• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Combining the powers of Audyssey and Dirac Live together

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't like the result though. I tried to play around a bit with the target curve, but the sound felt too dead or flat to me. It felt like it lost its realism.
How much time did you spend with it? Correcting a wild frequency response can be jarring in how different it sounds. But acclimating to it, then switching it off, will reveal how bad it sounded before. Very much depends on the speaker of course.

I agree on really good speakers, the stock Audyssey curve is not right, so you want a lower cutoff.

GalZohar

Instead of using L/R bypass you may want to just mess with the target curve a bit, trying to add back some of that missing bass.

OP
K man

K man

How much time did you spend with it? Correcting a wild frequency response can be jarring in how different it sounds. But acclimating to it, then switching it off, will reveal how bad it sounded before.
Instead of using L/R bypass you may want to just mess with the target curve a bit, trying to add back some of that missing bass.
On the fronts I've been experimenting quite a bit with this.

I've tried to set different upper limits on the curtain in Dirac and found something around 300-350Hz to give the best result. If I let Dirac adjust the frequency response up to 10kHz or something like that, I get the worse result. Then the sound becomes very dead, dull and lack dynamics.

I've tried to correct the frequency response up to 1kHz, but even then there is a lack of passion in the sound. Even at 600Hz I feel some degration of the sound. Going below 300Hz though I start getting unevenness in the bass, and letting Dirac correct it gives a better sound.

The frequency response from my speakers is reasonably flat already uncorrected, except perhaps for a +2 or 3db lift around 2-4kHz and a -1 or 2db dip around 1kHz. To even it out more, I've added a few manual PEQs.

At first I tried to set those PEQs using REW, but I didn't get it to my liking. Eventually I figured out that using a single measurement point wasn't giving me a proper picture and I was overcompensating for local issues.

Instead I tried to just eyeball out a few manual PEQs using the averaged measurement curves in Dirac - and that gave me an excellent end result. :)

Still, my general conclusion is that the higher upper frequency you set on the automatic room correction (Dirac or Audyssey) the more you lose the fun, joy and passion in the sound. Even, or perhaps even more so, when the uncorrected frequency response is a fairly flat one to begin with.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have very neutral and controlled directivity speakers and I'm in the same boat. I ended up at 400 Hz for them.

I do NOT use L/R Bypass as I think it's a terrible idea only included by Denon (not Audyssey) to appease people who were asking for it.

Top Bottom