• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Computer Sound System

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
The recommendations for used AVR confuse me. I guess you get a power amp inside it, and can use passive speakers. If you want multichannel surround HTPC then yes, makes sense. For my own desktop PC system, I went for two-channel stereo. I’d go with a Topping, JDS Labs or similar DAC new for maybe $150 or so, and powered desktop monitors. Nice offerings are available from Adam, Yamaha, JBL, Genelec, Neumann and others. If you choose carefully, you can get a speaker pair and DAC for maybe $400 or $500 total and add a small, used sub now or later.
AV receivers usually have a lot of power for a 2 channel setup.

Honken

Not sure about your local prices, but what about the offerings from iLoud? Locally, they are around your price point and well, they seem to me like a good fit for the use case. The bass output won't make your neighbours complain though.

SMc

I'd like to see that. Do you know if that was made for them by Edifier? It looks a lot like the S series.
It does, but does Edifier have anything like that wide port in front?

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Many affordable powered monitors will have as much or more, I believe.
I doubt it. The receiver (Sony STR-DN1000) I mentioned above has great power for cheap. Measurements: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-str-dn1000-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 58.9 watts
1% distortion at 69.3 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 55.3 watts
1% distortion at 64.9 watts

Two channels 8 Ohms (CD Input):
0.1% distortion at 112.4 watts
1% distortion at 127.9 watts

Two channels 4 Ohms (CD Input):
0.1% distortion at 144.2 watts
1% distortion at 167.0 watts

Tom C

Major Contributor
JBL 305p: 82 watts total class D power (per channel)
JBL 306p and 308p: 112 watts total class D power (per channel)
So, it would depend on what passive speakers you chose to pair with the AVR, but I guess similar amp power for similar cost.
Personal choice.
How much space you have on your desktop may factor in

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
So, it would depend on what passive speakers you chose to pair with the AVR, but I guess similar amp power for similar cost.
Personal choice.

I'm not the biggest fan of active speakers but I understand why people would get them. At least there not getting a soundbar lol
Your left with a big lump when active speakers die. Can't replace the amp, unless you jerry rig a crossover and hook it up to an outside amp or manage to find an exact replacement. Can't replace the drivers unless you find compatible ones, even if you do, it'll mess with the crossover. You could run wires out of the once-active speaker to a passive speaker but that's pretty ghetto.

At least with a dismantlable setup, you can replace anything easily.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It does, but does Edifier have anything like that wide port in front?
I think we were referring to different speakers. I was talking about these:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Bookshelf-Speakers-Speaker-20-20KHz/dp/B07WBRKS8Q, while I think you must mean https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Bookshelf-Speakers-Active-Speaker/dp/B07WBS8ML1. Edifier does have a wide port on their P series passive speakers, but not a slot like that. Still, that design has quite a resemblance to the previous S series speakers like the S2000 Pro.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Personal choice.
If you catch the 305P when they go on sale, and pair them with a good $100 DAC, you'd have a very good desktop system for $300-$350, although no subwoofer. To match it with discreet components for the same price would be very hard. Even if you buy used, there just aren't all that many good sounding small affordable passive speakers.

Top Bottom