• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Competition for Danley’s Hyperion

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just pondering which speakers would be the direct competitor for the new Danleys, thinking in terms of sound quality rather than graphene coating , diamond tweeters etc,
Genrlec 8361 and W371a’s
Kii Three/BXT
JBL M2
Hedd Main Towers
Gen 1036 ( big ones)
What else, Revel Salons
Thanks in advance,
Keith

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Just pondering which speakers would be the direct competitor for the new Danleys, thinking in terms of sound quality rather than graphene coating , diamond tweeters etc,
Genrlec 8361 and W371a’s
Kii Three/BXT
JBL M2
Hedd Main Towers
Gen 1036 ( big ones)
What else, Fevel Salons
Thanks in advance,
Keith

You should answer best?!

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Reading the thread topic I was thinking more like "solve this Wordle puzzle to win a pair".
Sorry I can probably get you a T-shirt.
Keith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So what would be the criteria to get on this illustrious list?

Anyway, the name Hyperion always reminds me of the book Hyperion by Dan Simmons
1644688935916.jpeg

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Really just a ‘what would people pay for these compared to the competition’ question.
Keith

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Genrlec 8361 and W371a’s
Kii Three/BXT
JBL M2
Hedd Main Towers
Gen 1036 ( big ones)
What else, Revel Salons
Thanks in advance,
Keith

No idea about the relative differences in sound quality... however, I'd personally want to acquire the Hyperion the most -- if I actually had another listening room and funds -- over everything else on that list.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We don't know anything about price or performance of these things, so how would we know? In my eyes the competitors will be the high output ones, like the M2 or Genelec 1236A. Both of these have some issues with directivity far off-axis that can certainly be improved upon, so it'll be interesting to see how the Hyperion performs.

I have given up on pre-hyping anything so I will wait to assume too much before I see actual measurements of the speakers.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Of course, we should not assume it’s gonna automatically perform be better than any of the others…

But also perhaps it makes more sense to compare or pick something more similar in design to the Hyperion... like another active DSP’d multi-entry horn — they seem like a rare breed. For example, why even bother with a Revel Salon… the concept in that design is completely different.

While we don’t have the spin for the new Danley speaker, yet, the design is sound.

I do care about measurements, but I’m not gonna wait for Amir or Erin to measure something for every single buying or “liking” or preference decision — esp. if I can audition the speakers in-person, and am free to take my own (admittedly, flawed) measurements to boot. A good portion of this hobby for me is about personal taste, objective metrics aside.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It would be great to compare 8361/w371 M2s and Danleys I have heard them all but not in the same room at the same time.
Tried to download the RAM Audio software but it looks like Windows only, have to wait until laptop return.
Keith

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Just pondering which speakers would be the direct competitor for the new Danleys, thinking in terms of sound quality rather than graphene coating , diamond tweeters etc...

Maybe the JBL M2 and PBN M2!5.

MenloBob

Appears to be still passive in design and less bass extension, but way, way more aesthetically pleasing M2 look-alike(s). I like it!
Those are the real deal M2 horns on the PBN, but he won't disclose where they come from. Read into that what you will.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Those are the real deal M2 horns on the PBN, but he won't disclose where they come from. Read into that what you will.

Once upon a time I asked permission from a big company to use one of their proprietary parts in one of my products. Permission denied.

My guess is that Peter has conditional permission, and that he is complying with those conditions. And I would not put him on the spot by asking him directly.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reflector Audio

Multiple entry horn too but a bit more of a rounded profile that may be favourable for home listening.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Reflector Audio

Multiple entry horn too but a bit more of a rounded profile that may be favourable for home listening.
It's not quite the same. The woofers are only added near the mouth of the horn, while Danley has the entry points close to the throat (and in the case of the Hyperion, it's even a coaxial that takes care of this, with 3rd way a bit higher up the horn). That is a profound difference and significantly harder to design and get right.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not quite the same. The woofers are only added near the mouth of the horn, while Danley has the entry points close to the throat (and in the case of the Hyperion, it's even a coaxial that takes care of this, with 3rd way a bit higher up the horn). That is a profound difference and significantly harder to design and get right.

That's a fair point, the focus on keeping CtC very tight and within quarter wavelength defines the Synergy in Hyperion. But their relatively sharp edged profile compared to the roundovers in the Reflector worries me

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But their relatively sharp edged profile compared to the roundovers in the Reflector worries me
I think that difference is mainly due to the size contrast. I'd be worried about those large openings in the horn.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Reflector Audio

Similar, but again, doesn't extend as deep as the Hyperion -- on the other hand, that may actually be not such a bad thing at all as sub placement oftentimes require different position to get better results in many rooms -- if one is prepared to deal with bass-management. It also has the advantage of not looking like a refrigerator appliance. ;) Though there is something a little funny going on with that abrupt change in it's phase response around the crossover -- just a slight imperfection... but probably not anything to worry about.

Top Bottom