• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Complementary pair to my DT880

BaRanchik

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a complementary pair for my DT880 250Ohm. They are my main pair currently (other pairs are not on par so I'll just ignore them),
mostly used for gaming, and frequent music listening sessions. I'll probably make these my gaming-only pair when I get a new one for music.
Not all recommendations will be available here, as I'm not from the US/EU, but I'll check all the options.

I mostly listen to pop, electronic, 70/80s rock, orchestral and movies/games soundtracks.
DT880 purpose will be gaming and instrumental music, or anything else that benefits the wider soundstage.
New pair will be used for music only, mostly female vocals.

Both will be powered by a Schiit stack.
Ideally, budget will be 500$ at most, but value is critical.

What I enjoy about the DT880:
  • Clarity and details
  • Soundstage and imaging
  • Their brightness for modern music
  • Instrument presentation
What I'd like to get from the new pair:
  • Same amount of details or better
  • Intimate soundstage
  • Imaging on par or better (though lower priority)
  • Not bright (or at least, significantly less bright)
  • Better vocal presentation
  • Oval shaped cups (the tips of my ears touch the padding of the 880, which is somewhat annoying after a while of use).
I've been looking at: HD660S, HD6XX, Hifiman Sundara, HD560S.

Hifiman Sundara: although it's not narrow, maybe the planar approach will give a different feel to it?

HD560S: said to be more open, based on what I've read. If that's correct, I'd rather get something more intimate.

HD660S: I've read many reviews saying the pricing on the 660S might not be worth it, considering it competes with the DT1990, and is not a great improvement over the other
Senns 6??-series, so I'm not sure about it as well.

HD6XX: So far I think these might be what I'm looking for, although I might be missing more pairs to take into account.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
My first thought reading the wish list was senny 560s. Been considering them myself.
Edit: welcome to ASR

Bob-23

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a complementary pair for my DT880 250Ohm. They are my main pair currently (other pairs are not on par so I'll just ignore them),
mostly used for gaming, and frequent music listening sessions. I'll probably make these my gaming-only pair when I get a new one for music.
Not all recommendations will be available here, as I'm not from the US/EU, but I'll check all the options.

I mostly listen to pop, electronic, 70/80s rock, orchestral and movies/games soundtracks.
DT880 purpose will be gaming and instrumental music, or anything else that benefits the wider soundstage.
New pair will be used for music only, mostly female vocals.

Both will be powered by a Schiit stack.
Ideally, budget will be 500$ at most, but value is critical.

What I enjoy about the DT880:
  • Clarity and details
  • Soundstage and imaging
  • Their brightness for modern music
  • Instrument presentation
What I'd like to get from the new pair:
  • Same amount of details or better
  • Intimate soundstage
  • Imaging on par or better (though lower priority)
  • Not bright (or at least, significantly less bright)
  • Better vocal presentation
  • Oval shaped cups (the tips of my ears touch the padding of the 880, which is somewhat annoying after a while of use).
I've been looking at: HD660S, HD6XX, Hifiman Sundara, HD560S.

Hifiman Sundara: although it's not narrow, maybe the planar approach will give a different feel to it?

HD560S: said to be more open, based on what I've read. If that's correct, I'd rather get something more intimate.

HD660S: I've read many reviews saying the pricing on the 660S might not be worth it, considering it competes with the DT1990, and is not a great improvement over the other
Senns 6??-series, so I'm not sure about it as well.

HD6XX: So far I think these might be what I'm looking for, although I might be missing more pairs to take into account.
Welcome! That sounds like HD600, e.g., if you mean by 'intimate sound stage' 'relatively narrow'. Great vocals and midrange. Oval earcups. I eq the highs slightely down & bass a bit up. 560s' sound stage is supposed to be much wider.

Top Bottom