• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Confessions of a Wire Skeptic

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm still traumatized by the ZZ Top remixes.

yep.

One of my test-albums is 'the nightfly'. Only on excellent speakers/headphones it sound good albeit sterile, but on lesser transducers it only sounds sterile and of mediocre quality.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Ooh, is the hi-res Yes material any good?
Get the Steven Wilson remix.
Yep. The Steven Wilson remixes are the exception that proves the general rule that high-res remixes and remasters sound worse than the originals. Those original Yes recordings as released on vinyl were so bright & crunchy sounding I couldn't really listen to them. The Steven Wilson remixes are much warmer sounding, better balanced tonally, with bigger dynamics and just overall fantastic. It's the great recording that this music deserved all along.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have visited several audio shows and I always carry a thumb drive with music I know well. Most vendors will not touch it.
I understand. Because of my press affiliation, they are generally willing to accommodate my requests and, in fact, often solicit my music. If not, I don't get anything out of a show demo. Everyone should be treated the same way, albeit with reasonable time limits.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the High Vibration SACD rips. They sound good to me. I've never heard the Steven Wilson remixes. (I usually avoid remixes.)

Last edited:

600lbs of Sin

What happened? Where am I? Can I have that 10 minutes back?

Signed, WTF Productions

MRC01

Major Contributor
All that said about the Yes albums, as great as they are, and every Yes fan should have these definitive versions, at the end of the day they're analog recordings from the 1970s, not exactly state of the art in transparency or realism. To a lesser extent this also applies to the Jennifer Warnes, Tracy Chapman and other albums common used for system testing. They were great for their time and still are good, but there are modern recordings that are even better especially for listening for midrange transparency and detail. That said, the Floyd Toole list of recordings is a good start, even if reference quality has moved forward since then.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My absolutely favorite recording is Supertramp’s Crime Of The Century followed closely by Pink Floyd’s Dark Side Of The Moon. I have half a dozen or more versions of each recording.

What is Floyd Toole’s list? I googled it but cannot find any information on a list.

Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

garbulky

Major Contributor
Interesting list. I do like female pop rock for evaluating speakers. Especially Sarah McLachlan. Adele and Natalie Merchant are both good, too. I like 3 Doors Down and Dire Straits, also. They have some very well recorded albums.
Ah but kryptonite is not one of them! :D

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Despite the content, I had fun reading the Boomer. He would easily get a job writing fo one of the subjective rags.

I cannot get my knickers in a knot. He is like the Babylon Bee of ASR

Valhalla

Thanks for high purity bullshit. That sounds so articulate to me though it's not broken-in yet. I have to read it once again and I'm sure it will sound even more bullshit afterwards!

Top Bottom