• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comfortable closed back headphones for eyeglass wearers?

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have not tried actually used headphones in at least 25 years because I never found a pair I could wear for more than 2-3 hours without pain. Over-ear models hurt my head due to my eyeglasses, and on-ear models hurt my ears. The emergence of IEMs and smartphones was a godsend for portable use, and I have a pair of the original Sennheiser CX300s that served me well for occassional use over 15 years until one of the "bodies" just popped right off the driver a few months ago as I was pulling it out from under a stack of stuff on my desk. However, I can't wear IEMs when working--I find the "in my head" sound too distracting. Knock on wood, but my business seems to finally be about to take off and I may soon need to start going into an office to manage staff. This means either silence or once again trying headphones, so I'm wondering if there are options that would truly be comfortable all day long. They will need to be closed back with good isolation so as not to annoy others sitting a couple of meters away. I'm not certain of the budget--definitely under $500, but about half that would be strongly preferable. I'm open to gaming headphones--having the microphone would be a plus, actually. I don't need the ability to play loud--85db peaks would probably be the max unless I just liked them so well that I also used them at home. Even if I don't open an office, as we get into rainy season I am realizing that the rain hitting the corrugated metal awning over the balcony outside my home office is so loud during a storm that it is impossible to hear the other person during phone calls/Zoom meetings, etc. Although if that was the only use, IEMs or open back phones would be fine. There is a very strong chance that I will have no ability to listen to anything before I buy them, or return them if I don't like them, which is one reason I want to keep the cost down.

Edit: I am thinking that I will probably just run them straight from the headphone output of my (Linux) PC, then pick up a good dongle amp like a Tempotec or E1DA if I confirm that I like using them. I do not want a desktop box. I can EQ them but not measure them, so if they need EQ it will need to be a model that has settings available or at least a reliable FR graph I can use as a starting point.

Last edited:

mysiak

I have Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro with Brainwavz oval sheepskin earpads and these are the most comfortable headphones I have. Comfort is great even with genuine velour pads, but Brainwavz oval sheepskin take them to another level. Sound is surprisingly good as well, there is no bass difference when I wear my thin flat eyeglasses or not. Noise isolation is extremely good. Bass slider is a very nice feature, I switch between "neutral" (position 2) bass for music/dialog based content and "enhanced" (position 3) bass for action movies or games. Detachable cable can be swapped with basically any 3.5mm cable (other headphones like Sennheiser or Audio Technica tend to require special cable/adapter).

Sadly this model is out of production already (probably can be still bought from old stock), but I believe that Beyerdynamic Custom Game is a serious alternative and might fit all of your requirements, microphone including (https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-reference/blog/reviews/beyerdynamic-custom-game-headphone-review).

phrwn

As a general point I’d agree with the implication of the first reply.

The nature of the arms on your glasses will have more affect than the headphone.
This is what I've found. They need to be thin, flat, and most importantly, flexible. I have titanium flat-armed Silhouettes and they're fine with over-ear headphones. The same is not the case with some very thin-armed, but more rigid Masunagas.

As for headphones, on-ears are a disaster. The most comfortable I've got are Cooler Master MH571's, but the E-Mu Teaks are fine too.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
This is what I've found. They need to be thin, flat, and most importantly, flexible. I have titanium flat-armed Silhouettes and they're fine with over-ear headphones. The same is not the case with some very thin-armed, but more rigid Masunagas.

As for headphones, on-ears are a disaster. The most comfortable I've got are Cooler Master MH571's, but the E-Mu Teaks are fine too.

I also wear eyeglasses when listening with headphones. I have Oakley and Silhouettes and the Silhouettes are the only ones I can wear when listening with my DCA AEON 2 Noires. With my Oakleys I get lot of bass leaking when listening with CB headphones. OB headphones are OK with any frame.

Mojo Warrior

Try On-ear headphones vs over the ear types.

Deep insertion IEM (Etymotic) work for me.

OP
Walter

Walter

Thanks for the responses. To reply in no particular order:

I've worn metal frames with thin ear pieces since high school, including when I previously tried and failed to find headphones that I could stand. Frame selections are not great here, and I have various factors with my prescription that limit my options, so the chance of finding some with particularly flexible earpieces is not great. Plus, with my prescription, buying new glasses could cost more than the headphones, even here in a developing nation.

On-ear is almost certainly not an option. I know that there have been advances since I last tried headphones, but I tried several different types and never found any I could wear for more than two hours--and then not again until the next day at the soonest.

I love IEMs, but as I mentioned, I have difficulty working while wearing them.

OP
Walter

Walter

I also wear eyeglasses. They have thin metal temples, and that makes a big difference. My phones are Audio Technica ATH-M40x. They seal reasonably well and are comfortable. They're also easy to drive. The lower cost means that if anything goes wrong, I'll just throw them away and buy a new pair. However, I've had them 2 years and there's nothing amiss. Jim
They seem really good but unfortunately throwing them away and getting a new pair is not really an option unless I am willing to wait several months to get them, and the reports of them breaking frequently at the hinge is a bit worrying. I guess if I bought a pair and liked them, they are cheap enough that maybe I could get a spare pair as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

I have Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro with Brainwavz oval sheepskin earpads and these are the most comfortable headphones I have. Comfort is great even with genuine velour pads, but Brainwavz oval sheepskin take them to another level. Sound is surprisingly good as well, there is no bass difference when I wear my thin flat eyeglasses or not. Noise isolation is extremely good. Bass slider is a very nice feature, I switch between "neutral" (position 2) bass for music/dialog based content and "enhanced" (position 3) bass for action movies or games. Detachable cable can be swapped with basically any 3.5mm cable (other headphones like Sennheiser or Audio Technica tend to require special cable/adapter).

