• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compression on Lucinda Williams Gravel Road

Fregly

I've had this CD kicking around for years and have only just got around to listening. Really wonderful. One strange thing about the engineering I find most of the band is recorded well and natural, however guitar leads on the tracks have a terrible amount of distorted compression and most all the vocals when into the upper dynamics are really fried. You can hear the sound hitting the wall and push into a crackle smear. I can't find any reference to it other than an interview with Lucinda on the fits and starts of making the record. She was not happy with some of the sounds and heard what Steve Earle was doing on his own project at the time, which struck her as the solution and what she wanted. She had her producer listen to it and he said it sounded shit with way to much compression, but Ludinda insisted. So I am really hearing what I am hearing. Such a strange dicotamy of most of the tracks built around the vocals are fine and then Lucindas voice, what matters most, gets the brittle sizzle treatment.

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had this CD kicking around for years and have only just got around to listening. Really wonderful. One strange thing about the engineering I find most of the band is recorded well and natural, however guitar leads on the tracks have a terrible amount of distorted compression and most all the vocals when into the upper dynamics are really fried. You can hear the sound hitting the wall and push into a crackle smear. I can't find any reference to it other than an interview with Lucinda on the fits and starts of making the record. She was not happy with some of the sounds and heard what Steve Earle was doing on his own project at the time, which struck her as the solution and what she wanted. She had her producer listen to it and he said it sounded shit with way to much compression, but Ludinda insisted. So I am really hearing what I am hearing. Such a strange dicotamy of most of the tracks built around the vocals are fine and then Lucindas voice, what matters most, gets the brittle sizzle treatment.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the first pressing of this CD is HDCD encoded and is one of the relatively few HDCDs (outside of the Grateful Dead and Neil Young catalogues) that has the Peak Extend feature enabled. Without decoding, a Peak Extend-encoded HDCD will have some chopped-off peaks. With Peak Extend decoded, the CD player will lower the volume by 4dB and restore all the original peaks (Peak Extend allows up to 4dB of peak limiting during encoding).

So what you could be hearing is either the un-decoded HDCD, or a later, regular CD pressing the contains only the undecided HDCD info with the HDCD-encoded peaks thrown away.

Here's a link to the HDCD on Discogs - the only real way to tell which version you have is to look for the presence or absence of the HDCD logo inside the booklet:

https://www.discogs.com/Lucinda-Williams-Car-Wheels-On-A-Gravel-Road/release/1484789

If you don't have an HDCD version, they're for sale on discogs cheap.

OP
F

Fregly

I looked in the booklet and it is in fact HDCD. My cd player is ancient and must not be doing the decoding, if you burn it in JRiver or other will it restore the peaks?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I looked in the booklet and it is in fact HDCD. My cd player is ancient and must not be doing the decoding, if you burn it in JRiver or other will it restore the peaks?

I don't know if JRiver decodes HDCD - someone else here can answer I'm sure.

But in general, yes, you can rip the CD and then use HDCD-capable computer software to either play back the decoded HDCD stream - or better yet, decode the HDCD stream and save the result as 24-bit, 44.1kH digital tracks that you can then play back on any computer/digital setup.

There is an hdcd.exe command line app for DOS/Windows that will do that. And I believe the free foobar2000 app will detect HDCD and decode it on the fly during playback. I don't know if footer will decode and save to a file, though.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom