• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comment on my first room measurements?

th0m

Since getting a RME ADI-2 DAC I thought I might as well take advantage of the EQ settings to try and make some rudimentary room correction in my horrible living room setup. I got myself a MiniDSP UMIK-1 and started fiddling around a bit today. Sadly I couldn't get REW to work, so I had to settle with the room measurement plugin available for Foobar. You can see the before/after results in the attached pictures. I'm just starting to learn so obviously not great, but a small improvement right?

Would a subwoofer be able to help in any way with the low frequencies or should I look elsewhere? Since it's my living room there's limits to what I can do in terms of room treatment, speaker positioning etc.

Before:
before.jpg
After:
after.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
T

th0m

What was the problem?
I am using the standard Windows driver with the ADI, which means the only bit depth available is 32-bit. REW only works with 16-bit though as I understand it, so I haven't been able to figure out how to get around that.

exaudio

Forum Donor
Have you installed ASIO4ALL? I'm not at expert REW user, but I believe that in order to use your RME ADI-2 DAC and your MiniDSP UMIK-1 you need to use ASIO4ALL (or alternatively you can use the Java drivers). I don't think you can select RME's ASIO driver and also use UMIK-1. ASIO4ALL will still make use of RME's own ASIO driver but it will also let REW use your UMIK-1.

OP
T

th0m

Have you installed ASIO4ALL? I'm not at expert REW user, but I believe that in order to use your RME ADI-2 DAC and your MiniDSP UMIK-1 you need to use ASIO4ALL (or alternatively you can use the Java drivers). I don't think you can select RME's ASIO driver and also use UMIK-1. ASIO4ALL will still make use of RME's own ASIO driver but it will also let REW use your UMIK-1.
Ah, thanks. The Java drivers is what I attempted to use, but all I get is an error message saying the device doesn't support 16-bit/[whatever sample rate I've chosen]. Will try ASIO4ALL next then.

Top Bottom