• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comparing a £5,500 Naim NDX 2 to a £300 Topping D30 pro

bpb

Firstly, I wanted to say a huge ‘thank you’ to the ASR community. Finding this forum has been hugely educational and has radically improved my understanding of HiFI technology and the industry.

I thought I’d briefly share my experience comparing a ‘high end’ DAC/streamer with a ‘budget’ DAC that measures well.

Perhaps like others with higher-end audio gear, I was somehow convinced that my NDX 2 must still be better than a £300 Topping, even if it measures well. There must be something else that makes the NDX 2 sound better? Surely!? It costs 18x more!

I bought the D30 pro to try it. If it wasn’t as good, that would be fine, I’d use it somewhere else.

In a very subjective, totally non-ASR compliant test, I simultaneously played the same tracks on both devices. I switched back and forth between each on different inputs, playing short 10-20 second sections.

To me, the Naim and Topping devices were almost identical. If anything, I felt the Topping was a little more detailed (5-10% max`), but I fully recognise this could easily be my bias for supporting the underdog. I am also nowhere near a trained listener.

I guess the point of posting this message is that if, like me, you think you’re high-end DAC is still somehow better, just try a high measuring DAC like a Topping. You might save yourself a ton of money!

I sold the NDX 2 the next day…. bought some Revel speakers instead and am in audio heaven :cool:

Thanks all again.

mathomas

I own a Naim Uniti Star that is currently off for service (screen died after a firmware update last fall :facepalm:). The bloom is quite off the rose on that front. I have no idea how long it will take to fix, but apparently the screens are back ordered. Along the way I’ve discovered that Naim is a pretty “tweaky” company, and has pretty dedicated fans, but I’m not loyal that way.

Anyway, in the Uniti Star’s absence I have put together a relatively low-cost, but I think high-performance, system featuring a Peachtree Nova150 (refurb from Peachtree), Topping EX5 DAC (based on good reviews of Topping here, and I was MQA curious, a Bluesound Node, and a set of practically NOS Thiel CS1.5s (long story how I ended up with these as part of the Naim story)). For whole house (I have a couple of Musos as well), I’ve been using Airplay 2. Not as nice as an in-unit distribution system, but it seems a bit more solid than Naim’s, TBH.

Anyway, I’m finally getting to the point — your post reminds me that I’m looking forward to putting the Naim back in if/when it ever comes back, and see if it brings back any ”magic”. I don’t expect any revelations one way or another, and my test will be as unscientific as yours. I half expect to think it “sounds worse” if only due to being soured at having to spend $140 to ship it to be fixed after two years of very gentle use.

Top Bottom