• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

computer setup for headphones and speakers

q3cpma

Major Contributor
How do the jbl 305p compare to the rokit 5 g4?
Way better, but the JBL has build quality/corner cutting issue and massive hiss while Rokit has a worse sound (lol no waveguide in 2020) and massive reliability issues (see "black gunk of death" on youtube). If you're ready to go for 5", I'd recommend the Adam T5V, Presonus Eris E5 XT and possibly Tannoy Gold 5 (no bass, though).
Still, think about the models I mentioned before; better get the state of the art so you can cure upgradeitis. Especially since 4" is more proper for "computer speakers" (depend on your desk depth, though).

OP
H

Halo3000

Way better, but the JBL has build quality/corner cutting issue and massive hiss while Rokit has a worse sound (lol no waveguide in 2020) and massive reliability issues (see "black gunk of death" on youtube). If you're ready to go for 5", I'd recommend the Adam T5V, Presonus Eris E5 XT and possibly Tannoy Gold 5 (no bass, though).
Still, think about the models I mentioned before; better get the state of the art so you can cure upgradeitis. Especially since 4" is more proper for "computer speakers" (depend on your desk depth, though).
So the presonus Eris E5 is $500AUD and the neumann/genelec are $1500-1750AUD for the 4 inch, what do you reckon, still worth the quality ones over cheapies ?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
So the presonus Eris E5 is $500AUD and the neumann/genelec are $1500-1750AUD for the 4 inch, what do you reckon, still worth the quality ones over cheapies ?
If you don't plan to buy a sub later, I'd choose a 5", as low frequency extension is important. By the way, I was talking about the Eris E5 XT, not their old one.
About spending, it's entirely up to you. Classic Genelec (80x0) is something that'll probably last you a lifetime and can be considered state of the art in the analogue active playground. I'd say if you can spend that kind of money without worries, go for it.

OP
H

Halo3000

If you don't plan to buy a sub later, I'd choose a 5", as low frequency extension is important. By the way, I was talking about the Eris E5 XT, not their old one.
About spending, it's entirely up to you. Classic Genelec (80x0) is something that'll probably last you a lifetime and can be considered state of the art in the analogue active playground. I'd say if you can spend that kind of money without worries, go for it.
Yep sorry I meant the XT, I've spent a lot this year so I might just go with the Eris E5 xt for work office then get some better ones for home in the future

wwenze

Major Contributor

Yea, I can't help but feel the world looks at LSR305 too much without testing the rest.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of 305p MKII's arriving on Monday

I bought a pair of white 305p MKII's (£99 each) and some Fluid Audio desk stands (£36). Last night, I unboxed one monitor. First impressions were good, the monitor was well packaged, seems to be put together properly and would look really great on my desk - a desk which I would have to re-arrange as the 305p MKII is considerably larger than my JBL 1 Series 104's (perhaps too large for my little office...).

To test the monitor, I plugged into into the pre-out of my JDS Labs Atom (RCA to XLR). As I feared, I was greeted with a large amount of hiss from the tweater. It didn't seem to matter what volume was set on the Atom or the 305p, the hiss remained audible and was much to annoying for me, so I decided to send them back.

I have considered the alternatives. I almost ordered the Presonus Eris E5 XT's (£125 each in the UK), however the XT's are even wider than the 305p's and I just couldn't see a way to fit them on my desk. I looked at lots of other 5" monitors and decided that they are all too big for my desk, so I've dropped down to 4" and have ordered a pair of Tannoy Reveal 402's to try. I found them for £68 each, they are usually £80-90 in the UK, so it seems like a bargain - time will tell, they arrive on Friday...

OP
H

Halo3000

I bought a pair of white 305p MKII's (£99 each) and some Fluid Audio desk stands (£36). Last night, I unboxed one monitor. First impressions were good, the monitor was well packaged, seems to be put together properly and would look really great on my desk - a desk which I would have to re-arrange as the 305p MKII is considerably larger than my JBL 1 Series 104's (perhaps too large for my little office...).

To test the monitor, I plugged into into the pre-out of my JDS Labs Atom (RCA to XLR). As I feared, I was greeted with a large amount of hiss from the tweater. It didn't seem to matter what volume was set on the Atom or the 305p, the hiss remained audible and was much to annoying for me, so I decided to send them back.

I have considered the alternatives. I almost ordered the Presonus Eris E5 XT's (£125 each in the UK), however the XT's are even wider than the 305p's and I just couldn't see a way to fit them on my desk. I looked at lots of other 5" monitors and decided that they are all too big for my desk, so I've dropped down to 4" and have ordered a pair of Tannoy Reveal 402's to try. I found them for £68 each, they are usually £80-90 in the UK, so it seems like a bargain - time will tell, they arrive on Friday...
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, let me know how these go !

OP
H

Halo3000

I went with 8010a genelecs, Motu m2 audio interface
Is this ok ? Can't wait

OP
H

Halo3000

1) Don't spend more than $300 on DAC and headphone amp, unless you NEED some functionality. Choose one with balanced line out, nearfield experience can really suffer from even faint hiss.
Something like the Motu M2, Audient iD4 or Focusrite Solo might do the trick.
2) Genelec 8020D or Neumann KH80DSP for speakers. Nothing comes close in quality and sound (at that size). Can be augmented later by a small sub.
Maybe think about their bigger siblings (8030C or KH120A) if you have the money and desk space.

The Genelecs in particular have some great space saving stands for their smaller models (8020 & 8030), around 140€/pair:
View attachment 52840View attachment 52841
Should I have gone the 8020d or 8030 over the 8010a ? For my computer setup ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You should see it under my post...

