• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compression drivers?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Thanx!:cool:
My cheap compact home stereo is limited in low end, ~110 dB in listening position for 15-30 Hz. But the overall impression of the record is quite favorable.

that loud fluttering is what I was talking about in my original post. hearing that with a compression driver is almost scary.

Flaesh

1660920404973.png

Moderate load for tweeter; mine are dcx464 now.
The wooden ceilings and floors of our old house are shaking a little.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
What is this, 85 dB?

Dolby Atmos mix rooms should be capable of reproducing 85 dBC from each speaker at the mix position. Calibrating your room to 85dB C means, sending a -20dBFS pink noise signal to a single speaker and adjust the loudspeaker levels (and if required frequency response) until the speaker produces 85dB SPL when measured with an SPL meter, C-weighted, slow, measured at mix position. Repeat this process for all full-range speakers.

source: https://professionalsupport.dolby.c...ers-At-what-level-should-I-mix?language=en_US

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I am quite interested in the SB CD and horn here…https://josephcrowe.com/products/di...y-15-2-way-monitor-using-sb-audience-products

I do wonder, given this uses a Bianco CD, should I await the inevitable release of a Nero line of CD’s before I buy.

Performance looks great here, and not all that expensive.
Excited I must say BUT I am wondering about a few things. First, how come measured FR looks so different compared to SB's data?

Especially above around 12 kHz or so and above there. Why this huge rise?

Speaker no. 1786 --- Large DIY 15" 2-way Monitor using SB Audience Products:
Speaker_No._1786_Summed_Response_480x480.png

SB's own data on the Audience 65CDN-T 1.4" compression driver:
grafik ROSSO-65CDN-T (1).jpg

Then, and this actually relates more to room acoustics than compression drivers. If you push speakers into the corners of the listening room, support from the walls boosts the sensitivity but reflections of the sound, will it be optimal?

Untitled_Project_12_630302a0-a455-49fa-9c00-6ac96f4a51ae_480x480.png

Edit
But ok if it measures according to the link, in the corners, then FR is ok. 4dB diff to fix (on axes anyway) then notch filter above 10 kHz. FR that is, but reflections in the room?

Last edited:

Plcamp

First, how come measured FR looks so different compared to SB's data?
I believe he states within the description that he modified the CD (perhaps opened back and placed foam to reduce a resonance, as he has done before).

Flaesh

Why this huge rise?
[Usually] these are diaphragm resonances, [usually] they are more noticeable for large, 3-4", phragms. Coating may help, JBL -SL (aquaplased) phragms seem to be the best\most famous example.

SB's own data on the Audience 65CDN-T 1.4" compression driver
in H280 horn:
1661916512053.png

BTW your avatar is definetly good.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
... how come measured FR looks so different compared to SB's data?

Especially above around 12 kHz or so and above there. Why this huge rise?

Speaker no. 1786 --- Large DIY 15" 2-way Monitor using SB Audience Products:
View attachment 227678

SB's own data on the Audience 65CDN-T 1.4" compression driver:
View attachment 227679
The difference north of 12 kHz could be a crossover effect or an acoustic effect.

Presumably the crossover is subtracting energy south of 12 kHz in order to equalize the response of the horn/compression driver combination and get a good level-match with the woofer, and perhaps what we are seeing north of 12 kHz is the result of non-subtraction in that region. It is also possible that the region north of 12 kHz is being deliberately boosted by the crossover network, which would show up in the impedance curve as an impedance dip.

It is also possible that the horn in the upper graph has significant pattern-narrowing north of 12 kHz, such that the acoustic energy up there is being "squeezed" into a narrow angle, with the effect of increasing the on-axis SPL in that region at the expense of the off-axis SPL in that region.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
[Usually] these are diaphragm resonances, [usually] they are more noticeable for large, 3-4", phragms. Coating may help, JBL -SL (aquaplased) phragms seem to be the best\most famous example.

in H280 horn:
View attachment 227733
BTW your avatar is definetly good.
Aha! It looks nice if you like a sloping FR. Many people do that, but a 10 dB difference between 1.5 kHz and 6 kHz is a lot. EQ may probably be needed.:)

And if you like that dispersion on the horn:
Dispersion 60° x 40°

"BTW your avatar is definetly good."
My avatar is the best thing I've posted, expressed here on ASR, anything but it fades to be honest. That it would happen in our lifetime. This mad power, land hungry dictator, brr. Best not to say more.

