• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Configuring a new set: currently owned gear + addons + upgrade options

RHO

Major Contributor
I’m moving my work desk to a new room where I have space for speakers on my desk and a subwoofer in the room.
Now I’m trying to figure out how I can best use my current gear, what to add to complete the set-up and how that would all work when I want to upgrade some things.

What I already have:
  • digital sources (laptop, (sa)cd/dvda player, BT audio devices)
  • Topping DX3 pro V2 (currently used in DAC mode)
  • Topping A50s (HP amp)
  • Hypex FA252 (plate amp)
  • CSS Trio12 (DIY passive subwoofer)
  • SB Acoustics Bromo (DIY passive speakers WIP)
  • headphones/IEMs (several)

What I want to add to complete the set:
  • MiniDSP Flex Digital with Dirac Live plug-in
  • Audiophonics MPA-S250NC (Balanced inputs = see possible upgrades)

The plan:
Digital source -> Flex Digital =>
SPDIF 1 -> Topping DX3 pro -> analog passive switch -> speaker amp/Topping A50s -> speakers/HP
SPDIF 2 -> FA252 -> subwoofer

This way I can configure the Flex for speaker listening and for HP listening. DA conversion is kept until the latest possible moment.

An alternative option I could go for, is to not use my current passive speakers and not get an amp for them but get a pair of active nearfield speakers.
The main reason for this would be that the passive speakers I’m building are not designed for near field listening and I’m a bit worried that I will end up with a dissatisfying result and have spent good money on an amp I will not need.

Possible upgrades:
  • Replace the DAC with a DAC with balanced outputs (in case of ground loops) (Topping E50)
  • Replace HP amp with one that has balanced inputs (in case of ground loops) (Topping L50 => this would also make the passive switch obsolete)
  • I could later also replace the sub with an (or 2 ) active subwoofer(s) with digital input

Am I missing something?
Any alternatives for the Flex Digital that you prefer?
What about the speaker amp?
Any better ideas for upgrades?

Top Bottom