• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compact desktop passive speakers under $800 recommendation

altme

I'm looking for some speakers similiar to Dali Oberon 1, same sound style and form factor but considered a step up with a price under $800 which is easy to find in Europe.

I have tried and listened to Tannoy Mercury VRi, Monitor Audio Bronze 50, Klipsch RP-500M, B&W 607 S2, Q Acoustics 3010I, KEF Q150 and I wasn't completely happy with them for the reasons below.

What I like in the Dali speakers and didn't find in the others is the warm and round sound they produce with rolled-off treble and voices sounding natural.
They also sound big to me for their size, detailed, punchy and they seem to dissapear very well (I don't feel like getting sound from 2 small boxes in front of me) without them being picky about their placement.

Is there any other pair you have listened to that would fit my prefs and I should look into? Thanks

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Elac DBR62 is US$600/pair. Review.
1624834694889.png

Polk R200 is $700/pair. Review.
1624834688073.png

RoA

I have to say I'd rather listen to a good Headphone system than putting speakers in front of me on a desk. But would I have to I'd likely go active or powered.

Still, the OP requires passive so a pair of Neat Iota's it would likely be powered by an Exposure XM5.

ivayvr

I am finding Triangle Titus EZ to be exceptional value. I never heard a speaker in this price range with such spectacular micro dynamics. You can play them soft or loud with the same amount of enjoyment. At the same time, I would suggest if at all possible, to have the listen first. I ordered mine based on a number of on line reviews and they exceeded my expectations.
https://www.trianglehifi.com/en/produit/hifi-bookshelf-speaker-titus-ez/

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what are micro dynamics?

ivayvr

microdynamics = dynamic contrasts of very low-level information; intimately related to low-level resolution, but referring to the existence, or lack thereof, of _dynamic contrasts_ of said low-level information

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
low level as in low volume?

Top Bottom