• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Confused about DACs ranking compared to price tags (and diverse questions)

OP
K

Khelek

I ordered the Soncoz LA-QXD1 with two basic CANARE XLR cables. I don't need more :)

JSmith

Master Contributor
GoldenSound, who is very much like Amir
Ah.... no. Goldfinger has still not been able to produce any controlled ABX results showing an audible difference to back his golden ear assertions regarding DAC's.
such a price difference ?
One company is ripping people off... the other isn't;

JSmith

capitanharlock

DAC's are not ranked by sound here. Only measurements. All DAC's do not sound the same to a lot of people, including myself.

Here's an example:

GoldenSound, who is very much like Amir, in that he does not believe in snake-oil hocus-pocus when it comes to audio, shows similar no so great measurements of the Schiit Yggdrasil OG, which Amir has shown in the past. Yet, GS ranks the Yggdrasil as one of the most unique sounding DAC's he's ever heard. (He doesn't talk about sound much in this particular test, I only know this from his Youtube videos)

Don't let some people here brainwash you into thinking all DAC's sound the same. Even the soundstage on various DAC's can be quite different. An A/B switch might be needed to tell the difference.

Here's an example of a very pricey DAC GS reviewed on Youtube, in which he feels is too smooth sounding...

I don't know if the DCS Bartok is smooth, very smooth, too smooth or soso smooth.
But I know that, for a Dac that costs like a good small car, that display is outrageous.
Small, low resolution.
And no, at this price tag the usual excuse "but the sound it's the only important thing" it's not valid.
And this is not the only hi-end equipment with this flaw.

In my opinion these "so called" hi-end manufacturers don't own the necessary technology to implement decent displays (and remotes).

Top Bottom