• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comedy Favourites

Cosmik

Major Contributor
OP
W

W2S

Oh do miss freedom of speech

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Here's some...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Cosmik

Major Contributor
My God sometimes the anti-PC muṭawwi need to take a deep breath and calm down. Unless you believe a private group has no right to enforce standards of conduct in events it hosts, I can't see why one would have a problem with the existence of that contract.
I think the problem is 'the slippery slope'. The people objecting (including me in my own quiet way) are not worried about any particular one-off instance, but we would be worried if such a contract became standard across the board.

Many political arguments, it seems to me, are like this: against the current situation, any wacky idea can be tolerated without objection, but it is clear to those with perspicacity that 'the current situation' is only temporary. In a matter of months, the cultural landscape can be transformed beyond recognition by people desperately wanting to look virtuous. Enjoy the films of Kevin Spacey? Well don't expect to see any on TV any time soon!

So, an organisation like the BBC is probably going to start imposing similar criteria on its 'comedy' very soon - if it isn't already - and before long we will have lost another avenue of pleasure. Could Dave Allen have worked under such rules? Of course not.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
For those who like their comedy strong flavoured. Two BBC shows from 15 and 10 years ago:

This is a forgotten world: when the BBC were open to anything.

Reactions: W2S

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Anybody here who's never seen this?

Still my favourite Monty Python film - I saw it at the cinema when it came out. Strong stuff that is still shocking - and laugh out loud - all these years later. I remember feeling a bit queasy at this part, but was possibly most shocked by 'Live Organ Transplant'. You can still 'fill your boots' with this film, and I doubt there'll be anything soon to rival it.

However, recently I have enjoyed 'Aaaaaaaah!' and some of the Ben Wheatley films which definitely have 'body' you can get your teeth into. But even these are a few years old now, and beginning to resemble a distant memory - of a time when you might approach a film - even on TV (Film4) - with trepidation over what you might be about to see. Culture is becoming sanitised, timid and anodyne.

Reactions: W2S

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

IMO, It's A Gift was the greatest comedy film of all time.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who like their comedy strong flavoured. Two BBC shows from 15 and 10 years ago:

This is a forgotten world: when the BBC were open to anything.
Snuff Box was brilliant. Look at young Berry. I do wonder what happened to Fulcher.

MuseIcal

I was wondering if a thread like this existed here.

Would I Lie To You .. A.K.A. WILTY is one my favorite shows

Kevin Bridges buys a horse.

Top Bottom