• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Common Cell Phone vs Dedicated DAC/AMP Performance Request

luft262

It would be great if Amir would measure the DAC and AMP in a common cell phone, such as an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy or something like that. If we had results from a few phones we could compare that to what you get with a good AMP or DAC, such as the Topping or JDS Labs, and see what you're getting by moving up to a dedicated AMP/DAC setup.

Thank you for all that you do Amir!

OP
luft262

luft262

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Aren't most phones going single connector (USB-C or lightning) sans headphone jack and using dongles instead?
Seems like a lost cause reviewing the built in head-amp, and there are many dongles reviewed here.

While $100 is not a ton of money and there seem to be good ones at that price. I would like to see the budget champ that I don't feel like I've seen yet. I don't need or want a $100 dongle for my garage speakers, $40 travel ear buds or ANC (travel/office) headphones. But It seems like all of the inexpensive ones either can't drive any of those to sufficient levels (either not enough voltage due to design limits or dB regulation limits) or are cheaply made and have very poor audio quality.

OP
luft262

luft262

Aren't most phones going single connector (USB-C or lightning) sans headphone jack and using dongles instead?
Seems like a lost cause reviewing the built in head-amp, and there are many dongles reviewed here.

While $100 is not a ton of money and there seem to be good ones at that price. I would like to see the budget champ that I don't feel like I've seen yet. I don't need or want a $100 dongle for my garage speakers, $40 travel ear buds or ANC (travel/office) headphones. But It seems like all of the inexpensive ones either can't drive any of those to sufficient levels (either not enough voltage due to design limits or dB regulation limits) or are cheaply made and have very poor audio quality.

That's a good point. Very few flagship phones have a headphone jack nowadays...

Top Bottom