• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compulsive Buying Disorder

Wombat

Master Contributor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was on that path on music buying until I subscribed to Tidal. Saving literally thousands of dollars per year.

Now, the forum equipment purchases. That is what I thought your thread was about. :D

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I don't fit that type. I stopped before it was too late.
I reborn.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
I was on that path on music buying until I subscribed to Tidal. Saving literally thousands of dollars per year.

Now, the forum equipment purchases. That is what I thought your thread was about. :D

Well, it may have inspired it a little but you have an irrefutable excuse - benevolently helping your fellow members. :D

Now what about the rest of us? :confused:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I don't have Compulsive Buying Disorder.

Maybe a bit of impulsive behavior from time to time.

But that's rare, and I'll rate the results as satisfactory, based upon estimates of my low level of buyer's remorse.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
I don't have Compulsive Buying Disorder.

Maybe a bit of impulsive behavior from time to time.

But that's rare, and I'll rate the results as satisfactory, based upon estimates of my low level of buyer's remorse.

Me too. ;)

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Same here. I also have a Spotify subscription. More Music and good sound (I know, I know, it's only mp3 320 kb/s but unsuspecting audiophiles and I cannot seem to be able to detect the differences) and a stupendously vast library, obscure pieces from my own country are found regularly on it ...

Sylafari

Well it says that compulsive buying disorder will result in "gross social, personal and/or financial difficulties". I am not suffering any of that except maybe the social difficulties. After all I'm on a forum educating myself with random people on the internet on why all my past purchases might have been all audiophoolery :D

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I also have a Spotify subscription. More Music and good sound (I know, I know, it's only mp3 320 kb/s...)
Ogg Vorbis, actually.
The desktop app’s standard quality is Ogg Vorbis 160kbit/s.
Premium subscribers can choose to switch on High quality streaming, which uses 320kbit/s:

SpeedyRodent

A few years ago, I got caught up with constantly acquiring headphones, dacs, and headphone amps. Thankfully it was just a phase and I got out of it after consistent disappointment of the products not living up to the subjective reviews. My purchases was mostly driven by hyped up reviews on head-fi, changstar, and sbaf. Not sure if I consider this compulsive buying disorder? Maybe a minor case. lol. I always thought it was effective marketing at work.

I also got caught up in the whole mirrorless camera hype a few years ago too. That one came to a end quickly.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But IIRC, I've heard you discuss having lots of BluRay movies laying around that you haven't watched yet. :p

bobhol

I have CBD for equipment and media. For equipment it kicks in after 6 months of no purchases. Stuff on Craigs list that I had been ignoring starts to look more interesting. I can combat it a little by hooking up equipment that had been siting idle.
The only cure for me is retiring from my job. lack of money will stop me.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I used to buy (expensive!) hi-res from HDTracks. Then came Qobuz Sublime+ with hi-res streaming.

Now I wonder if good ol’ 16/44 will suffice...

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Only three different speakers (2 Maggies and 1 Linkwitz) in the last 38 years, all of which I still have and are in use, although some more than others.

I do buy less music because of Qobuz, but if I like something enough I will try to find a used CD if possible or buy the download, depending on which is cheaper.

I find myself using dr-database a lot these days to source the best recording from a DR point of view, rather than just purchasing any old version on amazon or elsewhere. I recently managed to find all the Barry Diament remastered Bob Marley CDs at good prices through Discogs. Some tracks have a DR of 17 and very few are below 13- not bad for popular music. It feels a bit like record collecting which I haven't really done since the proper record stores disappeared.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I’m upgrading my cabling from canare Quad Star and 4S11 to Mogami 2791 and 3104. I’m out of control. I think I’ll play this song when I install the new cables:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I’m upgrading my cabling from canare Quad Star and 4S11 to Mogami 2791 and 3104. I’m out of control. I think I’ll play this song when I install the new cables:

Which colour? It’s very important to match cable colour with interior in the room.

As usual, YMMV.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Listen very carefully.

Relax.

Reduce your mind to mush.

Send me your old speaker cables...

200.gif

(and all your money)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I’m upgrading my cabling from canare Quad Star and 4S11 to Mogami 2791 and 3104. I’m out of control
Tisk Tisk, Mike whatever are we to do with you?
I know of a 12 step program for audiophiles but you have to hit rock bottom first.
Let us know if you start buying grounding boxes or magic dots.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I’m upgrading my cabling from canare Quad Star and 4S11 to Mogami 2791 and 3104. I’m out of control. I think I’ll play this song when I install the new cables: <elided>

What do you expect to be different?

And ignore Ray. High humidity, heat, swamps are all bad for cables. Send them to me, nice clean mountain air, low humidity...

Top Bottom