• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Computer to TV Sound

Mike B

I connect my PC to my TV with an HDMI cord. Video works great. I thought HDMI also carried sound but the TV does not show up in my Windows 10 "Sound" settings. I could run an audio or USB cable but I was sure that HDMI carried the sound.

Follow me for more newbie questions

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, you are correct, but...
First a few questions:
What type och graphics card do you have and do you use that to connect to the TV?
Can you find your graphics cars in the sound control panel (similar to mine)?
The 2963 is my AOC UW monitor.
1602100209934.png

OP
M

Mike B

Screenshot 2020-10-07 201256.jpg

OK here are my options. "Realtek" is the built in sound card. I have two head sets that are currently unplugged. the M55-DO is the crappy little speakers in my monitor. I do not see the TV.

win

View attachment 86701

OK here are my options. "Realtek" is the built in sound card. I have two head sets that are currently unplugged. the M55-DO is the crappy little speakers in my monitor. I do not see the TV.

How are the speakers in your monitor getting sound? Looks like from their HDMI connection. Can you use that?

OP
M

Mike B

How are the speakers in your monitor getting sound? Looks like from their HDMI connection. Can you use that?

You know that is weird. One monitor is connected with the old school 9-pin cable. The second monitor /was/ connected using HDMI. It's crappy tiny speakers kept playing until I disabled them. I unplugged that monitor and plugged a long HDMI cable into my TV. It never got sound. The PC seems to be looking for my old monitor.

OP
M

Mike B

Try bringing up the AMD graphics control panel and see whether you've got anything relating to monitor audio there. Your audio is basically going to the wrong one now, you'd have to fix that.
I am not sure how to get there.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
When you plug in a HDMI cable from a Windows computer to a TV, the TV should show up in the Windows Sound panel as an available output device. From there you may need to right-click it and click "Set as Default Device."

If it doesn't show up, you might try a different cable. Unfortunately, there are a ton of different HDMI cable specs.

What kind of TV? Has it ever worked this way?

OP
M

Mike B

When you plug in a HDMI cable from a Windows computer to a TV, the TV should show up in the Windows Sound panel as an available output device. From there you may need to right-click it and click "Set as Default Device."

If it doesn't show up, you might try a different cable. Unfortunately, there are a ton of different HDMI cable specs.

What kind of TV? Has it ever worked this way?
It is a Vizio TV, it has never received sound via the HDMI cable from the computer. It does get HDMI from our cable box and the sound works great that way.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try right-clicking anywhere on the sound control panel and make sure these two options are checked:

1602200925315.png

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are, Thanks!

My next move would be to find another HDMI-capable device and plug it into that. If it works (although ofc it probably won't), that will rule out the PC and the cable as culprits.

EDIT: and conversely, to plug some other laptop or device into the TV and see if that works.

OP
M

Mike B

OK, solved! I had to turn the TV on and make it look at the computer. Then I could enable it. But the sound still came out of my computer monitor speakers that were plugged into the 3.5 mm jack. Even when I made the TV "default." But if I disable the monitor speakers then the TV speakers do get audio. So If I send a video to the TV all I have to do is "disable" the computer speakers and the TV soundbar gets audio.

Top Bottom