• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Communication between PC and Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Ongii

Hello!
Is the following flow actually possible?
My idea is to use the focusrite as a kind of source selector (not both active concurrently), and the PC with JRiver, hosting a Bass Management DSP (redirecting bass from the front speakers to a pair of stereo subs) and Dirac Live DSP.
All the communication would be via USB cable, apart from the one from the turntable to the focusrite, and from this one to the AVR.
Is it in fact possible to have Windows sources outputting to Focusrite via ASIO, and at the same time instructing Windows to join ("listen to") the input to JRiver?

I hope the graph is clear :)

...or maybe is it feasible by just adding a second multichannel dac (like another 18i20)?

Thanks so much in advance!
Ongii

flow.jpg

thulle

I'm uncertain about ASIO as I'm using Linux, but otherwise it's kind of what I'm doing. I only got mic as input, but I can select what input I want in the PC. There's also "mix channels" in the scarlett with the possibility of mixing two or more inputs in the hardware and then select that mix as input on the PC. I then use my PC as crossover and use 4 output channels for desktop speakers + 2 subs. I'm currently building 8 subwoofers with the intent of having each on their own channel, with the later plan to add another 18i20 to use the extra output channels over ADAT to do the crossover for the desktop speakers in the PC too.

It looks something like this in pipewire that I use to route audio on the PC:

2022-06-01-114654_1100x851_scrot.png

PEQ is a virtual soundcard that all applications use by default, just to make it easy to select where to input audio in the chain. Sound goes to a parametric equalizer, and then both to the digital outputs on my built-in soundcard, the first 2 output channels on the 18i20 and to a 80hz crossover that outputs bass to output 2 & 3 on the 18i20, and the remaining signal to output 4 & 5.

OP
Ongii

Ongii

:( it looks like it doesn't work. actually. The problem seems to be that the Focusrite Scarlett driver is not multi-client capable.
I am trying my luck with SW mixers like Voicemeeter or "DS WASAPI ASIO Router Mixer", but get stutters, etc.
Maybe at the end I will buy another multichannel audio interface and use this as a kind of source switch?

thulle

Can you bump buffer size in the mixer? And/or increase process priority?

OP
Ongii

Ongii

:( it looks like it doesn't work. actually. The problem seems to be that the Focusrite Scarlett driver is not multi-client capable.
I am trying my luck with SW mixers like Voicemeeter or "DS WASAPI ASIO Router Mixer", but get stutters, etc.
Maybe at the end I will buy another multichannel audio interface and use this as a kind of source switch?
I confirm: with Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 I can't access multiple times. The driver seems not to support multi-clients (and this means e.g. ASIO and WASAPI at the same time)

Top Bottom