• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comparison of DRCs: Dirac Live for Studio, IK Multimedia ARC System 3 and Sonarworks Reference 4 Studio edition

landco

Can I use umik-1 as the IK Multimedia ARC System 3 test microphone? Because I only have the umik-1 test microphone, without an external sound card.
I think no. USB microphones have limitations, they will not work with some programs, for example, Sonarworks

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you connect and operate? My equipment includes umik-1-pc-smsl d-6-jBL305p. Can you guide me to test this system with IK Multimedia ARC System 3?

The process is described here:

Note the microphone selection at 0:35, you also have to select something like 'USB' as the microphone channel on the next screen.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I haven't used ARC3 for over a year as a I found the measurement process overly laborious. I use REW to take measurements (moving microphone method) and calculate corrections and them apply systemwide PEQ with eAPO/PEACE.

sunnyboy

此处描述了该过程:

请注意 0:35 时的麦克风选择,您还必须在下一个屏幕上选择“USB”之类的东西作为麦克风通道。

抱歉,我不能更具体,我已经一年多没有使用 ARC3,因为我发现测量过程过于费力。我使用 REW 进行测量(移动麦克风方法)并计算校正,然后他们使用 eAPO/PEACE 应用系统范围的 PEQ。
Thank you.

czt

Yes, UMIK-1 works with both ik arc 3 and sonarworks (through asio eg. FlexASIO). But arc 3 is pointless because the loaded calibration file not used.

czt

Don't be fooled, USB mics DO NOT work with sonarworks
Are you a fool? USB mics do work with sonarworks, despite what they claim. I use it with one (UMIK-1 through FlexASIO as I wrote).
1667580298020.png
1667580177108.png

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you a fool? USB mics do work with sonarworks, despite what they claim. I use it with one (UMIK-1 through FlexASIO as I wrote).
View attachment 241137View attachment 241136

I believe he's referring to this; as to how much it impacts the measurements, I haven't a clue.

czt

I believe he's referring to this; as to how much it impacts the measurements, I haven't a clue.

Yes, I met with this statement, but since sonarworks doesn't do anything with phase... (and measurements precisely correlate between sonarworks and REW).

Davide

Yes, I met with this statement, but since sonarworks doesn't do anything with phase... (and measurements precisely correlate between sonarworks and REW).
As far as I know it does not make time domain corrections, but uses stereo imaging to precisely locate the microphone during measurements.
I don't know why but they use this technique, so a clock drift could lead to inaccurate mapping.
Then if there are real differences in practice I do not know ... but the reason should be that.

czt

As far as I know it does not make time domain corrections, but uses stereo imaging to precisely locate the microphone during measurements.
I don't know why but they use this technique, so a clock drift could lead to inaccurate mapping.
Then if there are real differences in practice I do not know ... but the reason should be that.
Mapping is as accurate as possible from measuring the distance between the speakers and MLP to the actual measurement points.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, UMIK-1 works with both ik arc 3 and sonarworks (through asio eg. FlexASIO). But arc 3 is pointless because the loaded calibration file not used.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I was more concerned with taking 27 measurements consistently and repeatably. This was a chore, even with a mic stand marked for the 3 horizonal planes and tape on the floor marking the 9 measurement points for each plane. I'm getting good results with MMM and REW in a fraction of the time and I don't have the additional complication of getting and keeping the VST working with eAPO.

Last edited:

czt

I know... not mmm, just 1/6 smoothing, etc. Before, and an older Sonarworks (Listening Spot: on, Limit Controls LF/HF: neutral) with the new (awesome) official foobar2000 VST Adapter, nearfield mlp. single sweep. (Just my remark: Sw's "sound" is not bad at all, and their measurement seems very consistent and repeatable.)

1673780102084.png
1673780269232.png
1673780464082.png
1673780971663.png
1673780990636.png

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1679895114019.png

IK Multimedia ARC System 3≈Audyssey MultEQ XT32
I didn't read it wrong, did I?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 275084

IK Multimedia ARC System 3≈Audyssey MultEQ XT32
I didn't read it wrong, did I?

It may be an error. There's no mention of Audyssey on IK Multimedia's product page: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/arc3/index.php?p=specs

1679904962418.png

Davide

Version 2 employed Audyssey technology from what I recall. Either it's a typo or they stayed on that tech...

Top Bottom