• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comparison between AEON 2 Closed and Senheiser HD600

nycarrival

Hello,

I am not really well educated on headphones however I am looking for that one set that will "fit all". I am between AEON 2 closed and a Senheiser HD600. Why? Because I bought an AEON 2 closed but think that it is just too much for me and consider selling and getting cheaper Senheiser HD600.

Thanks in advance!

OP
N

nycarrival

My ears are not educated and (I know this sounds very bad) I cannot really hear the difference from one set to another. I thought I can save some good 300-400 pounds by going with Senheiser HD600

jae

Major Contributor
1663585346786.png

How much are you paying for each? HD6XX (aka HD650) is comparable to HD600 and its $219+shipping from Drop. So if you cannot tell the difference from these probably not worth the cost of a brand new Aeon 2. There are not massive differences but there is still a difference. Aeon 2 is a closed headphone, so you have more privacy and less sound leakage, which may be an advantage to you. It also attenuates more sound from the outside environment, same as the last point you have to determine if this matters for you. Aeon 2 has less distortion. Closed headphones also tend to have more bass, which is harder to do well on an open headphone like the 600/650. I can say a lot about these headphones but to put it simply, out of the box the Aeon2 will have more/"better" bass however the 600/650 treble is going to be more accurate for most people and easy to listen to for long periods of time. If you are willing and able to use EQ, all of these headphones perform pretty well: to some degree you can fix the bass levels of the 600/650 and the 2-5k region on the Aeon2.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My ears are not educated and (I know this sounds very bad) I cannot really hear the difference from one set to another. I thought I can save some good 300-400 pounds by going with Senheiser HD600

HD600 sounds bass-light and bright compared to AEON2 closed (provided the AEON2 seals well).
Even uneducated listeners will hear this.

AEON2 will play 5dB louder (this is audible but not twice as loud) compared to HD600 when driven from a phone.

When you want to play loud now and then the DCA requires a headphone amp that can provide a lot of current and the amp needs to be able to drive 1W into 13 ohm loads.
When you want to play loud now and then the HD600 requires a headphone amp that can provide a higher than usual voltage and the amp needs to be able to drive 300 ohm loads to at least 100mW.

So when making the choice it is important to know what you plan to use a headphone with.

Why not consider HD560S, easier to drive, lighter in weight, comfortable and good sound quality.

Last edited:
OP
N

nycarrival

When I bought the DC Aeon2 I thought I could get a pair with leather as opposed to the Senheiser HD600. I think it will feel better with leather. Now it comes the customer remorse and I thought that the Senheiser HD600 worth £310 can do better than the Aeon2 which is $899. I could potentially get the new Topping DX7 Pro for the difference. Unless keeping the DC Aeon2 and get the Topping DX7 Pro?

In short, I am after that ideal set that I will keep for long.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In short, I am after that ideal set that I will keep for long.

Aren't we all... :)

That would be a personal matter.
connectivity, size, price, looks, functionality, comfort, usability (outdoor, indoor), from a phone or medium priced gear, willing to EQ or not.

There are so many preferences that one can say there is no single ideal setup. There can be many for everyone.

With headphones it is a matter of comfort and usability as well as tonal preference. That should take the biggest chunk out of the budget.
It already has. When you like the comfort and sound and you already bought the DCA AEON 2 closed you are fine.
Depending on what it takes to 'drive' the headphone(s) of choice buy something that can easily drive the headphone(s).
Then look for a music source/player/DAC with the functionality you want.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@nycarrival which ear pads are you using with your Aeon 2 Closed? Perforated (left) or standard (right)?
202004_danclark_cups-1.jpeg

OP
N

nycarrival

I do not know - I have not opened the box to keep its value if I decided to sell. Does it matter - standard or perforated?

OP
N

nycarrival

I think I will simply sell my AEON2 pair and buy some cheap set. For someone who cannot hear any difference between any sets it is not worth. Thanks for your replies!

asrUser

I am not really well educated on headphones however I am looking for that one set that will "fit all". I am between AEON 2 closed and a Senheiser HD600. Why? Because I bought an AEON 2 closed but think that it is just too much for me and consider selling and getting cheaper Senheiser HD600.
So you bought the Aeon 2 Closed and missed the chance to return them? Now you didn't even open them and think they'll not sound like an endgame for you? Come on why did you even buy it in the first place? You'll never know until you try!

coptician

Well if you feel like your spending with the Aeon 2 is too much, then definitely return them. (if you can) These things are utter luxury objects, so it's all about how you feel about them.

If you want to experience a similar sound, consider picking op the Drop Closed X version. They'll be very similar in a lot of ways, but at around half the price.

I personally really like the Aeon 2 Noire, but that doesn't mean it's a good buy for you. In the end it's about what makes you happy.

OP
N

nycarrival

Yes, it appears people like the majority users in this forum are well educated about headphones and most importantly, their ears are educated too. I went ahead and bought something based on someone's recommendation and realized I can just use a pair in the £100-£200 range and simply plug it to my MacBook Pro. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Top Bottom