• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Configuration recommendations for RME ADI-2 FS DAC v2, Geshelli Labs Erish, Sennheiser HD 660 S

muss3d

Hi,

I'd like to configure my DAC/AMP and music software to the best possible settings.
Ideally I'd like to find a "configure-it-once-and-forget" solution, so I can simply enjoy music rather than fiddle with settings every 5 minutes :)
And I was wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing their configuration for RME ADI-2 DAC and music software they use or any configuration suggestions.

So, ATM I have:

My current RME ADI-2 FS DAC v2 configuration looks like this:
  • Analogue outputs
    • Are set to Fixed Output Level (just like suggested in the video at the end of this post, Apparently this sets the output level to 2 volts, equalling to +8dBu)
    • Auto Ref Level: off
    • Ref Level: +13dBu
    • Lock volume: on
    • Volume: -5dB
    • Parametric EQ: on (see Oratory1990 preset for Sennheiser HD 660 S. I used the first 5 filters from the "Parametric EQs" table.)
    • Bass/Treble: off
    • Loudness: off
    • All other settings are left at default values
  • Phones output
    • Hi-Power: off
    • Auto Ref Level: on
    • Lock volume: off
    • Parametric EQ: on (see Oratory1990 preset for Sennheiser HD 660 S. I used the first 5 filters from the "Parametric EQs" table.)
    • Bass/Treble: off
    • Loudness: off
    • All other settings are set to default values
  • IEM output
  • General Options
    • Phones / DSD:
      • Mute Line: Toggle Ph/Line
    • Display
      • Hor. Meter: Dual

Erish is on low gain.

On Linux is use mpd as my default player and ncmpcpp as CLI GUI:

Output is configured like so:
Code:
audio_output {
    type                "alsa"
    name                "Alsa RME"
    auto_format         "no"
    auto_resample       "no"
    auto_channels       "no"
    dop                 "yes"
    dsd_usb             "no"
    replay_gain_handler "none"
    mixer_type          "none"
}

ALSA configuration /etc/alsa/alsactl.conf:
Code:
ctl.hw {
    @args [ CARD ]
    @args.CARD {
        type string
        default "0"
    }
    type hw
    card $CARD
}

The other and /etc/asound.conf is empty.

PulseAudio config /etc/pulse/daemon.conf is not really relevant in this context, but I'll paste just in case someone's interested:

Code:
default-sample-format = float32le
default-sample-rate = 44100
alternate-sample-rate = 384000
avoid-resampling = yes
high-priority = yes
resample-method = soxr-vhq

On Windows 10 I use:

Thanks,
muss3d

Fixed Output Level configuration for RME-ADI 2 DAC (starts @ 4:14)

dfuller

Major Contributor
If it was me... I'd just use the built in headamp on the ADI-2. It's very good and has more than plenty of power for HD660s, which to be entirely honest don't need a ton of power (150 ohm nominal impedance and 104dB/1V sensitivity = not much power needed to reach painfully loud volumes)

OP
M

muss3d

@dfuller I agree that the built-in headamp is very good. I got Erish just to have a balanced output.
To my mind, Erish in some (mostly acoustic) tracks has a bit better channel separation and that's about it.

My question here, was more about the recommended "Line Out" volume settings on ADI.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Play a 23 Hz, 0 dBFS sine with the HD660S PEQ on. Repeat with same @ -1.5 dBFS for reference. I am not convinced that the 0 dBFS won't clip. (The reason being the +6.4 dB PEQ boost @ 23 Hz @ -5 dB digital attenuation.) Yes, it's an edge case, but I mean, it's not like you're short of dynamic range, right?

To my mind, Erish in some (mostly acoustic) tracks has a bit better channel separation and that's about it.
I'll let you in on a secret - but don't tell anyone, 'K?

You know what reduced channel separation as a result of common ground return conductor resistance sounds like?
Increased stereo width.
Also, even a 20 dB channel imbalance is quite uncomfortable in headphones. BTDT.

In sum, I'm afraid there's about a 95% chance that either (a) level matching wasn't perfect or (b) you were fooling yourself, perhaps because changing the cable takes a while and as such a direct A/B is not possible. Nobody said listening tests were easy.

BTW, looking at the website for the Erish, I noticed that their "vision of what fully balanced should mean" would seem to have one problem: Input common-mode rejection is dependent on volume potentiometer channel tracking. A mere 0.5 dB of mistracking lets CMRR plummet to a measly 26 dB. I guess nobody noticed because the unit is using a floating power supply (so between that and the audio cable's shield connection, there isn't a great deal of common-mode to contend with anyway), and they were only measuring with the volume at full tilt.
If they ever wanted to put this circuitry into an IEC Class I box with integrated power supply, the input would have to get a balanced/balanced (fully differential) receiver like fig. 14 or fig. 13 (perhaps with an OPA1637).

OP
M

muss3d

hahahaha I like that lil trap that you set for me @AnalogSteph :cool:

I played a 23 Hz tone with:
  • PEQ on
  • Auto Ref Level on
  • low-power mode on
I managed to get to -15 dBr. It got simply too loud and uncomfortable.
Moreover whenever ADI-2 was changing the reference level, the "switch" was really loud and harsh :eek:. Thus I gave up with further testing. :facepalm:

In sum, I'm afraid there's about a 95% chance that either (a) level matching wasn't perfect or (b) you were fooling yourself, perhaps because changing the cable takes a while and as such a direct A/B is not possible. Nobody said listening tests were easy.

Hard to tell. I'm leaning towards (b).

Top Bottom