• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comparison of DRCs: Dirac Live for Studio, IK Multimedia ARC System 3 and Sonarworks Reference 4 Studio edition

ai studio

Hi I have ARC 3
with the original microphone for calibration
I bought the total package

I've had it for about two years.

I wanted to ask if anyone feels that it increases the high frequencies a little too much?

I have HD 650 headphones
And when I listen to monitors with ARC 3 together

It feels like the high frequencies are more open and less natural

And maybe it can be confusing in the mix if you want more high frequencies
And you are there less because of it.

But that's just a guess...
Maybe the problem is in my room.

ai studio

Attachments

• testt.png
    testt.png
    468.9 KB · Views: 120
  • arc.jpg
    arc.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 113

czt

I did a test if the microphone of the ARC 3
in REW
I have attached the comparison between the results in the pictures.
You have to work on the level calibration of the microphone (and REW scales e.g. "50 dB/decade" in "Capture"), etc. But without a calibration file, we don't know if the REW measurement with the MEMS microphone is accurate.

As an example I will shortly (after subwoofer warm-up) post my raw, uncorrected and ARC3 corrected (sans calibration, because the loaded generic mic calibration file ignored by the analysis) frequency response.

ai studio

Ok, thanks for the answer, but it is possible to export the calibration file From ARC 3.? Because I didn't see an option in the software, this is a file that only supports ARC. Thanks
You have to work on the level calibration of the microphone (and REW scales e.g. "50 dB/decade" in "Capture"), etc. But without a calibration file, we don't know if the REW measurement with the MEMS microphone is accurate.

As an example I will shortly (after subwoofer warm-up) post my raw, uncorrected and ARC3 corrected (sans calibration, because the loaded generic mic calibration file ignored by the analysis) frequency response.

czt

So, in the .mdat the measurement with the description "1" (and without notes) is the saved REW sweep with timing ref. (e.g. "256kMeasSweep_0_to_20000_-12_dBFS_48k_PCM24_L_refL.wav") played back in your DAW with (only) ARC3 ON, and recorded in REW through the MEMS mic? High is indeed too much, if this is the reality.

1680536015937.png

Can you borrow another measurement mic, so we get some reference? Recalibration not helped? What's your monitors?

Last edited:

ai studio

So, in the .mdat the measurement with the description "1" (and without notes) is the saved REW sweep with timing ref. (e.g. "256kMeasSweep_0_to_20000_-12_dBFS_48k_PCM24_L_refL.wav") played back in your DAW with (only) ARC3 ON, and recorded in REW through the MEMS mic? High is indeed too much, if this is the reality.

View attachment 276858
Can you borrow another measurement mic, so we get some reference? Recalibration not helped? What's your monitors?
hi thanks , my monitor - kali audio in 8 v2

ai studio

View attachment 276858
This is a clean recording
without arc
in the background

czt

But we want to measure the applied ARC3 correction (with the playback of the saved REW sweep with time ref. from your DAW) to determine whether the corrected frequency response contains too much much high (as you hear) or not (if we assume that the MEMS mic is pretty linear without a calibration file).

ai studio

Oh ok yes I understand
So I will do a test together with arc
But how can I make them hear through ARC while I measure in REW?
I did not see an option in the REW software to enable the audio through ARC for the measurement.

Last edited:

czt

Everything explained in the previously mentioned help section(s).
  1. Save the measurement sweep .wav file(s) (from REW "Generator" with "Timing Ref").
  2. REW waiting with the previous .wav loaded ("Measurement", "From file", "Start").
  3. Play the same .wav in your DAW with ARC3 correction.
  4. REW detects the timing ref. signal, and makes the measurement.

ai studio

Oh ok yes I understand
So I will do a test together with arc

Everything explained in the previously mentioned help section(s).
  1. Save the measurement sweep .wav file(s) (from REW "Generator" with "Timing Ref").
  2. REW waiting with the previous .wav loaded ("Measurement", "From file", "Start").
  3. Play the same .wav in your DAW with ARC3 correction.
  4. REW detects the timing ref. signal, and makes the measurement.
Hi, thanks for the answer

Maybe there is a video that explains how to do it?

Thanks

landco

Because of this, most of the result sounded over-processed to me and I couldn't really find any that sounded close to what I thought was natural (and which I could get with the other two).
The sound you think is natural is actually the sound you are used to. "Usual" and "natural" are not the same thing.

D

Deleted member 48726

The sound you think is natural is actually the sound you are used to. "Usual" and "natural" are not the same thing.
This is not meant to provoke. But how do you know that usual and natural are different to @dominikz ?

You can of course be aware of EQ that's not natural (natural must mean flat) because EQ is up to taste but acknowledge that it isn't flat but tuned to taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom