• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Computer with active studio monitors - DAC or DAC & Headphone amp better?

bubba

Hi,

I have a audiolab mdac with active studio monitors XLR running independently as a music player without a computer and am very happy with it.

I now want to get a DAC for my computer also driving active studio monitors on XLR. I want to connect the DAC through USB.

Should I get a pure DAC (eg Topping D70) or a DAC & headphone amp (eg. Topping DX7s)? Would a headphone amp provide more oomph ?

thanks
bubba

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You do not run your monitors on the headphone amp section. I’d recommend a pure DAC/pre if you’re just going to listen to monitors but if you want to listen to headphones as well, you need an all in one like the DX7 pro

BTW, if you’re using a desktop and not a laptop then you need to use optical to avoid grounding issues

BostonJack

Editor
I'm considering a similar decision. One factor I'm considering is that the volume control on the DAC may require nudge buttons on a remote control ( not very intuitive) and some DACs have a possibility of being accidentally mode switched and going to full output.

I'd like to have a big knob of some sort, either a passive or active preamp, that will allow anyone to turn that output down fast without a lot of thinking in between.

urfaust

I used to think a volume knob on the dac was a must but windows volume with shortcut is also handy (actually controling the dac directly). Now depends your utilization but for "simple" listening it's great. I got so used to just tap a key on the keyboard, i wouldn't use a knob now, and bonus you get a level value poping on your screen.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
You do not run your monitors on the headphone amp section. I’d recommend a pure DAC/pre if you’re just going to listen to monitors but if you want to listen to headphones as well, you need an all in one like the DX7 pro
Another economical alternate you could start with is the $9 Apple dongle DAC and great $100 - $200 separate headphone/pre amp - Heresy, Magni 3+, Geshelli 2.5 xlr etc. Even a Liquid Spark - which is still a good SINAD match for the Apple - which is what I use with it's line outs as well as 3.5mm for HP. (Unbalanced - but no problems; hum or noise)

Maybe use the 'leftover' $$ for headphones if you haven't tried them recently. I really like my HE400i planars with the LS - $169. No need to spend more, imo. Even the SHP9500 at maybe $69 - I use for casual/tv because they are so comfortable..

soyabeaner

I used to think a volume knob on the dac was a must but windows volume with shortcut is also handy (actually controling the dac directly). Now depends your utilization but for "simple" listening it's great. I got so used to just tap a key on the keyboard, i wouldn't use a knob now, and bonus you get a level value poping on your screen.
Nothing beats a big volume knob for desktop use IMO because of texture alone. Even better if it's flat-facing for ergonomic reasons. Sure, you can assign keys of your preference to control up/down, but unless all the software you use have OSD indicators of the max/min levels, it won't be as good. My current DAC has a simple rotary knob that lets me know when I've reached the minimum and maximum levels without looking at my hand or the computer monitor. I also feel it would be faster and has a more comfortable control using thumb + index finger and would never have a chance of pressing the wrong key on a keyboard.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing beats a big volume knob for desktop use IMO because of texture alone. Even better if it's flat-facing for ergonomic reasons. Sure, you can assign keys of your preference to control up/down, but unless all the software you use have OSD indicators of the max/min levels, it won't be as good. My current DAC has a simple rotary knob that lets me know when I've reached the minimum and maximum levels without looking at my hand or the computer monitor. I also feel it would be faster and has a more comfortable control using thumb + index finger and would never have a chance of pressing the wrong key on a keyboard.

I get what you mean about the usability of the volume knob and how it suits you. I'm sure my setup would bug people because I have my Atom/D50S stack turned sideways at about a 75-80 degree angle on my desk. That way I'm more rolling the volume knob toward me, but I can still see the white marker on the dial. I also like plugging and unplugging my headphone jack from left to right rather than straight in and out since I have to steady the stack to do so with the Atom/D50S.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What grounding issues?

I've used a PC with several USB DACs and never had any issues.

If someone has grounding issues (e.g. a hum or clicking/electrical noise as CPU/GPU usage goes to 100% load) then going optical + DAC that doesn’t have a ground plug is the remedy. If your PC doesn’t have USB issues then no need to switch from USB. I don’t have grounding issues with my USB DAC

Top Bottom