• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

Kervel

Forum Donor
The Flex HT cannot decode DTS/Atmos/AC-3 internally. That means that to use those formats, your TV has to decode them and then send the LPCM data to the Flex.

If you can set the digital audio output format to PCM in the TV's settings, then it should work.
Thank you, much appreciated!

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Flex HT cannot decode DTS/Atmos/AC-3 internally. That means that to use those formats, your TV has to decode them and then send the LPCM data to the Flex.

If you can set the digital audio output format to PCM in the TV's settings, then it should work.
So how does my TV ( LG C0 oled) know how many and which channels of Atmos content to send over eARC?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh great, we have been waiting for this for so long!

The LPCM only got me worried though. Do TVs convert say a regular Dolby 5.1 compressed streaming audio from say a native Netflix app running in the TV to a 5.1 LPCM format for the AVP? Or would it use only 2.0? This could potentially be a deal breaker...

staticV3

Master Contributor
So how does my TV ( LG C0 oled) know how many and which channels of Atmos content to send over eARC?
I would guess it doesn't and only supports outputting channel-based surround formats as PCM.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Apple TV can decode ATMOS. So it might require an HDMI "splitter" from the Apple TV to the TV and MiniDSP. Or maybe the TV can be a pass-through for HDMI?
With eARC the tv will pass through the audio. Connect your Roku, NVidia Shield, ATV, Firestick et al to the TV, then connect the eARC port on the TV to the miniDSP. TV becomes the switcher. BTW, HDMI is limited to 8 channels in LPCM, but can pass as many bitstream channels as your ATMOS receiver requires. So, no even if it had more channels, it could not be a substitute for an ATMOS, DTS-X, Auro 3D AV receiver.

Last edited:

NirreFirre

Forum Donor
Whoa, very very nice timing if this is reasonable priced.
Having a htpc (lpcm for life!) and projector with sonos as the main sources (also Switch, PS5 etc all doing lpcm 5.1+) for years without a good diracenabled avr in the EU for normal money has been sad. And now that the Onkyo, Pioneer have started shipping at least one or two once in a while for inflated prices, more competition is great.
An automatic hdmi 2.1 switch in front of this one to allow for expansion, all separate amps and the 12V trigger and we're good (no room, content preferences or wife for Atmos to be an option) . Let's hope it measures good.

Left

Huh, was just about to ask Minidsp if they would consider making this. One thing I would like: an additional mixing/routing stage at the very end of the pipeline. The extra channels could then be used to implement functions such as bass compression without affecting the rest of the signal or automatic loudness compensation. Or my favorite, a crude Dolby prologic decoder. Guess that final one is now even less compelling. Perhaps by the time I am ready to buy Minidsp will sell Dolby/DTS plugin.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any Atmos track will have have a base DD+ or DTHD track embedded (I assume). Whether your TV would then be able to output that as LPCM is another matter. I think they'd most likely be able to either output the bitstream DD+ or only 2 channel PCM.

Nick Laslett

I’m using the minidsp nanoavr DL and nanoavr HDA combo. This looks like a replacement for these two boxes with the addition of an 8 channel DAC. What is not to like? My Oppo UHD203 does the decoding of DTS/Dolby and is a hub for Apple TV. I assume regular audio HDMI 1.4 will be okay as an input. I’m not clear on HDMI eARC and how that differs from HDMI 1.4.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I’m using the minidsp nanoavr DL and nanoavr HDA combo. This looks like a replacement for these two boxes with the addition of an 8 channel DAC. What is not to like? My Oppo UHD203 does the decoding of DTS/Dolby and is a hub for Apple TV. I assume regular audio HDMI 1.4 will be okay as an input. I’m not clear on HDMI eARC and how that differs from HDMI 1.4.
eARC can pass high res signals for DTS and Atmos tracks that contain a larger volume of information.

Nick Laslett

eARC can pass high res signals for DTS and Atmos tracks that contain a larger volume of information.
Thanks. Makes sense.

I just looked at Amir’s review of the Flex 8. This could be a stunning 8 channel DAC with Dirac and bass management, if it has similar performance. It will be interesting to see how HDMI input compares to the Flex 8 measurements.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think you are confusing a DAC with a DSP processor/controller/preamplifier.
Both products grab the attention of those that don't want to put up with AVRs for multichannel content. But the DM7 does the job poorly.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone know a TV that decodes Dolby/DTS and sends out as multichannel PCM through eARC/ARC?

Otherwise, the only use with this unit is a Blu-ray drive.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both products grab the attention of those that don't want to put up with AVRs for multichannel content. But the DM7 does the job poorly.
“Grabbing attention” doesn’t mean they are similar. It means they are not informed.

Topping is a USB to 8x analogue out DAC.

This one offers “a full suite of miniDSP's flexible routing and audio processing features: advanced bass management, parametric EQ, crossovers, advanced biquad programming and delay/gain adjustments. In addition, the miniDSP Flex HT is software-upgradable with full-frequency multichannel Dirac Live®, the world’s premiere room correction system.” And, “with HDMI eARC/ARC, control of your whole AV system from the TV remote has never been easier thanks to CEC integration.”

Joffy1780

Has anyone know a TV that decodes Dolby/DTS and sends out as multichannel PCM through eARC/ARC?

Otherwise, the only use with this unit is a Blu-ray drive.
No, I've never heard of a TV with that functionality. It would be useless really.
HTPC users may be interested and my Apple TV outputs LPCM, but it's a very niche market, to say the least.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I've never heard of a TV with that functionality. It would be useless really.
HTPC users may be interested and my Apple TV outputs LPCM, but it's a very niche market, to say the least.
So either a legacy or a walled garden product can be used as source…and only in surround, no spatial audio.

Joffy1780

So either a legacy or a walled garden product can be used as source…and only in surround, no spatial audio.
You would need to add an HDMI extractor which offers the ability to output 7.1 LPCM via HDMI rather than just straight passthrough. Not sure whether they even exist and just adds to the expense and complexity.
Until miniDSP add support for DTHD or DTSHD decoding they're not going to worry any of the mainstream AVR manufacturers....IMHO of course.

Top Bottom