• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comfortable closed back headphones for eyeglass wearers?

RHO

Major Contributor
My head is huge - so big that a lot of XL winter hats won't go over it. But the area around the ears should be pretty flat on all skulls, surely?
I think that depends on multiple factors.
Add to that the enormous amount of designs for frames and it is nearly impossible to predict if a certain type of headphones will create a good deal for everyone or not.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But the area around the ears should be pretty flat on all skulls, surely?

In fact, absolutely not. Quite the opposite. Not just the geometry is uneven, but also the "softness" of the surface, whether the skin rests close to a bony part of not. One of the limitations of current ear simulators I'm starting to think.

Last edited:
Reactions: RHO

imateacup

I think that depends on multiple factors.
Add to that the enormous amount of designs for frames and it is nearly impossible to predict if a certain type of headphones will create a good deal for everyone or not.

I bought new glasses last week. I have to say, I didn't see an "enormous" variation in arm designs for glasses. Colour, yes. The shape of lenses, yes. But I don't really think these things are going to affect seal...

The biggest variation I've ever seen is between frames with thin metal arms and the chunky arms on my wraparounds - which fit **over** regular glasses, adding even more to their thickness. And it makes no real difference.

imateacup

In fact, absolutely not. Quite the opposite. Not just the geometry is uneven, but also the "softness" of the surface, whether the skin rests close to a bony part of not.

I have to say that I'm dubious. Firstly there's no substantial muscle there to provide padding. And I honestly can't remember ever seeing someone with a *literally* fat head. In fact the head is designed so you can't have major amounts of fat or muscle on the skull - brain cooling is a major biological requirement for human beings in most climates, so evolution filtered out people with genes for insulating their skulls above the back of the neck.

Otoh, the available pads for the HD25 alter uncompressed cushioning by about 2cm...

Last edited:

TunaBug

Forum Donor
I prefer over the ear to on the ear or IEMs. I wear glasses, and have an unusually large noggin. If I was a hat person I'd know my hat size and tell you.

As for seals: I've read some comments here about frame thickness, and it's a bit more complicated than that. My current glasses have a Nike 4306 frame. The side are thin, but they're also very stiff. At the point where the pads meet them the glasses are about 7mm out from my head without headphones, or 6mm when wearing my DCA Noires. I think flexibility of the glasses impacts seal, too.

Having said all that, I find the DCA Aeon Noires to be the most comfortable headphones I can remember. Is seal better if I take the headphones off? Yes. But it's minor for me, probably owing to the long hair which impacts seal regardless of glasses. I can wear these for hours with no physical discomfort, which is far more import to me than the seal.

I'm currently thinking about giving my HD6xx headphones to somebody for Christmas and replacing them with some model open-back model DCA Aeon. I really like how the HD6xx sound, but they're uncomfortable to wear, especially with glasses.

imateacup

I prefer over the ear to on the ear or IEMs. I wear glasses, and have an unusually large noggin. If I was a hat person I'd know my hat size and tell you.
Just put a tape measure around your head and quote cm if it comes up: actual hat sizes don't seem to used much any more. I'm around a 64cm, which is as big as a human being gets without getting forced into a freak show. Otoh my gf's head is small even for a woman and the same headphones fit both of us **when properly adjusted.**

The thing that makes the biggest difference re. on ear phones - over than adjustment and especially setting clamping force correctly on headphones that allow it (so Porta Pros and "real" HD25s) is your choice of pads. If you have a popular model then the aftermarket should give a huge choice. Eg these are HD25 earpads. Variation in spectacle arm is tiny by comparison.

yaxi08.jpg

That's from https://www.bamfsound.com/yaxi-comfort-earpads-sennheiser-hd25/ Like they say "Long story short, we could wear our HD25’s on location for hours on end with less fatigue, even while wearing glasses." The difference in feel between thin hard pads and fat squashy ones is what you'd expect - vast. You might want to check out the options for your HD600. Eg

The HD25 might be the best headphone for pad choice though. Senn make 2, Yaxi 4, and that's far from an exclusive list. Eg

Last edited:

John_T

Try On-ear headphones vs over the ear types.

Deep insertion IEM (Etymotic) work for me.
This looks interesting, are they good for long hours ? Please share your experience about using these for long hours!

F

freemansteve

I'm an older music lover with glasses, and completely get the discomfort thing with headphones - I've tried nearly all the main brands and all are irritating, too tight, pinch ears, don't block background noise etc.. And of those, some disintegrate or just break too easily.

I recently bought some cheap Austrian Audio Hix15 (?) and they are far and away the comfiest ever, and light yet robust. Sonically, not the best for music, being a bit treble, but if you EQ they're fine. I use them for late night TV as well as music.

You can however, wear them all day, so for £89 they are fine for me - you can't really go wrong for that money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojo Warrior

This looks interesting, are they good for long hours ? Please share your experience about using these for long hours!
It takes a couple of days to become accustomed to deep insertion IEMs. I use them primarily for air travel as they are great for sealing out extraneous noise. The fidelity is also exceptional. They weigh almost nothing and take up very little space in a carry on bag. So, long hours for me would include transcontinental flights.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I find my AKG K361 headphones very comfortable, at least with my wire-temple type of glasses. Frequently wear for 3-4 hours at a time.

Top Bottom