• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

al2002

Forum Donor
Just got this from MiniDSP:

The Flex HT is miniDSP’s answer to our customers looking for a pocket-sized multichannel processor with HDMI ARC/eARC capabilities. Our team was able to cram a full eight channels of DSP power and a wide range of I/O into the unbelievably compact enclosure. Eight-channel audio input is via linear PCM over USB Audio or HDMI eARC. Additional stereo input is supported over SPDIF and TOSLINK optical.

Internally, we’ve provided a full suite of miniDSP's flexible routing and audio processing features: advanced bass management, parametric EQ, crossovers, advanced biquad programming and delay/gain adjustments. In addition, the miniDSP Flex HT is software-upgradable with full-frequency multichannel Dirac Live®, the world’s premiere room correction system. The eight-channel analog RCA outputs feature class-leading low noise and distortion figures. With HDMI eARC/ARC, control of your whole AV system from the TV remote has never been easier thanks to CEC integration. Please note that the Flex HT does not support bitstream (e.g. Dolby/DTS) decoding – the connected HDMI device must be able to output linear PCM (LPCM) for multichannel support over HDMI.

Last but not least, the Flex HT is miniDSP's first product to include WiSA (“Wireless Speaker and Audio Association”) capability. WiSA is designed specifically for low-latency multichannel audio – a perfect match for the Flex HT! The WiSA transmitter we build into each Flex HT can losslessly transmit all eight output channels to WiSA-compatible speakers and subwoofers. After a simple pairing procedure, you're good to go!

The miniDSP Flex HT is the perfect solution for a modern compact processor for multichannel sound. You just need to let your creativity do the rest!

Flex HT 1000px

Last edited:

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Though of no use to me personally I read a lot of threads on multichannel DACs about the desire for HDMI. It seems miniDSP was listening to you all: Flex HT

"STOCK UPDATE: This product is currently in final stages of manufacturing. We expect shipments to start in the coming Q2 2023."

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 12.45.17 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 12.45.36 PM.jpg

ChrisHeinonen

?o bitstream support, that's limiting its usage.
What are the devices having HDMI input / HDMI output doing bitstream to PCM decoding ?
For one example, the Apple TV does all the bitstream decoding internally and sends 7.1 channel PCM out. So if that was connected to a TV and the TV could pass the 7.1 signal over eARC, then it would work well.

dwkdnvr

This is an interesting offering and I'm curious as to what the price will be. I suspect it'll creep up into HT receiver levels which will make it a tougher sell. Still, getting closer to what so many have been clamoring for - a way to run a hybrid audio/video system while getting away from HT Receivers. WISA support is particularly intriguing, as long as it is flexible enough to pick-and-choose which channels are routed that way - wireless surrounds and wired mains is probably a normal scenario.

The choice to support ONLY ARC/eARC seems to be potentially limiting, but I say that having never used it seriously. If this allows using external sources (disc, roku, AppleTV etc) with the TV handling switching and reliably routing 7.1 LPCM audio back out over ARC, then I certainly see the application. In fact, this is likely a better fit for my system than the SHD is.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an interesting offering and I'm curious as to what the price will be. I suspect it'll creep up into HT receiver levels which will make it a tougher sell. Still, getting closer to what so many have been clamoring for - a way to run a hybrid audio/video system while getting away from HT Receivers. WISA support is particularly intriguing, as long as it is flexible enough to pick-and-choose which channels are routed that way - wireless surrounds and wired mains is probably a normal scenario.

The choice to support ONLY ARC/eARC seems to be potentially limiting, but I say that having never used it seriously. If this allows using external sources (disc, roku, AppleTV etc) with the TV handling switching and reliably routing 7.1 LPCM audio back out over ARC, then I certainly see the application. In fact, this is likely a better fit for my system than the SHD is.
That's exactly the correct use case. The TV does the decoding/switching and passes LPCM via eARC to the miniDSP. If it's under $800, it a great fit for a whole lot of people. Needs to offer TRS balanced outs, and DLBC, however.

dwkdnvr

That's exactly the correct use case. The TV does the decoding and passes LPCM via eARC to the miniDSP. If it's under $800, it a great fit for a whole lot of people.
I'll guess that it'll be well above $800. I'm guessing at least $1100 plus at least $300 extra for multi-channel DIRAC, but with the Flex-8 only being $599 maybe I'm being too pessimistic (since there are no codec licensing concerns since it's LPCM only). If it is $800 for the base unit, it may be an auto-buy for me just in order to simplify my setup, although I don't know what I'd do with the SHD in that case.

MCH

Major Contributor
in Europe, the flex 8 with dirac 2 channels is 1k.....

still i am happy they release a product like this, will be reading with interest what can/cannot do

helnorsk

Finally
At the beginning of this year, I asked to minidsp corp. which device could replace my two minidsp nanoavr dl and nanoavr hda, perhaps with usb and hdmi inputs and multichannels rca outputs, with dirac and bass management all in one device, and they told me to be patient because I would have what I was looking for!

Plcamp

withoutsuit

That's exactly the correct use case. The TV does the decoding/switching and passes LPCM via eARC to the miniDSP. If it's under $800, it a great fit for a whole lot of people. Needs to offer TRS balanced outs, and DLBC, however.
Which TV is able to decode Dolby Atmos and pass it on as LPCM - is there any?

EDIT: It seems that some TVs are able to that, like Samsungs The Frame. Probably my Sony Bravia isn't?!

Smitty2k1

Could this finally be an AVR replacement (sans Dolby/dts decoding)?

Assuming you have a smart TV that has good HDMI passthrough you could plug HDMI devices (Blu-ray, PC) into the TV. Regular stereo audio devices (CD player, streamer) could go straight into the MiniDSP. Would be a little different from an AVR where all devices go into the AVR first, but not sure that matters with eARC (when it works).

Wondering how much the lack of Dolby and DTS decoding will hold this back.

Also, a decent AVR can be had for $500 and I'm guessing this will be well beyond that. Then you know... Add 8 amps...

HooStat

The Apple TV can decode ATMOS. So it might require an HDMI "splitter" from the Apple TV to the TV and MiniDSP. Or maybe the TV can be a pass-through for HDMI?

Kervel

Forum Donor
"The audio source must be able to output linear PCM (LPCM) for multichannel support over HDMI." What does that mean? If I use the Netflix app on my TV, I understand it can output 5.1, would that work?? I don't see the MChannel application.

staticV3

Master Contributor
"The audio source must be able to output linear PCM (LPCM) for multichannel support over HDMI." What does that mean?
The Flex HT cannot decode DTS/Atmos/AC-3 internally. That means that to use those formats, your TV has to decode them and then send the LPCM data to the Flex.
If I use the Netflix app on my TV, I understand it can output 5.1, would that work??
If you can set the digital audio output format to PCM in the TV's settings, then it should work.

stren

Forum Donor
Nice - if I can plug this into my TV or my HTPC and have no AVR, this would be perfect!

Top Bottom