• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comparability with powered speakers

Franktfreo

Hi

I am a simple audio soul of 69 years on this earthly planet.

I have modest computer audio set up : Mac Pro - optical out to toslink in on my Lavry DA10 then xlr out to a pair of GENELEC G2 active speakers. My DAC is around 13 years old. Considering upgrading as presume technology has moved on since then with DACS.

I’ve been read stuff on this forum about the Topping D90 & the Soncoz SGD1 - would they be suitable for driving the GENELC’s?

F806AF9D-7488-4A1F-8F76-5036C43E736A.jpeg

linuxfan

Topping D90 & the Soncoz SGD1 - would they be suitable for driving the GENELEC’s?
Perfectly suitable.
Just be aware that although your Lavry DA10 provides unbalanced output via its XLR connectors by shorting pin3 to GND, this configuration is not how the D90 and SGD1 were designed. Such a connection might work, but it won't be optimal.
Your Genelec G Two's have unbalanced RCA inputs - make sure to connect these to the unbalanced RCA outputs of the D90 or SGD1.

I also warn that these two new DAC's might not necessarily sound better to your ears. I suggest you audition first, if you can.

Top Bottom