for your usage.
> JBL LSR308 mkii x 5
I wouldn't, the woofer amp (56 W vs 150 W for the 2031A) is likely to quickly become the bottleneck at that distance.
> KRK 10-3 G4 x 3 (this one is almost 2.5 times costlier than option 1 and 2 , so only if its really that better than those 2) + KRK 8 G4 x 2
KRK is (was?) known for ****** electronics dying by themselves, don't think it's worth trying your luck.

The Behringer is the best thing you can get, especially when listened to in the diffuse field and even more at that amazing price.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
> Behringer 2031A x 5
Probably your best bet, I don't see any point in buying anything else that's not 3-way for your usage.
> JBL LSR308 mkii x 5
I wouldn't, the woofer amp (56 W vs 150 W for the 2031A) is likely to quickly become the bottleneck at that distance.
The specs in the Quicḱ start manual say 140 W RMS at 0.1% THD and 265 W peak for B2031A.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, didn't think the "Quick Start" guide would have this. Well, it's still a pretty high amount, and class AB means less violent clipping behaviour.
The Quick Start was the only place where I saw specs at all. And 140 W at 0.1% THD may be 150 W or more at 1% THD. Where did you find the 150W value?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Any input on using a DI box for surrounds ? As one of the length would be 37ft.
Any risk of quality degradation ?
Not if you get a decent one (the HD400 should be fine). Just make sure that the long run of cable comes first at the output - avoid having more than about 1.5 m (5') of cable between line-level isolator and input if you can help it.

OP
H

Hifisound

avoid having more than about 1.5 m (5') of cable between line-level isolator and input if you can help it.

Yes, the DI box can be very very close to AVR.
Behringer is one option , other being DBX DI box. I will check what other options are available

Top Bottom