• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compact subwoofer to complement JBL 305P Mkii?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Specs for the 305P:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE (±3dB) 49Hz – 20kHz
FREQUENCY RANGE (-10dB) 43Hz – 24kHz
LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION (-10dB) 43Hz

My in-room response as per REW is below. I am surprised to see extension down to 40Hz and it looks like my room is actually giving it a bit of boost at 45Hz. I've already applied the filters in Roon and overall the bottom end is more controlled.

This is in my living room and I am thinking if a sub would help fill the gap below 40 Hz, but the subwoofer needs to be small and discrete. If it doesn't go flat all the way to 20, thats fine. Any suggestions? Is it even worth considering?

I found this, but not sure how good it is - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1177519-REG/genelec_7040apm_7040a_studio_subwoofer.html

Capture.PNG

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried a B&w asw300. The issue is the floor is floating and this is an old,creaky house so the vibrations were disconcerting. The sub is downward firing. I tried placing it on an auralex subdude base but didn’t help much.

Should I be looking at sealed designs.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Specs for the 305P:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE (±3dB) 49Hz – 20kHz
FREQUENCY RANGE (-10dB) 43Hz – 24kHz
LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION (-10dB) 43Hz

My in-room response as per REW is below. I am surprised to see extension down to 40Hz and it looks like my room is actually giving it a bit of boost at 45Hz. I've already applied the filters in Roon and overall the bottom end is more controlled.

This is in my living room and I am thinking if a sub would help fill the gap below 40 Hz, but the subwoofer needs to be small and discrete. If it doesn't go flat all the way to 20, thats fine. Any suggestions? Is it even worth considering?

I found this, but not sure how good it is - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1177519-REG/genelec_7040apm_7040a_studio_subwoofer.html

View attachment 11379

Genelec make solid, function oriented products. Their subs don’t rattle or shake, they simply emit lower frequencies as stated in specs.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I tried a B&w asw300. The issue is the floor is floating and this is an old,creaky house so the vibrations were disconcerting. The sub is downward firing. I tried placing it on an auralex subdude base but didn’t help much.

The LF soundwaves are likely to do this with any subwoofer in the conditions you describe. Best to try before you buy if you can.

For the same LF cut-off frequency, all else being equal, the sealed enclosure will produce less LF energy(amplitude) below that frequency - assuming no low end DSP boosting. This could help.

You probably will find that a compromise between LF extension and SPL has to be made.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

If you are going to excite the room with low frequency acoustic pressure then it will.......well.... get excited :) If you want to decouple the box to the floor you'll need some kind of compliant device. No spikes wont do that :)

My preference is for sealed speakers. They have better transient response, also with subs you wont get a sharp roll off below the port frequency which could be an issue if you are looking at smaller designs. Possibly easier to EQ to get lower frequency extension as you wont get so massive excursion below port tuning point.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Rythmik L12? Or F12 (that is what I own)?

Define "small" and what is your price range?

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its current on B&W website and readily available in a quick online search

http://www.bowers-wilkins.net/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/ASW608.html

I need to get better at finding things or get enough sleep. I cannot find anyone who sells this!

Rythmik L12? Or F12 (that is what I own)?

Define "small" and what is your price range?

The ASW608 would be a good size -
Height 260mm (10.2in) not including feet
Width 260mm (10.2in)
Depth 330mm (13in) including grille and controls

Price should ideally be <$500 USD.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I need to get better at finding things or get enough sleep. I cannot find anyone who sells this!

Width 260mm (10.2in)

Add price after item descriptor in Google Search.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
B&W's subs have historically not compared well to most other but I know they revamped their line last year so maybe they have improved.

Rythmik L12: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

Width 260mm (10.2in)

upload_2018-3-15_10-47-23.png

I paid $700 AUD so that should come in your budget

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, they are dealer only. Forgot about that. I’ll make a few calls. Thanks. I got my asw300 off of Craigslist for 100 bucks a long time ago. Found it hard to integrate with any stereo system.

Don, I looked at the rythmiks. I know mitchco recommends them too.. too large for my living room :(

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My preference is for sealed speakers. They have better transient response

How much transient is there to respond to when the sub is limited on the high side to 80Hz or so?

I'll be playing with sealing and unsealing the port on the cheezewoofers soon.

Realizing the volume of the cabinets likely won't be optimal, assuming the electronics don't limit the low end, what do you think I'll see (measured)?

Experiment:

upload_2018-3-15_0-22-39.png

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Remember the driver is acting against a different "supension" and this controlling behaviour is different between sealed and ported. Ill find some links but here is one

http://audiojudgement.com/sealed-enclosure-closed-box/

But if you take the term "transient" in a more subjective sense, sealed always sounds more controlled to me. Im making far too many subjective observations lately, have to stop it.

Last edited:
OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the connection options for the ASW608, I don’t see how it can integrate with the active JBLs. It doesn’t have a line out.

The Genelec 7040a I mentioned earlier only goes down to 30Hz. Not sure if that is adding enough value.

I may have to settle with my dogs being the only woofers in the living room. They are quite compact and go really low (to the ground) :D

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Looking at the connection options for the ASW608, I don’t see how it can integrate with the active JBLs. It doesn’t have a line out.

The Genelec 7040a I mentioned earlier only goes down to 30Hz. Not sure if that is adding enough value.

I may have to settle with my dogs being the only woofers in the living room. They are quite compact :D

I need to clarify what you intend here. I have just looked at the JBLs and would I be correct in saying you are feeding them with balanced xlr? Does your source only have balanced out?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

I may have to settle with my dogs being the only woofers in the living room. They are quite compact :D

In room response may deviate from stated specs (so it will go a bit lower). However, its stated SPL is 100 dB only, which means it lacks ideal headroom if you play louder than 75-80 dB (headroom of 20-25 dB is a safe margin).

There is a subjective listening here (Google translate):

https://m.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/genelec-7040a-test.html

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to clarify what you intend here. I have just looked at the JBLs and would I be correct in saying you are feeding them with balanced xlr? Does your source only have balanced out?

Yes, I am using balanced XLR. Source is Topping DX7s which has unbalanced RCA connectors as well. I suppose I should check if both output pairs are active at the same time on the Topping.

Capture.JPG

Top Bottom