• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

computer setup for headphones and speakers

Halo3000

Hi,

I ended up here because I've been researching dacs mainly for a volume control on my desk lol.

I appreciate good sound, and want to purchase a dac/amp with new computer speakers and possibly new headphones. Currently using just some cheap audio Technica open backs for the office.

I was Keen on the mayflower v2 because it could flick between headphones and speakers, but it doesn't control the speaker volume.

Could someone recommend me a system to flick between headphones and speakers for my desktop computer ? Also a nice set of speakers, headphones.

Just something that's worth the money for someone that appreciates clear low sounds.

Thanks

OP
H

Halo3000

Wherever you think the moot point in value is vs performance for each item. I'm happy with what you guys think, so no budget.

Aussie exchange is a killer anyway so whatever you think is expensive multiply by 2 and that's what we pay here !

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What speakers do you have? What speakers do you want? Active/passive? How big? How loud? do you want closed or open headphones? What sound signature do you like? do you want a single unit to be dac+amp+pre-amp, or separates? Do you want to use dsp/eq? do you want USB or optical (or HDMI)?

OP
H

Halo3000

Don't have any speakers, it's been killing me.
Active passive - whatever's better. Not bigher than bookshelf, not loud, open headphones, smaller space the better so all in one of possible, I like a balanced signature? DSP if you think I should, the office is glass and symmetrical, don't care what the input is, as long as I can plug it into my motherboard

Fluffy

Passive speakers will require you to purchase a separate amplifier. If you are space/budget constrained, it might be better to go for active ones. So small to medium sized active bookshelves are probably what you are looking for.

If you are plugging into a computer, I presume that means you are plugging it with USB. Internal DSP options sounds unnecessary because your computer can handle that. if you are in an office I suppose you have external power, so the device doesn't need to be powered by usb (meaning a desktop solution and not a portable one), which would diversify your choice of headphones.

For dac/headphone amp/pre-amp, I went to the Audio Electronics Reviews and Measurements Index and applied some filters according to your preferences. Here is what I got:
Electronics Dash.png

I couldn't filter for it, but you should only look at devices that can function as a pre-amp. That mean they have an analog line output from the rear, either RCA, XLR or TRS. Everything on this list is recommended by Amir, meaning they are guaranteed to be technically high performing.

For speakers, Amir just started testing them lately, so the list is too short to be useful. I suggest you read around (or even go and listen in a store if you have the time) and come up with some options, and bring them here so people can comment on them to find out which is preferred.

Edit: It's important to note that you should get an active speaker that has a compatible line connector to your pre-amp (RAC, XLR, or TRS). If they don't you can probably find some converting solution that would add a bit of clutter to your set up.

For headphones there are plenty of good measurements available, but this is more of a personal choice because of comfort and music style preferences. My usual advice is to go to a store with a wide selection of headphones, and listening to different models until you find one that's good for you in terms of sound and comfort. If you have a capable amplifier, any model can be driven with no issues.

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
it could flick between headphones and speakers, but it doesn't control the speaker volume.
Bit surprised to hear.
To the best of my knowledge most DAC's = pre-amp with digital inputs, do have volume control and this affects both line out and headphone out.
Most of the time the headphone socket works like a switch.
The moment you push the headphone jack in place, the speakers mute.
Some even sports independent volume control for both
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...os-xu216-mqa-32bit-768khz-dsd512-p-14077.html
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m500-dac-and-hp-amp-review.9606/
Combine this with some small active speakers and you have a nice compact system