The difference north of 12 kHz could be a crossover effect or an acoustic effect.

Presumably the crossover is subtracting energy south of 12 kHz in order to equalize the response of the horn/compression driver combination and get a good level-match with the woofer, and perhaps what we are seeing north of 12 kHz is the result of non-subtraction in that region. It is also possible that the region north of 12 kHz is being deliberately boosted by the crossover network, which would show up in the impedance curve as an impedance dip.

It is also possible that the horn in the upper graph has significant pattern-narrowing north of 12 kHz, such that the acoustic energy up there is being "squeezed" into a narrow angle, with the effect of increasing the on-axis SPL in that region at the expense of the off-axis SPL in that region.
"....subtracting energy south of 12 kHz in order to equalize the response of the horn/compression driver...."

Aha, that seems reasonable, there is a big difference in the slope between "Speaker no. 1786 --- Large DIY 15" 2-way Monitor using SB Audience Products"
and SB's measurement with their H280 horn.

Here are the data on the SB Audience H280, 1.4 inch

Dispersion so 60° x 40° okay but what is:
Directivity factor (Q) 18
Directivity factor (Dl 13
? Do you know that?

HORN_H280.gif

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Dispersion so 60° x 40° okay but what is:
Directivity factor (Q) 18
Directivity factor (Dl 13
? Do you know that?

View attachment 227771
The higher the DI, or "Directivity Index", the narrower the radiation pattern is.

The higher the Q, the more "pointy" the radiation pattern is. So the two numbers tend to approximately track one another.

The polar pattern graphs you provided show that the pattern changes significantly from low frequencies to high frequencies, so the numbers given by the manufacturer for DI and Q are averages.

Imo the actual graphs convey far more useful information than the Q and DI numbers do.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
The higher the DI, or "Directivity Index", the narrower the radiation pattern is.

The higher the Q, the more "pointy" the radiation pattern is. So the two numbers tend to approximately track one another.

The polar pattern graphs you provided show that the pattern changes significantly from low frequencies to high frequencies, so the numbers given by the manufacturer for DI and Q are averages.

Imo the actual graphs convey far more useful information than the Q and DI numbers do.
Aha, got it. :)

I think several people are interested in this: If you Duke were to put together a full-range two-way speaker (or down to...hm..you choose 20,30,40 Hz yourself) with compression drivers. Which compression drivers, including bass ditto, would you choose?:)

Parameter budget, hm, same there av choose yourself. It's just a thought experiment. ...or....:)

Edit:
What do I know. You are a manufacturer. Maybe you have some ready-made models/speakers, or DIY kits?:)

Last edited:

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
If you Duke were to put together a full-range two-way speaker (or down to...hm..you choose 20,30,40 Hz yourself) with compression drivers. Which compression drivers, including bass ditto, would you choose?
That's a big question.

I'd prioritize matching up the radiation patterns of woofer and horn in the crossover region, at least in the horizontal plane. Also, I'd look for a horn with fairly constant directivity, which does not rely on diffraction slots to widen the pattern at high frequencies, and which does not have sharp edges around the mouth. The 18Sound horns are among the best off-the-shelf horns in these respects.

Then I'd look at compression drivers which work well on the chosen horn, paying attention to getting a good match between the exit angle of the compression driver and the entry angle of the horn.

Here's an example of what something like this might look like:

IMG_4979-001.JPG

For an imo very well thought-out DIY approach, google "econowave".

fluid

Last edited:

Flaesh

tuga

Major Contributor
I think several people are interested in this: If you Duke were to put together a full-range two-way speaker (or down to...hm..you choose 20,30,40 Hz yourself) with compression drivers. Which compression drivers, including bass ditto, would you choose?:)

You can’t get constant directivity full range with a 2-way speaker, unless you are looking at omni dispersion.
For constant narrow using compression drivers on horns you are looking at 4-way minimum.

gy-k

I am quite interested in the SB CD and horn here…https://josephcrowe.com/products/di...y-15-2-way-monitor-using-sb-audience-products

I do wonder, given this uses a Bianco CD, should I await the inevitable release of a Nero line of CD’s before I buy.

Performance looks great here, and not all that expensive.
I like the response of the RCF ND650 in the factory datasheet better, and I guess would consider the poly surround a plus. Among others the Lavoce HD1403 horn looks nice, 80deg horizontal, the B&C ME90 is nice as well.

Top Bottom