• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comparison between he400i vs he400se ver 2020: a beginner's impression

TurbulentCalm

Someone needs to provide a comparison of the two versions. I’m very, very happy with the sound of my original ‘China only’ set, even though I’m not in China.

Given the price of these headphones, their quality build and sound, they appear to be an absolute steal for anyone wishing to dabble in the world of Planner Magnetics.

I’d also like to get some clarity on the warranty status of the original HE400SE as well. Though considering how well built these headphones are, I’m hoping I’ll never need to get them repaired.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Teardown of double-sided HE400se - direct from China to UK?

Anyone have a teardown of the US version 'stealth' for comparison?

Could 'earlier- description of 'International' having single-sided magnets been in error?? Current HIFiman 'International' description pictures double-sided.. No mention of single-sided (that I saw)..

Last edited:

pk500

OK, it's no secret by now I love the HE-400se International version headphones. But the stock cable is janky as f*ck. Does anyone know any good replacements? Thanks.

TurbulentCalm

Teardown of double-sided HE400se - direct from China to UK?

Anyone have a teardown of the US version 'stealth' for comparison?

Could 'earlier- description of 'International' having single-sided magnets been in error?? Current HIFiman 'International' description pictures double-sided.. No mention of single-sided (that I saw)..

This is a tear down of the international version. You can tell because it has the ‘Stealth Magnets’ sticker. My set doesn’t have that sticker. Also, it comes with that janky silver braided cable, yuk! Mine came with a soft, silicon like, black cable, which, in my opinion, looks and feels quite much better.

This tear down also demonstrates that the International version has double sided magnets, but for the life of me I can’t see any major rounding of the magnets that would make them stealthy. And going by the silver colour of the magnets they are different to the dark coloured magnets in my ‘Original’ pair.

mslim

You can see the beveling at the edge of the magnets. The magnets for this international version is apparently a cheaper Fe magnetic, not the more expensive Neodymium type (I think).

So far no proper measurements yet and it is very confusing the way Hifiman has named it with some China, European and international versions all under the series 400 moniker. Perhaps they're all tuned very similarly.

pk500

Besides advice for replacement for the janky cable, what would be a good budget DAC/amp stack for the 400se International edition? JDS Labs Atom? Schiit Magni-Modi? I'm looking to stay in that $200-250 USD sweet spot, and I know every DAC/amp has different sound characteristics.

Thanks! These headphones sound so good $150 it's scary.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
what would be a good budget DAC/amp stack

Unless you will be providing software PEQ/EqualizerAPO upstream, here is what will likely be a bit controversial recommendation: Qudelix 5k for the DAC -:and PEQ. $110. Atom, Heresy etc $100 amp following it.

Yes, Amir dissed Q DAC performance. But I suggest you will find it will work perfectly well. Low noise, and THD is still 90db down. I use one usb otg with my HE400i (2016) and Amir's PEQ. Sounds great, imo..:)

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/qudelix-5k-bluetooth-dac-headphone-amp.17386/

EDIT: You 'could' - with a Balanced cable - try just using the Qudelix native amp first - before buying Heresy etc - to see if it might be acceptable to you. It is for me and the HE400i. But you will spend $40 and upwards for a Balanced cable unless you DIY..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WMPNFS8/

This adapter let's you use your balanced cable with the $100 3.5mm unbalanced amp:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FN267W/

(You can go 2.5mm balanced female to 3.5mm unbalanced male - but not the other way around)

Last edited:

pk500

Unless you will be providing software PEQ/EqualizerAPO upstream, here is what will likely be a bit controversial recommendation: Qudelix 5k for the DAC -:and PEQ. $110. Atom, Heresy etc $100 amp following it.

Yes, Amir dissed Q DAC performance. But I suggest you will find it will work perfectly well. Low noise, and THD is still 90db down. I use one usb otg with my HE400i (2016) and Amir's PEQ. Sounds great, imo..:)

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/qudelix-5k-bluetooth-dac-headphone-amp.17386/

EDIT: You 'could' - with a Balanced cable - try just using the Qudelix native amp first - before buying Heresy etc - to see if it might be acceptable to you. It is for me and the HE400i. But you will spend $40 and upwards for a Balanced cable unless you DIY..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WMPNFS8/

This adapter let's you use your balanced cable with the $100 3.5mm unbalanced amp:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FN267W/

(You can go 2.5mm balanced female to 3.5mm unbalanced male - but not the other way around)

Thanks. The Qudelix has been on my radar for a while as a portable solution, but I went with a TempoTec Sonata HD Pro as a cheaper solution when the Qudelix was out of stock -- impatient! -- and I've been happy with it so far, despite a few quirks.

I'll definitely consider the Qudelix. Thanks.

Pesky Bee

Is there any difference sound-wise between the international´s and china´s version?

pk500

Is there any difference sound-wise between the international´s and china´s version?

No clue. Sorry. I've never heard the Chinese edition. I only own the International edition.

sulfuriq

I'm using HE400SE International Version with Lotoo PAW S1 and 4.4mm balanced cable (Earmax). They sound pretty awesome.

ASR REEZY

I reached out to a user on eBay and he has the China version. I purchased. Thinking about taking one for the team and also purchasing the Stealth Magnet version. I'm not a huge audiophile but would love to see if there are any differences, and I could always sell the one I don't like.

pk500

I bought an iFi Hip-DAC to hopefully get more power and fidelity for my 400se International versions than what my TempoTec Sonata HD Pro can provide, and without having to use the adapter technique to "trick" the Sonata HD Pro into high-gain mode.

Happy to say the Hip-DAC has much more power than the Sonata HD Pro, and the slightly warm sound of the Burr-Brown chip of the Hip-DAC works perfectly for me and the 400se Internationals. It works pretty well with my Sennheiser HD 560s and Meze 99 Classics, but it's such an ideal match to my ears for the 400se International that I'm seriously considering selling my 99 Classics and HD 560s and just going with the 400se Internationals for over-ear cans and my Moondrop Starfields for IEMS.

The 400se International and hip-DAC combination is that good for me right now. Really stoked.

pk500

Need objective measurements!

Yeah, that would be cool.

I may not be the ultimate discerning, scientific-based audiophile on Earth, but I also am not a dude who thinks Beats and Raycons are the end game of audio. :) And my ears and brain like what they hear so far.

ASR REEZY

Both editions should be here tomorrow, I'm going to probably sit with them a few days before giving impressions

ASR REEZY

Submitted my impressions here. Note this is just from a brief time with them, I will be selling them, and it's not because I'm disappointed, but I recently overspent and need the money haha.

TL;DR: China version is ever so slightly to my presence but they're both VERY similar, enough to where you won't be disappointed with either of them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/mrt63h

Top Bottom