• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

compound effects of connectors and cables throughout stack?

sonder

After digging in to variations of a new amp and looking at interconnects used by different makers, I'm left wondering about the compounding effects of both consistent connectors + wiring between devices to speakers, and mixed.

Considering in my stack and ignoring the XLR route for now, I'll have:
- dac out (rca connectors and sockets either side, wires)
- passive amp (rca connectors and sockets either side, wires)
- power amp
- speakers (connectors and sockets either side, wires)

That's 30 moving parts here over two channels, each one can be silver, gold, pure copper, rhodium, then there can be mixing and matching between.

So, is it better to keep everything consistent if deviating one, extreme example rhodium rca sockets on power amp -> swap everything else? / not swapping everything else = nullified benefits?

Do the effects of each compound, e.g. silver plated wires and connectors/sockets throughout and entire system is much brighter than just having at one level?

I'd brushed the subject off as noise, but after counting up a simple setup having 30 variable parts here in the flow of analogue signal, I figured it was worth asking for pointers or canonical answers.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only big concern with cables is at the speaker end, where you need sufficient gauge and good connections. I insist on using ring terminals with copper crush washers, and binding posts that can be wrenched. Another option is Speakons.

The big problem with RCA isn't the connector itself, it's the single-ended signal transmission.

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
An audio signal does not get better as it travels through a system, each component adds some amount of distortion.
The difference in signal degradation between a silver plated interconnect and a basic copper interconnect is minimal, if at all and very likely not audible.

I personally make most of my interconnects, but also use Amazon basics and the Monoprice mid-range products as well.
While it's visually appealing to have consistent connectors throughout your system, it offers no audible benefit.

Last edited:

RandomEar

If you ask yourself: "What would be the best cable / interconnect material to use?", just look what the experts chose in the most sensitive instruments on the planet. There's no rhodium or silver, no magic and no religion. Only chromed copper and some gold-coatings for specific RF-plugs and plain copper for the cables. That's it. There is no magic combination, no philosophy to chosing a material - just good engineering.

Get decent quality shielded RCA and XLR cables and 4 mm² pure copper conductors for your speaker cables. Below 10 m cable length, 2,5 mm² will probably work just as well, but I would get 4 mm² anyway because why not. You can debate what connector to choose, but in the end, it's mostly a question of taste, ease of use and reliabilty. You're extremely unlikely to hear a difference between a SpeakOn connector and cheap banana plugs, as long as both are in working order. You will never hear a difference between different coatings (gold, rhodium, whatever) on the same type of connector.

Also, connectors or cables don't add noise to a signal by themselves. Only active components do. Cables can potentially act as antennas and pick up other electromagnetic signals, but that is what shielding is for.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As others have said, there isn't much/any of a compounding effect on sound quality, because there isn't much of an effect to begin with.

The exception would be if you have extreme RFI that's actually being picked up by long cable runs, in which case shielding would be something to consider, but this is rare for home listening AFAIK.

Mainly you want connectors that won't oxidize, and that will stay in place, won't look terrible, and won't make a rat's nest. So gold-plated terminals with sturdy connectors is a good idea, but copper is A-OK for the rest of the cables themselves. IMO you are best off if you get decent-quality (meaning - thicker gague from Amazon or Monoprice or whatever, not the fancy stuff) cables that are all the correct (minimum) length.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
An audio signal does not get better as it travels through a system, each component adds some amount of distortion.
While poorly chosen interconnect cables might add noise or interference, they will not add distortion.
And while poorly chosen speaker cables might change the frequency response of some speakers, they too will not add distortion.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
While poorly chosen interconnect cables might add noise or interference, they will not add distortion.
And while poorly chosen speaker cables might change the frequency response of some speakers, they too will not add distortion.
I consider interference, noise or altered frequency response as forms of signal distortion.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll quibble to the extent that bad connections on speaker cables can be non-linear and add distortion.

FrankW

Do the effects of each compound, e.g. silver plated wires and connectors/sockets throughout and entire system is much brighter than just having at one level?
Yes for audiophiles, No for normal people who haven't read and believed in a lot of nonsense.

OP
S

sonder

If you ask yourself: "What would be the best cable / interconnect material to use?", just look what the experts chose in the most sensitive instruments on the planet. There's no rhodium or silver, no magic and no religion. Only chromed copper and some gold-coatings for specific RF-plugs and plain copper for the cables. That's it. There is no magic combination, no philosophy to chosing a material - just good engineering.

Get decent quality shielded RCA and XLR cables and 4 mm² pure copper conductors for your speaker cables. Below 10 m cable length, 2,5 mm² will probably work just as well, but I would get 4 mm² anyway because why not. You can debate what connector to choose, but in the end, it's mostly a question of taste, ease of use and reliabilty. You're extremely unlikely to hear a difference between a SpeakOn connector and cheap banana plugs, as long as both are in working order. You will never hear a difference between different coatings (gold, rhodium, whatever) on the same type of connector.

Also, connectors or cables don't add noise to a signal by themselves. Only active components do. Cables can potentially act as antennas and pick up other electromagnetic signals, but that is what shielding is for.

short, thick, and well connected - sounds like a few people I know

thanks for all the responses guys, it's what I thought and have (thick copper, short lengths, tight non corroding connections), but it's good to get some confirmation after exploring.

OP
S

sonder

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
and a special thanks for the link, I've got to trust the guy who made my (in the mail) amp!
Bruno knows his stuff.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That's like saying Usain Bolt is a pretty fast dude. :D

Pretty and fast.

RTX2KUAJ.jpeg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bruno also writes nice explanatory articles, which is an artform in itself. Very straightforward, the sign of an orderly understanding.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bruno also writes nice explanatory articles, which is an artform in itself. Very straightforward, the sign of an orderly understanding.
They say if you can't explain something to a layperson, you don't really understand it yourself. As far as that goes, he definitely understands quite a bit.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
I consider interference, noise or altered frequency response as forms of signal distortion.
Yes ~ altered frequency response is a form of signal distortion.
But ~ noise and interference can exist regardless of signal or lack of signal.
That is to say, distortion must be part of the signal or caused by the signal.

raif71

Major Contributor
This is my attempt to re-use the Topping E30 and my other audio gadgets that was unused but now in use as a transportable audio gear. The main gears are :
1682337477232.png

and a plethora of rubber bands, wires and blue tack... becomes this:

1682337678026.png

The power bank obviously power the Topping E30

Top Bottom