• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compact bookshelf speakers (width under 15cm/6")

vito45

Hi,
Could you recommend me passive compact bookshelf speakers?
They would sit next to my pc monitor so I want them to be small and they don't need to be powerful.
They will be used for playing music and some serials.
I want to power them using Topping MX3 and they should cost around 100-300€ for pair.
For now it looks that that Q acoustics 3010i or Jamo S 801 are not bad choices.

BillG

Major Contributor
OP
V

vito45

These Miccas looks really good, I wanted order them but they are not available in Europe :(

digicidal

Major Contributor
Depending on availability at european distributors, another consideration might be the Def Tech ProMonitor 1000's. They have authorized refurbs available @ $139.99 ea or new they run $219/ea - and they might be available locally - plus you could then return them if they weren't what you wanted. With a passive radiator (up firing) they're very flexible as far as placement is concerned and considering the size, remarkably full range. They are about 1cm wider than specified - but they have a smaller version that's more compact (ProMonitor 800 @$149/ea). They have a ton of online dealers as well - likely one near-ish to you.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should consider how your placement will impact bass response when making a decision. Most small speakers have rear bass ports which can cause issues if they are placed close to a wall or firing into a cabinet. Front ports, or sealed acoustic suspension speakers are usually less impacted in these situations. The top mounted radiator on the Deftechs could work well if there is no shelf right above them.

I am very sensitive to this issue because my speakers load backwards into a hutch/cabinet so even very good small speakers like the MIcca's above sound terrible without a lot of EQ. JBL makes several small sealed speakers including the Arena 120 & B15 that sound really good in these conditions but I think they are 7" wide. I see Polk makes several small speakers with front ports.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I am very sensitive to this issue because my speakers load backwards into a hutch/cabinet so even very good small speakers like the MIcca's above sound terrible without a lot of EQ.

That's how my Adam T7V's are in my entertainment center... but a couple of rolled up old socks solved a myriad of problems (they still benefit from EQ naturally, but they need much less in the LF range than before).

Willem

Major Contributor
I have a set of QAcoustics 3010 (not the 3010i) in the bedroom and I am quite pleased. I had to reduce the top end a bit with the CCA tone control, and both plug the bass port and boost bass level a bit, but this may well be due to their location (hanging) very close to the side walls. I also tried them in my desktop, instead of my usual Harbeth P3ESRs. Of course the latter are much better, but the little QAcoustics speakers were not unpleasant at all. What struck me most, and what is very important in near field use, was the good driver integration. In this respect they were much better than my previous bedroom speakers, the Wharfedale 9.0

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Vanatoo T zero's. They're great.
@SIY reviewed them as well, they seem excellently designed.

digicidal

Major Contributor
OP
V

vito45

Thanks for help.
Most time I had problems with availability in my country (EU). I am hoping that sometime it will be possible to order from Amazon USA with reasonable shipping (FYI I already ordered from serveral Amazon stores, even Amazon Japan).

Long story short, I end up ordering Edifier R1850DB for 200€.
They are powered so I will save some money on amplifier, they are 154mm wide, bass reflex port is in front so can be positioned next to wall.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
I have no idea how they measure, but they look nice enough and the price is low enough that you can always replace them down the road if you don't care for them. I though we were looking for passives... for active monitors there could have been a number of local suggestions for you in the pro-audio realm that are fantastic performers.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy them. If you can take measurements, please do and post them back here so we can check them out.

OP
V

vito45

Originally I wanted passive speakers but as more I get deeper to what is available to me and with my budget I just end up with this active speakers.
At the end they are on third place in my "sound food chain", mostly I am using Sennheiser HD6XX and JBL Studio 580.

I would like to do some measurements but I am lacking measuring devices. Maybe when I retire I will do some like Amir :) (I work as electrical designer)

Top Bottom