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Ufff...Fostex TH500RP headaphones 496$ on Ebay shipped from Japan, couple months back you could snatch those for as low as 300$, sorry body. Schiit Magni 3 Heresy headphone amp for TH500RP or other serious planar one's 119$ on Amazon. LOXJIE D10 DAC 109. 20$ on Ali.
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR passive speakers 118$ on Amazon. That leaves us with power amplifier which will be very hard objective recommendation (as there's so little measured one's hire especially budget related). I will go completely of the chart here with cheap generic Chinese one Breeze Audio BA100 (2x TPA3116D2 +OP amp NE5532P) 26.60$ from Ali without power supply adapter, recommendation is 5~6A 24V one which is 13~17$ on Ali (don't buy it in a same store in which you buy power amplifier as those are 4A 24V). You can use & stronger laptop adapter but I told you what's ideal. Of course all of this is just for your consideration. You can find measurements for all except headaphones and power amplifier hire. LOXJIE P10 is rather exotic esthetic design so I don't know would you like that.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See my signature for a desktop setup. The line out on the Atom is volume controlled, so I control the JBL speaker volume from there (JBL volume left at 2 o'clock).

q3cpma

Major Contributor
1) Don't spend more than $300 on DAC and headphone amp, unless you NEED some functionality. Choose one with balanced line out, nearfield experience can really suffer from even faint hiss.
Something like the Motu M2, Audient iD4 or Focusrite Solo might do the trick.
2) Genelec 8020D or Neumann KH80DSP for speakers. Nothing comes close in quality and sound (at that size). Can be augmented later by a small sub.
Maybe think about their bigger siblings (8030C or KH120A) if you have the money and desk space.

The Genelecs in particular have some great space saving stands for their smaller models (8020 & 8030), around 140€/pair:
10601917_800.jpg
13833181_800.jpg

Last edited:

Kouioui

Forum Donor
I use the FiiO K5 Pro from the list Fluffy posted. Volume knob controls both headphones and speakers. No dedicated switching so I use a smart powerstrip with voice commands for speakers on and off. RCA line outs only but I hear no more noise from my actives than with XLR audio interfaces. Short run RCA to 1/4" cable to sub xover to speakers (JBL 305P/310S). Suits my needs perfectly and not expensive. If you need mic preamps for podcasting/recording Motu M2 is worth a look but it hasn't been reviewed here.

OP
H

Halo3000

See my signature for a desktop setup. The line out on the Atom is volume controlled, so I control the JBL speaker volume from there (JBL volume left at 2 o'clock).
How do I see your signature?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do I see your signature?

You should see it under my post...

My desktop setup is this...

Desk: PC > Topping D50s > JDS Atom > AKG K712Pro or Massdrop x HifiMan HE4xx or JBL 1 Series 104

I switch between headphones and speakers by unplugging the headphones (as Vincent Kars mentions). I'm considering replacing the JBL 1 Series 104's with some JBL 305p MKII's, but room on my desk is tight and need to work out how they will fit first.

OP
H

Halo3000

1) Don't spend more than $300 on DAC and headphone amp, unless you NEED some functionality. Choose one with balanced line out, nearfield experience can really suffer from even faint hiss.
Something like the Motu M2, Audient iD4 or Focusrite Solo might do the trick.
2) Genelec 8020D or Neumann KH80DSP for speakers. Nothing comes close in quality and sound (at that size). Can be augmented later by a small sub.
Maybe think about their bigger siblings (8030C or KH120A) if you have the money and desk space.

The Genelecs in particular have some great space saving stands for their smaller models (8020 & 8030), around 140€/pair:
View attachment 52840View attachment 52841
Could you help me with these speakers, does it make a difference if I plug them into a amp or dac first, or just straight into the computer ?

OP
H

Halo3000

You should see it under my post...

My desktop setup is this...

Desk: PC > Topping D50s > JDS Atom > AKG K712Pro or Massdrop x HifiMan HE4xx or JBL 1 Series 104

I switch between headphones and speakers by unplugging the headphones (as Vincent Kars mentions). I'm considering replacing the JBL 1 Series 104's with some JBL 305p MKII's, but room on my desk is tight and need to work out how they will fit first.
How do the jbl 305p compare to the rokit 5 g4?

Top Bottom