• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Computer Colouration

scribley0

I have a FLAC library on an older Windows (10) PC HDD but listen most often to Spotify Connect (paid version with all settings on 'highest possible'). I have no EQ package running and ASIO is not active. The PC is connected to a Topping DX7 Pro via a reasonable-quality USB cable.

I recently started using a reasonably high-end tablet and as an experiment loaded the Spotify APP then connected via Bluetooth to the same Topping DX7.

Playing from the same Spotify account with the same settings carefully checked, it sounds better (cleaner and more dynamic) !!

I had thought that my PC was bringing in supposedly 'bit perfect' digital info but apparently it's not. Old school logic would lead me to think the PC processing must be degrading/colouring the source material somehow ?

Is there a way anyone can suggest of getting a cleaner 'digital stream' through my existing PC? Or is it just time for a new one ? (or better to set up something that's dedicated to sound processing (Rasp Pi/NUC?).

dfuller

Major Contributor
Spotify uses different lossy algorithms depending on device and quality, so that very well may be audible.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there a way anyone can suggest of getting a cleaner 'digital stream' through my existing PC?
Open the Sound Control Panel and make sure your DAC is set to 44100Hz, 32bit there. That'll avoid unnecessary sample rate conversion.

Also a good idea to install Equalizer APO, even if you don't use EQ.
Just installing it will disable a limiter/compressor that comes by default with Windows. More here.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You can't conclude anything other than you are listening to two different sources. It could sound "better" to you for any number of reasons, the most simple being that it's just louder than the FLAC file you have (Spotify compresses and controls loudness among other stuff).

OP
scribley0

scribley0

Thank you staticV3 - will try EQ APO next !

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is by default, both systems will be “compromised”. The Spotify app does not have exclusive hardware access to the audio interface, and will go though the windows mixer. Fixing it to the correct sample rate will help there, but the Windows mixer just isn’t one of the best.

Many Android devices will likewise resample all audio to 48 kHz. Often some additional software is required to get it to be bit perfect. And then you’re also connecting though Bluetooth, which is also lossy.

Is any of this audible? Possibly, maybe even probably.

dfuller

Major Contributor
connected via Bluetooth
I don't know how I missed this, but bluetooth audio streaming is almost certainly audible. It's super lossy.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
What codec are you using on Bluetooth? Almost all of them are lossy.
If you are using a lossy codec and it sounds "better" than lossless files and connections on the PC, why is this?

dorakeg

What codec are you using on Bluetooth? Almost all of them are lossy.
If you are using a lossy codec and it sounds "better" than lossless files and connections on the PC, why is this?

Remember the experience regarding MP3 and uncompressed audio by BBC?? Although most people can't tell any difference, some pointed out that the MP3 version actually sounds better.

We may be seeing something similar in this case. The perception of what sounds better is highly subjective.

Top Bottom