• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Concerning a speaker with atrocious measured performance in the new Stereophile . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"And therein lies what I believe the Skylights do best—indeed, better than most speakers, regardless of price: tell a story. They understand pacing. They understand that a track has a beginning, a middle, and an end. You feel it when you listen to them, like you're being led down a path toward a conclusion. They made me pay attention out of fear I'd miss something important—a clue, a piece of the puzzle, a precious gem.

I think that's the best thing we can say about a component: that it makes us want to listen to its story. If I had to pinpoint in audiophile terms what makes the Skylights so skilled at this, I'd zero in on their combination of midband clarity and sense of rhythm and drive."

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That leaking port!
520Totemfig3.jpg

jeffbook

Anything that is described as "palpable" is immediately suspect to me......and what the hell are "bass shoes"? And they "tell a story"; Gee, I always thought they were supposed to accurately convert the electrical impulses they received into music. David Baldacci and John Grisham tell stories, not speakers. Final verdict....... Schryer is yet another audiophool tool.

Last edited:

TurtlePaul

You have to wonder where the money is going when $1k gets a pair of bookshelves in rectangular fiberboard boxes with first-order crossover, soft-dome textile tweeter and a <6" (treated paper?) woofer.

Stereophile knows the audiophile business model: there are no bad products and everything matters.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
This speaker's low-frequency balance will benefit from being placed relatively close to the wall behind it. Totem recommends 6"–36".

"relatively close to the wall behind it".... anywhere from 0.5 feet to... 3 feet?

tenor.gif

TimW

Major Contributor
This is obviously a terrible speaker, but the impedance graph is the most amplifier friendly one I have ever seen.

Maybe these speakers are for those audiophools who believe the amplifier has more of an impact on sound quality than the speakers. They can hook up their $10,000, 25 wpc class A amp to these things without worrying about stressing that precious amp. And then just listen to well recorded jazz at low volumes. There won't be any of that nasty bass to muddy up the sound and they'll get to play around with speaker positioning until the cows come home.

Omar Cumming

From the "review":

"According to the manufacturer, the new Skylight shares with every other Totem loudspeaker a similar genesis: It was developed mostly by ear, from beginning to end. That doesn't mean that Totem founder and owner Vince Bruzzese has no use for cutting-edge measurement instruments and techniques. Rather, he's among the speaker builders who believes that no measurement technique can beat the human ear and brain in capturing the micro information that makes real music sound like real music. That's a logic I subscribe to."

Sheesh:mad:

It takes one technical ignoramus to design it and another to review it!

Hugo9000

I'm surprised that in all this "storytelling" we don't find out why it's okay for them to engage in decades of cultural appropriation with their company and model names. Small potatoes compared to multi-billion-dollar sports teams, so I guess it doesn't matter as long as it makes a nice brand 'story' for marketing a company based in Canada whose owners have zero native heritage...

Matthew J Poes

Technical Expert
Reviewer
I'll just throw in my two cents here: I know and consider both John Atkinson and Kal Rubinson to be friends. In fact, Kal and I were supposed to give a talk together on the importance of surround sound for accurately reproducing acoustic spaces. On speakers, Kal and I have probably never agreed, and that's fine. We take a different approach to reviewing.

He relies solely on his hearing I suppose and how a product speaks to him. I'm very analytic, I focus not only on it's measured performance, but subjectively listen for things like tonal balance and bandwidth deviation, bass extension, imaging accuracy, etc. Subjective impressions of measurable attributes. I've heard lots of "bad" speakers that are fun to listen to. I won't say they sound good, but they can certainly be entertaining. I still don't want to own them.

In my opinion, this is a flawed speaker that is badly engineered. Now, in their defense, they did it on purpose. They aren't incompetent. They just prioritize what I think are the wrong things. It measures this way because the crossover is very simplistic with shallow slopes.

Having said all that, i will never fault someone for liking something I don't. I think there is too much anger and energy put towards peoples who like objectively flawed products. At the end of the day, to each their own. I'll do what I do and try to educate my readers. I will hope it leads to a focus on good solid engineering and high sound quality (consistent with those principles).

I can say this about Kal, he has done Harman's listening tests and accurately picked the better sounding speakers.

I will also say, it's hard reviewing flawed products. Especially because rarely is a product just total garbage. At Audioholics we try to tell it like it is. We have lost advertising contracts routinely because of it. And there in lies the rub. If a product is flawed and we are really negative, we are guaranteed to make an enemy of the manufacturer. You might say that is how it should be, but what happens is eventually nobody trusts you and nobody is willing to send you products. You then are stuck relying on buying products or consumers sending you products (which both have big limitations and is not a great model to operate an audio magazine by). That is the consumer reports and Rting model and one of those is nearly out of business due to lack of funds and the other doesn't review audio anymore. What then happens is that you have to be open and honest about a products flaws while also sharing what it might do well. Often really ugly measurement flaws are not as audible as one might think, especially with music and when you aren't actively looking for those flaws.

I'm doing a lot of work on a testing protocol for soundbars and as a result doing some reviews and measurements of various $1500 or less soundbars. Do you think those measure well? Nope! Do you think they sound good? Not really. Can I say that? Kind of, but I better sandwich it with something positive, like its a nice convenient package. Or it sounds ok binge watching on netflix while distracted on my phone.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
"And therein lies what I believe the Skylights do best—indeed, better than most speakers, regardless of price: tell a story. They understand pacing. They understand that a track has a beginning, a middle, and an end. You feel it when you listen to them, like you're being led down a path toward a conclusion. They made me pay attention out of fear I'd miss something important—a clue, a piece of the puzzle, a precious gem.

I think that's the best thing we can say about a component: that it makes us want to listen to its story. If I had to pinpoint in audiophile terms what makes the Skylights so skilled at this, I'd zero in on their combination of midband clarity and sense of rhythm and drive."

Dammit, I thought for sure this was a Herb Reichert review based on this text.

My creative writing identification algo needs some work...

Geert

Major Contributor
From the "review":
"he's among the speaker builders who believes that no measurement technique can beat the human ear and brain in capturing the micro information that makes real music."
Best pitch ever. This will make lot's of audiophools buy them blind.

murraycamp

Forum Donor
" I think that's the best thing we can say about a component: that it makes us want to listen to its story. If I had to pinpoint in audiophile terms what makes the Skylights so skilled at this, I'd zero in on their combination of midband clarity and sense of rhythm and drive."

F**k me. I started to write what absolutely ridiculous twaddle and nonsense this is, but what's the point? I guess I'll just pull up a chair, get comfortable, and have my miniDSP SHD tell me a story. Maybe the one about the three little pigs, Air, Midrange Bloom and PRAT.

F**k me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom