• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compression drivers?

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've got two dayton pa380s sitting around, wouldn't mind doing a 2 way, suck at making passive xovers. Looking to see what cd's are all about. Any ideas?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I've got two dayton pa380s sitting around, wouldn't mind doing a 2 way, suck at making passive xovers. Looking to see what cd's are all about. Any ideas?
Regarding which compression driver that can fit with your Dayton pa380. Those who have more experience and knowledge can tip and give you advice about that. :) But here you can at least see different models, in many different price ranges:

Then this is probably partly due to what suits your Dayton pa380 plus your taste, how you want it to sound:

If you go ahead and build something, feel free to create a thread on the DIY section here at ASR. It will be fun to follow. Good luck! .... And have fun!:)

Edit:
I guess 24 dB crossover filter max up to hm..1300 Hz with your Dayton pa380? FR Dayton pa380:

Screenshot_2022-05-08_054754.jpg

I had used miniDSP or an active crossover, for example:

With miniDSP you get opportunities for crossover but also opportunities for EQ and it is always good to have. EQ that is.

So I avoided expensive inflexible passive 24 dB filter.:)

Last edited:

hex168

Waveguides that are good down to 1KHz are hard to come by right now, at least for 1" throat compression drivers, and those are best for a two-way without too much breakup in the high frequencies. At least, if you are not budgeting for a beryllium diaphragm. If it were not for availability issues, I'd be looking at a QSC waveguide as used in the larger econowaves, or a DIYSG SEOS-15 waveguide. Both unobtainium right now, as far as I know. Maybe a JBL waveguide:

with a PRV Audio D290Py-S compression driver:

But 1300 Hz is pushing it with that waveguide, and with that woofer, 1 KHz would be better. Easier with a Mini-dsp than with a passive, but you can look through the enormous Econowave threads for passive crossover hints:

mightycicadalord

Perhaps I am better off utilizing the 15" woofers for something else. I was aware it would be tough and probably costly to find a waveguide and CD to meet it. Perhaps two subs to sit below some 10-12" econowaves?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Perhaps I am better off utilizing the 15" woofers for something else. I was aware it would be tough and probably costly to find a waveguide and CD to meet it. Perhaps two subs to sit below some 10-12" econowaves?
Maybe ... hm this together with your Dayton pa380?
Note, IF they fit together, dispersion and so on.

It is not a compression driver per se.

Or, I think these are copies of BG NEO8, but check with those who build with similar, or them. They are not expensive. Can maybe be a fun low budget project? :)

He makes sweeps, measures frequency response in the video. With BG NEO8 in different configurations:

If you can now have such a big horn in your listening room? But that's another question. Drawings on that horn I think I saw somewhere, hm if I remember correctly. Otherwise, others can probably tell you about that? .:)

Last edited:

mightycicadalord

What about using the Dayton H812? Seems it offers pretty low freq loading and someone has good results with it and the 220ti? I think it might be able to meet the 15?

hex168

Has
What about using the Dayton H812? Seems it offers pretty low freq loading and someone has good results with it and the 220ti? I think it might be able to meet the 15?
Maybe:
Too bad Michael Chua does not test off-axis, although with all the testing he does it would be a time-sink. The question is, what frequency does it have pattern control down to? Also, I do not think the H812 is a CD horn, if that is important to you.

From data sheets, not personal experience, I suspect the PRV Py290-B would be better than the Selenium 220ti to try to get down to 1 KHz.

Plcamp

This driver looks interesting to me for replacement of a Tangband fullrange in OB from about 500 hz up, supported by two 15” OB woofers. It tested well by Joseph Crowe (with his horns). SB offers an inexpensive low cutoff horn.

This driver looks interesting to me for replacement of a Tangband fullrange in OB from about 500 hz up, supported by two 15” OB woofers. It tested well by Joseph Crowe (with his horns). SB offers an inexpensive low cutoff horn.

TheSB Audience Rosso 65CDN-T driver is a great driver in my experience. As the first configuration in a modular 3 way speaker build I have used it. I'm still in the process of setting up the overall system. But are some pics and measurements I got till now.

The speakers
Bass module uses 2 Satori WO24P-8 woofers per side and Sb Audience Rosso65CDNT on Faitalpro LTH142 horn (since I just got hands on this horn first. I am in the process of making other horns for the driver)
IMG_20220624_094607.jpg

Taking measurements
IMG_20220626_101042.jpg

Top woofer horizontal polar
wo24p_farfield_topwoofer.jpg

Woofer nearfield
wo24p_nearfield.jpg

Rosso65CDNT on LTH142 horn with a 150uF capacitor in series with the driver
Rosso65CDNT_farfield.jpg

First prototype crossover for evaluation
Crossover is implemented in Equalizer Apo on PC and uses my 6 channel ESI audio interface for dacs
1656265000075_2wayhorn_fullpolar3 XO-schema-1.png

System Response details
1656265000301_2wayhorn_fullpolar3 Six-pack.png

Vertical polars above maybe slightly wrong since I didn't take vertical polar measurements and the above pic assumes the horizontal and vertical polara of the drivers (+horn) is the same in both horizontal and vertical planes.

More work regarding measurements and refining the crososver and making the system 2.5 way instead of current 2 way configuration is in progress (along with a proper mounting method for the compression driver on top of the cabinet :))

Last edited:

Plcamp

Thanks for showing your data.

I would like to hear more about your intent to make new horns for these…that’s what I am thinking too. I would actually like to make the exit flare carved into a live edge plank.

Thanks for showing your data.

I would like to hear more about your intent to make new horns for these…that’s what I am thinking too. I would actually like to make the exit flare carved into a live edge plank
Hi,

I am going to 3D print horns for free standing configuration generated using ATH software from below site :)

Newman

Major Contributor
the horizontal and vertical polara of the drivers (+horn)
If it is not a measurement error, that horizontal beamwidth of the horn is extraordinarily narrow.

If it is not a measurement error, that horizontal beamwidth of the horn is extraordinarily narrow.
Yes it is narrow beamwidth horn. One of the reasons why I will be changing to a new horn and will be using other rop modules with the woofer module. I just used this horn since I had it lying around and wanted to get a system up and running first. :)

SDC

Waveguides that are good down to 1KHz are hard to come by right now

Oh my, just googled to find out b52 waveguide no longer available on PE.
No QSC no B52 no SEOS...
3d printing Ath seems to be the best option but not the cheap one...

Hard times for 1" while JBL waveguides are easily reachable to 1.5"s.

BTW I'm currently using 2544r with b52 and 128h in my room(w/subwoofers). They sounds amazing...

I have some exotic horns and domes with me but simple and cheap econowave they sing better than just good enough.

It would be a fun DIY project for anybody interested to 3d print standalone Ath horn and build simple woofer box along with 2, 4 subwoofers.

4, 6 mdf boxes and you're ready to hear the best of hi-fi!
(Well, to be honest long and not easy time for sound treatment and DSPing waits ahead but still, econowave is more than just economic.)

edit: added room fr measurements for three system.

D1224B6B-59CD-451F-87F5-DA8B206FF880.jpegF736E434-B891-4295-ACB5-DD8D35CE553B.jpeg

Last edited:

Trdat

Forum Donor
I mated the B-52 PHRN 1014 Dayton Horn and B&C DE250 with the 15 inch Deltalite 2 Neo 2515 using Audiolense for digital filters, everything in the chain is a measured device on ASR. Unfortunately, I haven't and still struggling to measure to understand the best crossover, for now I have it 900hz really keen to know if anyone has more information on the best crosssover for controlled dispersion for these two drivers?

I also have a standard wide dispersion 3 way which sounds great but nothing comes close to the satisfaction of a 15 inch with a compression driver. Its really difficult to tell what material sound better on which system but no doubt when playing live recordings or techno the 15 inchers shine.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Can you provide a link?

I think it was this one?

you might prefer downloading Bob Katz's recording(s) of a Space SHuttle launch (have to register though)

Calleberg

Daniel, theese are the foundation of a great two way "horn" speaker. Top them off with a CD horn of decent quality and you are GOLDEN!

Top Bottom