My desktop setup is this...

Desk: PC > Topping D50s > JDS Atom > AKG K712Pro or Massdrop x HifiMan HE4xx or JBL 1 Series 104

I switch between headphones and speakers by unplugging the headphones (as Vincent Kars mentions). I'm considering replacing the JBL 1 Series 104's with some JBL 305p MKII's, but room on my desk is tight and need to work out how they will fit first.
Only on desktop browser, not mobile

OP
H

Halo3000

Or should I change the order to neumann kh 120 for an extra 40% cost ?

OP
H

Halo3000

I think you should buy a calibrated measurement mic (e.g. UMIK-1) and invest some time learning how use REW to measure the speakers, compute and then apply room correction to the 8010a.
After reading reviews I think the 8010a 's are perfect for the office 3m wide x 2.5m deep, il look into the UMiK-1 to get them setup right, thanks very much

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After reading reviews I think the 8010a 's are perfect for the office 3m wide x 2.5m deep, il look into the UMiK-1 to get them setup right, thanks very much

My office is a similar size, I bought the JBL 305p MKII's and they were just too big for the space I have available (not so much the volume, but in terms of physical space). That's why I ended up with the 4" Tannoy Reveal 402's. I am considering augmenting the 402's with a sub - probably the Fostex PM-SUBmini 2 when it comes back into stock in the UK. Placement will be interesting as several people have recommended putting it on the desktop, rather than under it. I have a deep bay window behind my desk, so the sub will sit just inside the right monitor, but 30cm behind it.

williamchiawq

Hi all, due to work from home. I'm switching from portable audio to desktop audio. Its really kind of annoying with low volume built-in monitor speaker. So I'm planning getting myself a Edifier R1700BT (active 2.0 bookshelf speakers).

Since I'm switching from portable audio to desktop audio. I have fully utilized my portable audio items. Right now I'm using Fiio X5 DAP (an audio player like Ipod) as DAC to my headphone, Sennheiser momentum over ear. I'm abit struggling between a few different combination as a audio setup, switchable between headphone and speakers
1. Fiio X5 as DAC --> Sennheiser Momentum (headphone), PC --》 R1700BT via RCA. (A bit worry on direct audio output from PC, which may too much audio quality difference compare to headphone. And need switch audio output in Windows)
2. Fiio X5 as DAC --> behringer microamp ha400/Art HeadAmp 4 (headphone amp with 4 outputs) --> both momentum and R1700BT (Good to have the headphone amp which easily switching between headphone and speaker. But I worried about a headphone DAC + headphone amp + powered speaker will create disaster on the sound)
3. Forget about Fiio X5, get a new DAC and Amp which can do well on both powered speakers and headphone.

For option 1&2, I just don't want to waste my Fiio X5 DAP (it was around 300USD when I purchase) which can be a DAC, only single 3.5mm aux output. But I worry about these setup doesn't make any sense. If both option 1&2 doesn't really work well then what kind of DAC + Amp can do well with both powered speakers and headphone? Budget is as cheap as possible, 250 USD or below for DAC and Amp maybe?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping E30 + L30 would be excellent, but slightly over your budget.

Or the new new budget DAC/Amp king, the Loxjie D30: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d30-dac-and-headphone-amplifier-review.16679/

You could get the D30 and put the money saved towards the some better headphones, The Momentums are stylish, well made and comfortable, but they aren't that great accoustically (I have a pair, but I don't use them much these days).

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, due to work from home. I'm switching from portable audio to desktop audio. Its really kind of annoying with low volume built-in monitor speaker. So I'm planning getting myself a Edifier R1700BT (active 2.0 bookshelf speakers).

Since I'm switching from portable audio to desktop audio. I have fully utilized my portable audio items. Right now I'm using Fiio X5 DAP (an audio player like Ipod) as DAC to my headphone, Sennheiser momentum over ear. I'm abit struggling between a few different combination as a audio setup, switchable between headphone and speakers
1. Fiio X5 as DAC --> Sennheiser Momentum (headphone), PC --》 R1700BT via RCA. (A bit worry on direct audio output from PC, which may too much audio quality difference compare to headphone. And need switch audio output in Windows)
2. Fiio X5 as DAC --> behringer microamp ha400/Art HeadAmp 4 (headphone amp with 4 outputs) --> both momentum and R1700BT (Good to have the headphone amp which easily switching between headphone and speaker. But I worried about a headphone DAC + headphone amp + powered speaker will create disaster on the sound)
3. Forget about Fiio X5, get a new DAC and Amp which can do well on both powered speakers and headphone.

For option 1&2, I just don't want to waste my Fiio X5 DAP (it was around 300USD when I purchase) which can be a DAC, only single 3.5mm aux output. But I worry about these setup doesn't make any sense. If both option 1&2 doesn't really work well then what kind of DAC + Amp can do well with both powered speakers and headphone? Budget is as cheap as possible, 250 USD or below for DAC and Amp maybe?

I have the X5 MK II. I use it to play music in my bedroom over my Cambridge Audio CXA60 and PSB Imagine Mini speakers. It has good sound, and I have no interest in upgrading.

The Momentum Over Ear are easy to drive, so your X5 should easily drive them without need for a headphone amp. At least that is my experience with the Momentum 2 Over Ear.

If you really want a headphone amp, I would recommend the JDS Labs Atom amp for $100. It has two analog inputs and a pre-amp output. So you could connect your X5 and your analog out on Windows to it. And then your new speakers to the pre-amp out. You'd be able to use the volume control on the Atom with your new speakers.

Then move the rest of that budget towards even better speakers.

Top Bottom