• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Completely Not ASR Normal Topic: Email Spam

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I did not know these emails were still being sent. I suspect many of you have received emails such as the following (and, heck, maybe even received this exact one):

Re: Next of kin

Your name and contact email was found in late Customer (Mr. Jack Farrar Powell) account file being his survived next of kin, although deceased already paid for all Tax or Expense that covered the release of this US$35.8M (Thirty-Five Million, Eight Hundred Thousand United State Dollars) to you next of kin before demised.

Your Name and Payment details withheld until you respond with information listed below, confirming you are the same person (Relative/Business Associate) whose name and email found in deceased account file being next of kin for immediate payment

1) Your Full Name and Address.

2) Your Telephone, Mobile, Office & Home Number.

3) The Copy of Your Passport or Driver’s License (need for identification).

Although deceased attorney who supposed to reach you for this payment died one month after the death of his client (Powell). The Payment Ministry instructed me (DECEASED ACCOUNT OFFICER) to contact you on this same email which deceased indicated to reach you or his next of kin, based on report of the CITIBANK, that you deceased next of kin is dead.

Then respond immediately, IF YOU ARE STILL ALIVE to enable the above funds released to you free without any question

I was the Chief Accountant to the deceased. I will give you details as it’s concerned the release of your fund before submitting your information to Citibank and Ministry of finance for payment.

Regards,

Mr. Patrick Nomo, (Chief Accountant to Deceased).

Accra Ghana,West Africa.

I love the coincidence that the decedent's attorney who was tasked with reaching out to me died one month after the decedent.

I also love the instruction to respond immediately IF I'M STILL ALIVE. I'm not sure what it is I'm supposed to do if I'm not still alive. Putting aside the fact I wouldn't be reading the email at all if I wasn't still alive, my take away is that if I am not still alive it remains OK if I don't respond immediately but instead respond a few days or so later. Who knew email scam artists could exist in the realm of the metaphysical !

BTW, this email was not sent to my personal email but instead it was sent to my law office email. No thought going on there on the part of the sender.

I'm tempted to respond, of course not with any legit info, but something else just to see how enjoyable their next email might be. (Of course, if three people dressed in black wearing dark sunglasses knock on my front door, I might regret my decision to play.)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
A really good talk:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I did not know these emails were still being sent. I suspect many of you have received emails such as the following (and, heck, maybe even received this exact one):
Haven't be getting any emails along those lines unless gmail is sticking them in Spam and I haven't seen them.
But the ridiculous phone calls asking for personal info due to "my SSI account being frozen or they want to lower my CC interest rates" have jumped up a lot lately. I just laugh to myself and hang up but do worry about some of the seniors that get suckered in. I get 1 or 2 questions a week from people in my senior community "Sal, I got this email or call from --- asking for ---, what do you think?" :facepalm:

OP
Ron Party

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I've heard from two attorneys who are members of my local trial attorney's association who advised each received the same email today. So, I was thinking of responding with words to the effect of: "I wanted to ask you something. My friends John and Steve got the exact same email from you today, word for word. I didn't know he was related to me! Man, Jack Farrar Powell must have been truly wealthy to not only leave me $35.8 million but John and Steve as well! How is it that none of us knew one another?"

@Don, I love this line in the video:

The business is on. I am trying to raise the balance for the Gummy Bear so he can submit all the needed Fizzy Cola Bottle Jelly Beans to the Creme Egg for the Peanut M&Ms process to start. Send £1 ,500.00 via a Giant Gummy Lizard.

mansr

Major Contributor
Haven't be getting any emails along those lines unless gmail is sticking them in Spam and I haven't seen them.
But the ridiculous phone calls asking for personal info due to "my SSI account being frozen or they want to lower my CC interest rates" have jumped up a lot lately. I just laugh to myself and hang up but do worry about some of the seniors that get suckered in. I get 1 or 2 questions a week from people in my senior community "Sal, I got this email or call from --- asking for ---, what do you think?" :facepalm:
The Google spam filtering for incoming calls in Android works wonders. On my "land line" any caller is notified that the call is being recorded. That seems to deter the scammers, or maybe they stopped calling for some other reason.

Top Bottom