Sadly this model is out of production already (probably can be still bought from old stock), but I believe that Beyerdynamic Custom Game is a serious alternative and might fit all of your requirements, microphone including (https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-reference/blog/reviews/beyerdynamic-custom-game-headphone-review).
These might work if I can find EQ settings somewhere without having to pay $100 for Sonarworks. Without EQ, that frequency response looks awful. Not much info about comfort with glasses--one Amazon review says good(ish) and another says awful, and that's it.

Last edited:

phrwn

On-ear is almost certainly not an option.
This is correct. I recently tried some HD25's for the first time since wearing glasses and didn't last more than about fifteen minutes, even with my comfortable glasses on. Having the back of your ear pressed into the outside of the arm of the glasses is a level of discomfort you can't even imagine until you've experienced it.

OP
Walter

Walter

This is correct. I recently tried some HD25's for the first time since wearing glasses and didn't last more than about fifteen minutes, even with my comfortable glasses on. Having the back of your ear pressed into the outside of the arm of the glasses is a level of discomfort you can't even imagine until you've experienced it.
Yep. For me it was the top rear area. Even with some Senns that had really light pressure.

Skinner001

One way to tackle this issue is by using different earpads. I have the Ether C 1.1 with their big, lush earpads - soft enough to conform around the frame arms and not exerting too much pressure. I can wear them all day pretty easily (though I have endured plenty of discomfort when it comes to glasses due to high prescription and heavy lenses - meaning I have a higher tolerance).

Regardless of which closed back you choose (preferably one for which you can get different earpads for a reasonable price) - if you go down the route of changing earpads try to get as much info of how it may change frequency response compared to the original.

OP
Walter

Walter

I can wear them all day pretty easily (though I have endured plenty of discomfort when it comes to glasses due to high prescription and heavy lenses - meaning I have a higher tolerance).
Ditto.

I was just talking to my business partner today. Looks as if we will indeed be opening a small office next month. Location already secured. So I'm definitely open for additional recommendations, although the low cost of the ATH-M40x has me thinking they would be the ideal way to get started. They could serve as a great "proof of concept" and then I could consider getting something more expensive in the future when I can travel again and actually audition them first.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
One of the things I’ve not seen discussed is the clamp force of the arms, as caused by the angle of the arms to your ears.

If the front of your glasses is the same width as the gap between the top of your ears, the arms will come back straight along your head, leaving the frames at 90 degrees, and gave little-to-no clamping force.

If your frames are slightly less-wide than the gap between the top of your ears, then they’ll naturally press into the side of your head, whether you’re wearing headphones or not.

This will have a big affect on how much the arms press into your head, how much are left sticking out, and subsequently how much the arms might break the seal on your headphones.

Last edited:

digitallysane

Happy with my pair of Yamaha HPH-MT8.
They are quite big, so they're sitting well around the ear, and the padding is on the softer side and moulds nicely around the arms of the glasses.
They also sound great.

OP
Walter

Walter

Anyone try the Audio Technica ATH-M50x? It appears I can actually buy those here in Phnom Penh, but not the M40x or much else.

digitallysane

Anyone try the Audio Technica ATH-M50x? It appears I can actually buy those here in Phnom Penh, but not the M40x or much else.
I have those as well. I find them less comfortable than the Yamahas.
The ear piece is smaller, so they either sit very tight around your ear or will partially sit over the ear.
Nice headphones otherwise, for a good price.

imateacup

I wear glasses and HD25s. You just have to adjust them properly. Or maybe it's ear shape. But zero problems - my memory was that it wasn't a problem even when I was first trying them out. You have to remember that maximum clamping force on the HD25 is designed for a pro sound engineer in the field who can't afford to lose audio - not while running through a gale with tree branches slapping his head. If you're not doing this then you don't need to have clamping set nearly that high! Mine stay on my head overnight if I sleep in them even with very moderate clamp set.

And I suspect the type of earpads may make a difference. I normally wear the velour instead of the vinyl, and then there are options like the Yax ones - they make four and one is recommended for comfort in particular.

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
From my experience the shape of your head is the most deciding factor for getting a good seal.
I can wear any type of glasses (I have several) and get a good seal with any of my headphones. (lucky me!) I just have a small head and the arms of the glasses sit very close to my face and parallel to my temples.

imateacup

From my experience the shape of your head is the most deciding factor for getting a good seal.
I can wear any type of glasses (I have several) and get a good seal with any of my headphones. (lucky me!) I just have a small head and the arms of the glasses sit very close to my face and parallel to my temples.

My head is huge - so big that a lot of XL winter hats won't go over it. But the area around the ears should be pretty flat on all skulls, surely?

Top Bottom